The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cubes of Cagliostro / Wand & Block Mystery by Magiro (6 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Hi there, I found this little Magiro marvel in my drawer and performed it today with great pleasure:

Upon a quick research on martinsmagic.com I realized my copy seems to be an Italian high end rip-off of Magiro's original 'Wand & Block Mystery' (which wasn't equally aesthetically pleasing, imho).
However, my cubes, although solidly made from wood and with rounded corners are not seen on any picture of the Italian 'Cubes of Cagliostro' version.

Are there different versions out there? With different sets of cubes maybe? I even saw cubes with glitter stickers on them.

(To be clear, I'm happy with my cubes as they are because they look gorgeous and imho better then the 'edged' cubes that are displayed on martinsmagic.com. But I am curious about the origins of my copy.)

Thanks for any help!
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Dan Ford
View Profile
Special user
Illinois
674 Posts

Profile of Dan Ford
I have one of these, but my 2 cubes are square with the sharp edges. Otherwise mine is identical.
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Yeah, my Cannon version has those cubes as well. I guess yours is the Cannon's, too?
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of martonikus
I've had a few versions but yours is the nicest I've seen. I love those rounded corners!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks. Smile
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
46 Posts

Profile of mandrax
JL magic is selling an inexpensive one on his website.
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7129 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2021, mandrax wrote:

Link?

Doug
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3781 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2021, mandrax wrote:

$5.74 for a plastic version (Japan or ?)
mandrax
View Profile
New user
Montreal, Canada
46 Posts

Profile of mandrax
Quote:
On Dec 26, 2021, Julie wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 25, 2021, mandrax wrote:

$5.74 for a plastic version (Japan or ?)

Yes this is the one I was mentioning. The cubes are in wood (not plastic) with stickers. The straw is in plastic.

Here is the link:
https://m.jlmagic.net/product/move-stick......=1#start
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
60 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Quote:
On Nov 5, 2021, Nicolino wrote:
Are there different versions out there? With different sets of cubes maybe? I even saw cubes with glitter stickers on them.

(To be clear, I'm happy with my cubes as they are because they look gorgeous and imho better then the 'edged' cubes that are displayed on martinsmagic.com. But I am curious about the origins of my copy.)

Hi Nicolino,

It appears that your set is a combination of the Cubes of Cagliostro ( https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......-magiro/ ) with blocks from the later released Wand and Block Mystery c. 2002 ( https://www.martinsmagic.com/allmagic/cl......-magiro/ ) and sold by Hank Lee. Now it is likely that Cannon Magic made both sets so it is certainly possible it was shipped as your photo shows. But the images do look the same to me as the set sold by Hank.

Andy
Martin's Magic Collection
The Largest Online Collection of Rare, Vintage, and New Magic!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Thanks for chiming in, Andy.
The scenario you're suggesting might indeed very well possible as I bought my set second hand from an inheritance. Although it's thus not original, the composition of parts still seems like a 'best of two worlds' setting to me.
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
60 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Quote:
On May 31, 2022, Nicolino wrote:
Thanks for chiming in, Andy.
The scenario you're suggesting might indeed very well possible as I bought my set second hand from an inheritance. Although it's thus not original, the composition of parts still seems like a 'best of two worlds' setting to me.

Hi Nicolino,
I agree with your set looks great - also the plastic is less likely to wear away with use which can cause problems with the wooden version. Of course that normally only happens with repeated use, and since so many of these collectible props are rarely performed on a regular basis it might not be a big deal for most people. But nice when mysteries can be solved - one of the biggest reasons I take so many photos of so many tricks on my site is the more you have the easier it is to piece together new information.
Glad I could help.
andy
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2891 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
No doubt, your photographic archive is both amazing and indispensable, hands down! 👍
The Mati Envelope

Chance's Token
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
60 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Quote:
On May 31, 2022, Nicolino wrote:
No doubt, your photographic archive is both amazing and indispensable, hands down! 👍

Thanks Nicolino - I appreciate that.

It has been 21 years now ( https://www.martinsmagic.com/the-history-project/ ) and I have really upped my game in the last 5 years (adding dates, full descriptions, many more photos, and the always popular Speed Demos - https://www.martinsmagic.com/product-tag/speed-demo/ ). I plan on going for as many years as I can type. I like the idea of getting to 50 years, but that will put me at 88 and who knows what shape I or the web will be in by then!

andy
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
146 Posts

Profile of martonikus
Thanks Andy for your demos, archives, auctions and encyclopedic insights! You are making an indelible and invaluable contribution to magic history and practice.
martinsmagic
View Profile
New user
Spicewood, TX
60 Posts

Profile of martinsmagic
Quote:
On Jun 7, 2022, martonikus wrote:
Thanks Andy for your demos, archives, auctions and encyclopedic insights! You are making an indelible and invaluable contribution to magic history and practice.

Wow - Thanks Marty - that is very kind of you to say. I love doing what I do and it is nice to see it having an impact.
andy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Cubes of Cagliostro / Wand & Block Mystery by Magiro (6 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL