The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How do Mommy and Daddy bunnies make baby bunnies? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Hi!

Does anyone know how to shape sponge animals?

I've just finished up an effect I'm super excited about it, but the ending is a bit lackluster.

If someone could point me in the direction of figuring out how to cut my own sponge shapes, it would be much appreciated!

I don't use sponges at all, so I don't know a thing about what kind I need to buy or what tool people use to "carve" them.

I need the sponge to be yellow... I don't know if that's a relevant factor but I'll include that info just in case.

Thanks, all!
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Whelp. This wasn't exactly rocket science.

I'll put the solution I found here just in case anyone was curious.

After hearing Adam Wilbur on his Craig Petty interview talk about needing someone to professionally saw his sponge "nuggets", I thought this might be a pain... but it's surprisingly easy.

I got a big car wash sponge from the Dollar Tree and a hobby razor shapes it almost as easy as clay.

If anyone has a need or desire for their own customized sponge shapes... I can tell you that it's many times easier than you may have thought and it's actually kind of fun.

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
Fedora
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona, usa
240 Posts

Profile of Fedora
What's a hobby razor?
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 19, 2021, Fedora wrote:
What's a hobby razor?

They're like exacto blades but smaller and they have a tang that slides into an aluminium rod housing.

My VPN doesn't let me access Amazon so I'm posting this link blind, but I'm 99% sure it will show what I'm talking about. https://www.amazon.com/hobby-razor/s?k=hobby+razor

hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7522 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
There was a guy years ago who started his routine with two blocks of sponge foam, cut the adults rabbit as he talked and then did the rest of the routine.
I cut my with scissors. It takes a little time to get the knack but then it is pretty easy. I have a set I made over 45 years ago. I just made a new set for my granddaughter for Christmas last year. No way I was letting her to do it with the die cut rabbits.
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Fedora
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona, usa
240 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Thanks for the link matty, looks kinda like a Scalpel
with interchangeable blades.
Fedora
View Profile
Loyal user
Arizona, usa
240 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Quick tip, dollar tree sells a craft knife with 6 different size razor blades,
i find it cuts sponge quite well.
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
170 Posts

Quote:
On Nov 22, 2021, Fedora wrote:
Quick tip, dollar tree sells a craft knife with 6 different size razor blades,
i find it cuts sponge quite well.

Thanks!

Yeah, awhile back I impulse bought a couple of those I've never opened.

I don't like the tiny blade shapes, but it's nice to know they'll do the job when I eventually get to them 😂

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How do Mommy and Daddy bunnies make baby bunnies? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL