The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thanks, Mb217.....(you'll know why... 😉) (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2237 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8n9HfP7/

Thought I'd share my progress with what you taught me, Marion.....

This is part of a larger in-THEIR hands "SpellboundCSB Transpo" I've decided, clip but this highlights the sleight you have me encouragement to work n with my dollaz instead of halves....

Thanks!
Bryn
*POST-PANDEMIC SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Good to see you out there doing this. 😊 It truly is a move worth learning and learning well.

You’re making good progress, just keep after it and it will all get better & better. 😉 And that you are a top-flite mentalist trying some coin magic, well, to me that is to have succeeded, as it’s not every day that a guy reading minds reaches for a few coins. Happy that some of my work motivated you to do more as to magic. ☺️

Thanks for the peek here and KMF! 👊🏽
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
mindhunter
View Profile
Inner circle
Upstate NY
2237 Posts

Profile of mindhunter
Very kind words, Marion....

(and an even kinder email..thank you again.)

Bryn
*POST-PANDEMIC SPECIAL!!!*
"The Safwan Papers" & "The LOGAR Scrolls Mentalism ebooks - Now just $20 each!

Just PayPal to:
bryn@darkmountainarts.com
(No PayPal account? Just shoot me your email and I'll send you an invoice that can be paid with any card.)

REVIEWS:
" The Safwan Papers":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=253272&forum=15

"THE LOGAR SCROLLS":
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=464100&forum=303&70

Browse my Artwork!
https://www.darkmountainarts.com
Facebook & Instagram: #DarkMountainArts
Dougini
View Profile
Inner circle
The Beautiful State Of Maine
7104 Posts

Profile of Dougini
Great job! I cannot do The Crimp Switch with dollar coins. Hands are just too small...

Doug
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 7, 2021, mindhunter wrote:
Very kind words, Marion....

(and an even kinder email..thank you again.)

Bryn

A NEW YEAR is ahead of us…Keep up the great work, as good practice makes perfect. 😉
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Hey, Mb217 Finally caught up with you. I posted a few things for you in the Words We Use section. Say, where do you live...part of the country etc? By-the-way, did you see my articles in MagicSeen or Vanish magazine? A number of them were on coins. Us coins guys need to stick together. I posted on coins on the Café a lot after David Roth died, telling his anecdotes, but lately I've been memorizing the Mike Rubinstein book, a full time job. Stay in touch!
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
How are you, gw…😊

Thanks for the good thoughts in the Words We Use section, you make some good points and give worthwhile direction there. 👍🏽

I don’t think I’ve read your articles, what did they cover specifically?

Oh, and I am from the NYC area, and a young disciple of Tannens back in the early 70s. As you have mentioned in the David Roth string, lots of real good magic from Roth and many others in NYC back in the day. 😊 Now, I’m no great & powerful Oz, but happy that I learned a thing or two to be better able to share here with others along my journey, of which Roth was indeed an important part of as he was for many. Always glad to have met and known him along my way. 🙏🏽

In the magic of life, time passes on leaving us with more to consider as to ourselves and others…With that, Happy New Year to all. 🙏🏽

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
So, you sound like you know the deal. My articles on coins were on some lesser known Slydini touches, and the other was on a move Roth and I both liked but he never told me the name. I just heard of the name...the move already existed I guess, called the Clout Toss. Heard about it in the Big Rubinstein book. You basically hold back the known one in FP and let the secret one from classic palm fall into the left hand. Plus a few card tricks. I like packet tricks with a very few cards involved, and sort of think of those tricks as being more like working with coin logic. Do you do only coins? I do the cups, rings a rope routine...that's about it. Oh, silks and small and larger balls. Stay in touch. Thanks for checking me out.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Oh, forgot to mention, I've been friends with Jeff McBride a long time and stay in touch, so, Eugene Burger got the people at Jeff's school all thinking about symbolism and archetypes and all sorts of deep thought put into their presentations and the storytelling they use along with their "tricks".
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Well, gw… I’ve dabbled in all sorts of magic throughout my journey, and mostly enjoy closeup magic, in particular, coin magic. I think I got roped into it as a kid watching Tony Spina at Tannen’s demonstrate tricks, always right over that lighted showcase with all the tricky coins in it. I couldn’t afford much of it, but did gravitate to it. Watching a ton of closeup guys over the years showed me not to sorta be a one-trick pony, in the way of only doing one kind of magic. Some people do it, but people get glazed-over from a lack of variety, that Ive found as to magic. Even David Roth, unbeknownst to most, was a pretty good card guy, even though he is so well known for his amazing coin magic. He also could work the heck out of a variety of closeup tricks, especially the old Cups & Balls.

Focusing on coins for so long, I just started to come up with things, moves, enhancements, routines, etc. I also saw a few things that no one saw as anything special until I thought to make better note of it and illustrate a deeper beauty and overall usage. I’ve been around these parts for a pretty good while, and find that I enjoy the big, small, and all of us here. You can’t be friends with everybody (they just won’t let you), but I try. Smile I’ve made a dent with my work in sharing it with others. Me, myself, I’m a less-is-more kinda guy these days , just putting forth that you don’t have to do it all to be effective.

And I like card tricks too, been doing them for a long while. Started out with packet tricks, like B’wave, Capitulating Queens, NFW and Double Back, etc., these were some of my favorites. But of late, like all through the quarantine, I have endeavored to be a bit better at just using a regular deck of cards. And lo & behold, I actually got better at it. I love all the moves and routines I learned, along with even some of the really tricky stuff. I never knew I could do some of this stuff. I’m nothing special with it, but I can do a little something and love mixing it in with the coin stuff. It allows people a bit of variety and makes me look like a more well-rounded closeup guy. Of which, there is also a few pet closeup tricks I like to do as well, and that really sweetens the pot. Smile I’m more complete now, and actually limit my coin magic to just a few things, like my MB Transpo PLUS, and my Double Trouble set most times out and that’s all it takes…Actually got a chance to do it today for a visiting nurse, right up close. I said “Man, this is all you have to do to do it really well…This is all I ever wanted to be able to do.” Needless to say, she was blown away! Smile

https://youtu.be/ibLDOJAQ3rI

I’ve gotten the chance to not only share my tricks but also my thinking, as I include manuscripts in most of my download works. With that, I have had a lot of time to write down my thoughts as to magical thinking. I’ve written a book full of magic. But I really like helping others, showcasing tricks and magic creators from time to time. I speak of the big boys, but really like speaking more of all the rest of us, because we’re all a part of it too, just the way The Great Magician in the sky meant for it to be. Smile

Good Will Towards Men. 🙏🏽

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Sounds like we were at Tannen's about the same time. I worked there, but in the back writing instructions and illustrating instructions and working on their catalogs and Top Hat Topics. One time when nobody was there, they were at lunch I guess, Roth came in to buy the close-up mat - red- that he was going to use at his first trip to the Castle. I realize now why he wanted the red one, because the Portable Hole would show up the best. But that gives you a time frame, early 70's I guess.
All the stuff of mine that is original I've written up but only as Ebooks which are at Lybrary.com. So maybe we can have a session if the *** pandemic ever ends. Thanks for telling me that stuff. p.s. Geoff Latta was a good friend too, at that time. So I was learning from him and David and a guy named Michael Pizzolla (Stars of Magic for Syncronicity III was it?) Plus when I went to Philly, I was learning from Jack Chanin...a completely different style from the NY scene. Also, Presto would fool me. On Saturdays, Sol Stone was the guy to listen to.

Actually I started with standup manipulation and that is why the friendship with Jeff McBride. Most guys are more into close-up. I got into it too. I only met Slydini about 3 times. Herb Zarrow was a nice guy. Actually Michael Pizzolla taught me the Zarrow Shuffle. I realized early on that most venues you aren't set up for lapping. Michael Pizzolla is also the guy who showed me how to go to a pocket to get a lighter to wave under your hand to ditch something instead of lapping something. At one point every trick in every magazine ended with "and lap the extra whatever it was". I specifically remember when I switched to using the pockets instead of thinking about lapping. Anyway - Happy New Year. I probably saw you back then. Yeah, Tannen's, the meeting place for years. p.s. just saw a video of an interview Meir did with Tony Spina. Meir was there too.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah, but if you were working there, then I’m probably a bit younger than you. I was a kid back then, sneaking down to Tannen’s on Saturday mornings with a buddy from my block. He and I were the only kids in the neighborhood that were into magic. In fact, that kid grew up to do something quite interesting, an offshoot from his magic days. So much, that the mention of Meir Yedid reminded me of a big interview he was in where Meir pointed the reporter to him as one of the very best in the business. Magic has many tributaries.

I saw a lot of magicians at Tannen’s too, and remember Latta and others frequenting the place. And Presto, man I used to see him at the famed Apollo Theater, and would always recognize that I used to see him at Tannen’s. Smile He was a great stage magician, as well as closeup. I remember him always doing coin tricks for us in the shop. He was regularly just about the only other person that looked like me that I saw there periodically back then. He was fun to watch and could so smoothly command a crowd.

I saw a lot of guys, from the streets to the suites, magicians that made it big like Chris Capehart. First saw him in the subway holding court with just a TT. The guy was amazing! Smile Saw him everywhere around NYC, all the way up to attending grad school downtown in The Village at NYU, that guy was everywhere and always wowing the crowds. I was not surprised at his great success, even fooling Penn & Teller, as he was really good and so entertaining. Smile

As I became better with just a regular deck of cards, a favorite packet trick became Twisting The Aces. It’s a clever classic that I enjoyed playing with for many years as it took you through some neat card moves that helped keep the fingers nimble. Smile I can remember when that little card trick was all I did as to cards. I used to carry a wallet with 3-4 packet tricks and would practice them all the time when commuting. But so far, nothing beats just using a regular deck of cards, it is just so freeing.

As to coins, well, it’s nice to ever-so-often see the young guys come up with something sorta new, new handlings, moves, etc. The old guys just seem to repackage the old stuff as most are pretty set in their ways as to it. But I’m always looking for something really new and original. I know it’s coming. Smile

But again, as the OP here reached out to me to say, I really enjoy helping others and making them aware that they can do this stuff, too. Smile

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Yeah, Presto was great and very friendly and helpful. I don't know if you heard the story, he almost got on Ed Sullivan, but he wore white sox with his tux and he wore a fez at that time too, but someone, Mark Leddy or someone, complained about the white sox. Too much! Just ask the guy to wear black sox for the real show, jeez.

Twisting the Aces is an amazing trick to this day, the construction is so tight. I never met Vernon, but David Roth did. Many stories from him. Chris Capeheart used to work the corner diagonally across Times Square from Tannen's. Miser's Dream, 6" Silk, 3 Ring Routine, that's what I remember.

I'm constantly trying to keep up with the new stuff. It is hard. There is an avalanche of stuff. Some dealer's items are too rich for my blood...glad I'm a sleights guy, but I try to know what's out there.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Y’know, I’ve seen a lot of the best out there, but you’d be surprise as to the people I would cite as to being really good or as good as you gotta get as to magic. Sometimes they are not big names, sometimes they are names that were once small and now big, some are those that most wouldn’t recognize much at all, but I’ve seen some wonderful magicians out there, as good as anyone I’ve seen in some cases. I know he’s a cantankerous old sort, but Vinny Marini is a really good closeup magician, coins, cards, rings, strings, rubber bands, whatever, he can do it all and is a most entertaining and giving performer. Eric Jones is another guy I recognized his brilliance from the start and trumpeted him here on the Café, and the rest is history. Mano Tejeda is one of the most gifted sleight of hand guys I’ve ever seen, his hands are just amazing and so is his heart. John Jurney as a coin gaffer came along and made his own unique coin creations and an indelible mark in that genre, and it was my absolute pleasure to shout that to the mountain tops on the Café. And he did not disappoint over & over again. Rannie Raymundo is just a talented performer, his coin magic and storytelling is just wonderful to watch, amidst all the other remarkable things he can do. Man, there was a lot of wonderful magic here to learn from and they all taught it willingly with a smile. A great bunch of guys. Some will be and some won’t, but just thought I would mention them again here, as they should never be forgotten. Remember, it’s about the big, small & all of us. 😉

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Many are new names to me, but I agree with you about Mano, and Eric Jones I met once but hear about all the time. I'll have to look into the other names. Were these guys you first met at Tannen's? Did you ever drift over to Fantasma? Let me ask if you knew Polaris? Great guy we lost too early. Another place we hung out was Rubin's Deli, for a while, and then Maui Tacos, which is where I met Mike Rubinstein who was with Roth one day. Eugene Burger was there one day. Then these Saturday hangouts moved to Café Rustica.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I didn’t meet any of these guys at Tannen’s, but along my journey, here and there. Actually, it was Eric Jones that first introduced me to Mano, and (little did I know back then) so many other up & coming magicians, including Mickey Silver, the late Steve Dusheck, and so many more. Smile

And I have also been to Fantasma many times, loved watching Magick Balay jazz there. Caught Roth there too often enough but usually showing off little closeup tricks, which he was also very good at. It was a nice spot and they gave quite a few good lectures there, I remember. I actually ran into one of the later places where Tannen’s landed, the last one I visited was about 24th street & 5th Ave or Bway maybe? Anyway, it was near the old Fat Iron Bldg on 23rd st., I remember. I worked down that area and never knew Tannen’s was so close. It wasn’t the same as the old days, but it was nice to visit a brick & mortar shop again. Smile

Don’t remember Polaris, but probably ran into him along my way. There were so many guys. I wasn’t privy to the hangouts, but did drop by a couple of them from time to time to see the old guys doing their stuff. Always nice to watch and meet sometimes. When I would later on meet up with guys that liked my magic, we would meet in places like that around the City. I remember once meeting up with a well-to-do Café member at Carnegie Deli off Broadway for a bite and some magic. Did stuff like that several places around the Times Square area with the big and small. Always fun and friends made forever. Smile

gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
So you saw Micky Silver. I never saw him but hear the name a lot. A friend tipped one of his moves to me. Oh, yeah, David Roth never did coins at the counter of Fantasma, just cards and other things.

So how about the clubs. The IBM and the SAM, never joined, never went to any of their meetings. Felt the politics was too weird. So, how about Eric DeCamps? He showed me a fooler with Silver (large) Dollar size coin box and Todd Lassen coins.

One guy I never met but would like to, is Curtis Kamm (sp?). Anyway, Happy New Year. I'm thinking of getting a copy of Ellis Stanyon's book for some reason, mainly because I believe there are a lot of tricks and moves there that people are re-inventing. Check out the list of my eBooks at Lybrary.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I’m glad we’ve been having this conversation, and amidst all the coin stuff, to have spoke a bit about cards…In that, I remembered my playing with Twisting The Aces. I haven’t done it in quite a while, and had forgotten that I showcased it as just about the only packet trick I came to do, and the only one from a regular deck. I remember saying something like, “Sometimes a deck full of cards is just too much to follow, hows about we just use these 4 aces.” 😉 I came to really respect the beauty of this trick, its cleverness and overall deception. Yeah, man what a gem!… Thanks for helping me to remember all that. Smile

Found a lot of politics in the clubs too, so quickly steered away from them. I know they can be great places for magic for a lot of people, but I don’t know, not for me.

Eric De Camps is the real deal, quite a clever magician. Smile And yeah, Mickey Silver is just something else with coins, an amazing illusionist that really stole the spotlight for a while with his unique use of ROV. Not to mention, he’s a great guy, and so much fun to watch. Honored to call him an old friend now. Smile

Never met Curtis Kamm either but he is quite an accomplished, well respected magi and tremendous coin man. His many contributions speak for themselves.

And yeah, Happy New Year…Here we go again, thank God. 🙏🏽

Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2550 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
I appreciate the history you gents are sharing, allowing those of us which have not had your experiences to feel some of the joy you have shared with persons that are inspirations and idol's (for lack of better term) for many of us.
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Thanks. Great to hear. Hey, a few guys I might not have mentioned. Geoff Latta was there at the time, and Jamie Swiss, who by the way spoke at Roth's memorial, and I never met but Geoff knew him. Also in that group, Peter Samelson, who I didn't know at the time but am in touch with now. So yeah I guess I'm older than Mb217, but never got into the "muscle pass" thing which got very big at one time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thanks, Mb217.....(you'll know why... 😉) (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL