The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Trick liqueur glass . Are they still available? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of Vogler
I’m searching for this old trick glass: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Smiffys-90120-B......04B9Z5FG
Seems it is difficult to find them anymore. Any help?
Thanks
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
There is one listed on Quicker Than The Eye (as of Nov. 21, 2021) -

https://www.quickerthantheeye.com/p/nove......ss-17608

David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Here is another one listed on eBay , but the auction is over in 7 hours from now , so buy it fast if you want it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304221743059
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
These are made in Taiwan, and can be found in novelty, magic and joke stores. I have one from years ago, I am holding in my hand as I am typing.

The glass design is called a brandy sniffer. For some reason they only appear on the market every then or twenty years apart.

The price sticker on mine is marked $3.95 But the price would be much higher today.

I can't believe the fake dangerous chemical in the glass is sealed in, and has not evaporated like the others from previous years. The glass seems a little thicker then the previous older ones from years previous.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of Vogler
Thanks guys. It is weird that a popular gag like this is so rare to find.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2599 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
The liquid contained in them, by the way it clings to the walls reminds me of what's in snow globes, only with coloring added. That liquid is glycerin, also used in toothpastes and medicines, so it shouldn't be dangerous.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
23046 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Quote:
On Nov 21, 2021, Wravyn wrote:
The liquid contained in them, by the way it clings to the walls reminds me of what's in snow globes, only with coloring added. That liquid is glycerin, also used in toothpastes and medicines, so it shouldn't be dangerous.

Did you have the liquid analyzed ?

Information paper that came with mine warns that it is.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Bill is right, the best ones came from Taiwan. The highest quality early ones were actually marked "Republic of China", an early designation for Taiwan. These are not permanently sealed but have pieces of cork in the stems. The liquid could be changed to whatever one liked by removing the cork or using a hyperdermic needle to remove/add liquid through it. The later ones were permenantly sealed with some remaining good over the years and others failing. It is hit or miss.

I haven't seen good quality ones in stores in a decade. It may be worthwhile now to find old ones on auction sites and rehabilitate them.
Vogler
View Profile
Special user
Greece
637 Posts

Profile of Vogler
I have one for 28 years and it is in perfect condition! I want to buy more but it seems there is no manufactured anymore...
FrankFindley
View Profile
Special user
736 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Here is a design I have never seen before. Just popped into my ebay recommendations. Apparently can appear as beer or liqueur depending on if it is shaken. Not sure how deceptive it would be close-up when in liqueur mode as wall doesn't extend all the way down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/402957198057

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Trick liqueur glass . Are they still available? (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL