The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Alan Shaxon Appearing Cane (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2062 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I was watching this video of Alan Shaxon's appearance on the Paul Daniel's Show and noticed the cane at this point in the video: https://youtu.be/aOgCTTWmMgU?t=71
has the appearance of a solid knob. Does anyone know if there was a cane manufactured like this or was this a customized addition by Alan Shaxon ? Did he ever discuss it in any of his books ? I don't remember seeing it in Alan's book "The Sophisticated Sorcerer" but I may have glossed over it when I read it several years ago (I am away from home and do not have my books available.)

Click here to view attached image.
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2062 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Now that I'm back home I checked my books. I have Alan Shaxon's 'Practical Sorcery' and 'The Sophisticated Sorcerer' ... but he doesn't have anything in those books on the cane. Doing a search I find that Alan did cover his 'Cane and Cigarette Holder' routine in the book 'My Kind of Magic' ... which of course is one book I don't have !

Can anyone who has the book check it for me to see if he talks about the addition of the "3D" knob on the cane ? In the meantime I'll try to locate a reasonably priced used copy of the book, because I'm sure it's worth having for other reasons. But I'd just like to know if there's anything covered about altering the standard appearing cane in the book 'My Kind of Magic'. (because obviously the routine could be done with a standard appearing cane , but I'm specifically interested in how he added the knob as shown in the screen captures above)
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23011 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
David, yes it is fully explained in the book, MY KIND OF MAGIC.

It is a standard Appearing Cane, but you have to modify it.

It is not in his Video though. I use a lot of his routines in my act.

I actually go to see him in person at a magic convention. I like the human gas light the most. But I found out it is very dangerous to prepare.

Bill,
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2062 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
David, yes it is fully explained in the book, MY KIND OF MAGIC.

Thank you , Bill. (somehow I expected you might be the one who had the answer on this).

The cane I have is one I bought from Tannen's, standard black with white ends. I do like the look of the one Shaxon is using in the video I posted above. It has a warm bronze look, almost a brown "wood" appearance , although that could be from the lighting used and/or color shift on the old video tape that was uploaded.

But I was most interested in knowing how to modify it to give the knob a dimensional appearance as in the screen captures posted above. Ok, I will have to locate a copy of "My Kind of Magic"! Thanks for confirming that the modified appearing cane is covered in that book.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7495 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Alan was a great and practical performer. I loved working him at Abbott's. His prop management and routining was impeccable. The last time I saw him at Abbott's, I told him it was time for him to get another book written. He just smiled. I am glad the book was done as it is a beautiful record of a great performer.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5189 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
David, the cane looks to be a Harakan cane. Both the appearing and vanishing canes are bronze in color. They never need oiling like the standard metal canes. I bought mine in 1968 and have never had to do any maintenance on them and they work as good as new.
Where the magic begins
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2062 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Nov 12, 2021, Bill Hegbli wrote:
David, yes it is fully explained in the book, 'MY KIND OF MAGIC'.

I was finally able to locate a copy of Alan Shaxon's "MY KIND OF MAGIC" (which seems to be plentiful in the U.K., in the $10 - $15 range on eBay , but the shipping to the U.S.A. was around $38 ... unless I can't get it any other way I just can't bring myself to pay for shipping that is two - three times the cost of the item I'm purchasing) Located a copy at a decent price (although more than $15) from a used book seller here in the U.S.A.

It's a good book, I'm glad I have it (not only for the appearing cane modification).

A Harakan cane seems more difficult to locate and I'm sure will be expensive, so will see if I can get along with a less expensive version. I don't even know what's on the market these days in terms of appearing canes. Any recommendations of an "economy" model that still works well ?

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Alan Shaxon Appearing Cane (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL