The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thanks, Mb217.....(you'll know why... 😉) (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah, the trail is important to recount for others and even yourself. For me, it is an important part of the journey and may help others along their way. Mine is but an off road compared to some fine others, but I’m hopeful it does show a way forward toward the same light. 😊

And as to that, gw, what an impressive catalog you’ve built up on Lybrary.com, not to mention quite a journey yourself as you have made mention of here in varying tidbits you’ve dropped for us. Some amazing experiences that make me think of how similar our trails have been in some ways. For instance, I attended Art & Design HS in NYC and all that came back to bear later on in life as I illustrated a bit of my writings while taking part in journalism, yet another one of my journeys along the way. And an interesting tidbit is when I traveled with Muhammad Ali and we sat together for lunch and shard some magic. He loved magic. 😁

Anyway, your road is a real interesting one and I’m real glad your path came here to share it with us. 😊 Like my friend Wravyn here, I too appreciate the views & vista of others as it increases my perspective and appreciation as well. Thank you for inviting me to take a look, as Lybrary.com is another important magic resource. I encourage others here to check out your work there, it is extensive and covers all sorts of magic and happenings. So happy you wrote all of that down, and even illustrated it too. 🎨

https://www.lybrary.com/gregg-webb-m-215953.html

And man, I used to sleep with my Tannen’s Magic catalog, I loved thumbing through every page of that big book. It was like being in a magic candy store every night before bed. 😁
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I did about a third of the writing in it and about a quarter of the illustrations, although many were old. I particularly liked Nelson Hahne's work. When I first started there, a typical day had Frank Garcia, or Herb Zarrow, or Slydini, or Derek Dingle, or Kreskin dropping in. Blackstone Jr. And mainly Tony Spina and Irv Tannen. Lou had just retired. Then there were the Top Hat Topics where each new trick was dubbed by Tony the be the best trick in many a moon. I used to ask him "How can they all be the best thing in many a moon?" Eventually I took over writing the Top Hat Topics. At the end of each year, the better things from the Top Hat Topics were added to the next catalog. Then everything went digital. I don't think they have a hard copy catalog anymore.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I remember Frank Garcia being there and Derek Dingle, both amazing magicians that could really handle some coin magic. And Irv and Lou were there quite a bit, even remember buying Lou’s Gamble Amble packet card trick after Tony Spina demo’d it as “The best thing in many a moon.” 😁 It must’ve been fun to work there with all those guys around. I remember Eric Jones once telling me how he worked at an old Magic Shop in Richmond, Va. Funny thing, I have family right near there and came to often drop by when I was in town. The business had slowed down tremendously, but the shop still had tons of the old magic that I guess they could no longer sell. The owner, The Mysterious Mr. Woo was an engaging old guy, and he would reminisce about when Eric used to work there. He told me it always brought a smile to his face to catch him somewhere on TV. He said he was really good, and he just knew he would someday make it big. I still get a kick out of walking into those old shops, when you can find them now. Still, there was nothing like the old Tannen’s. 😊

Hey, meant to ask, did you happen to know Bill Tarr, from Now You See It, Now You Don’t? That was a wonderful magic book, that was also beautifully Illustrated by Barry Ross. Did you know either of them, did they frequent Tannen’s back then. I think Tarr was somewhat a bit of a NYC socialite.
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Whenever I was home from college or Vet school I would stop in to the original Tannens on 45th and Bway before going to the Magician's hangout (the Governor or Reubens). Tony Spina was always nice to me, but he did do some questionable things that bothered me (no need to rehash). Frank Garcia was always super nice, but I was told never to show him anything because he would put it into his books! Never got to know Irv, he was always a bit aloof. Meir and Gallo worked there for a time, and got to know them both. Bought Cubio, and the Invisible deck, and that cool deck that is now being copied where you put a shot glass on the top and make a quarter penetrate through the glass onto the deck. My best ever purchases, though, came from Al Flosso's shop on 34th street (got the Bobo book there), and that novelty shop on 8th and 48th street on the same block as all the massage parlors and peep shows for a pull made of a piece of elastic and a tiny clip, that made for a great coin vanish!
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Irv was very nice. Just kind of quiet. I didn't know Gallo ever worked there. I didn't know Al, but I did know Jackie. The novelty shop might have been Rus DelMar's place...or I remember a place, maybe Magick Balay worked at a while...not too long. I also remember hearing about Mike Tannen, the 3rd brother, had at the street level...but that might have been before my time. The original Tannen's was in the Wurlitzer building. Are you thinking of 1540 B'Way? Unless you're older than I thought.

And, Mb217, unless you were really young, I don't think you saw Lou around. Maybe. No, I never met Bill Tarr or the illustrator. The nicest man I ever met was Herb Zarrow. And one more guy I've been forgetting was Ken Krenzel...and another I've been forgetting. Mike Bornstein. He did a Chinese act. Vernon's wife made a mask for him out of starched and painted silk. Kolma was his stage name.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4341 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Yes, it was at 1540 Broadway. And Rus Delmar, that sounds right. It was the only nice store on a sleezy street. Finally Giuliani (pre cray cray Rudy) cleaned up the area. The pull I bought at Rus's store cost 5 bucks and made this 15 yr old look like someone who could do real magic! Right up the sleeve of my denim jacket! Ken Krenzel was a great guy. Very secretive though. He would pull me to the side and show me something in confidence. But it was usually a little thing, not worth making such a big deal about. I remember Mike Bornstein being very nice to all the young magicians. He did a lot of tricks with bills. Passed away before his time. Marion, don't think our paths ever crossed although we must have been in Tannens together at some point. Was Polaris Carl Mellish? He was a great street performer, and his 3 o'clock nip was a nifty coin vanish you should all look up in Apocalypse. He had some work on the move. One of my spellbound moves in my book is based on his nip. That doesn’t sound right...
Anyway, I heard that Carl passed away very young. Never heard what happened, but very sad.
Funny thing happened at Tannens once. I was a lone customer in the store on rainy day, except for a chubby young man (I was also a bit chubby). I inadvertently and casually picked up his umbrella that was sitting on the counter not thinking it wasn't mine. Suddenly this other guy starts yelling at me that I stole his umbrella. I realized it wasn't mine, and handed it back. He shouted something about making it dissappear, and stormed out. That kid was Robert Baxt. Oh well, whaddyagonnado...
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
gregg webb
View Profile
Special user
917 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Carl "Polaris" Mellish's inhaler device for severe asthma malfunctioned. Very sad. Mike Bornstein's passing was equally shocking, he slipped under a truck in the snow. He was a great guy...we used to go to Jackie Flosso's and trade tricks while Jackie slept. Funny but true about Ken Krenzel.

I was just remembering another name. A guy named Roland Rochelle made a name for himself working at Birdland, a dance club, with just one trick. He'd do the Mercury Fold with a signed card and then produce it from a coin purse so quickly that it was a miracle for people. And Jeff Sheridan, we were friendly, and he introduced me to Felippe Petit who did the tightrope walk between the Twin Towers back when they were still there. His show in the park but on slackwire, at the end, on a rope between 2 trees, but with unicycle, juggling, and a lot of mime byplay with the audience was a true lesson in crowd control. By the end nobody left without dropping money in his hat, they'd wait their turn. He made enough in 1 Sunday to pay rent.

Regarding Jeff Sheridan, I guess he's in Germany now, but Meir just told us his health is not good at all now. That's a shame, too.

Rus Delmar is where Jeff McBride got his white plastic masks which Jeff had me paint, for his FISM act. I've forgotten how much water has gone under the bridge.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9068 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Quote:
On Dec 1, 2021, mindhunter wrote:
Https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM8n9HfP7/

Thought I'd share my progress with what you taught me, Marion.....

This is part of a larger in-THEIR hands "SpellboundCSB Transpo" I've decided, clip but this highlights the sleight you have me encouragement to work n with my dollaz instead of halves....

Thanks!
Bryn

Just thought I’d steer this string back to the OP, as we took it on a whole other ride as we went down the road a’piece. 😁

And again, always happy when someone gets something out of my work and assistance…Sorta like a program in my old neighborhood growing up, “Each One, Teach One.” 😉

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Thanks, Mb217.....(you'll know why... 😉) (8 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL