The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Name of surfer (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Can someone please tell me what the name of the little resin figurine on a surfboard that rides on the edge of a spread deck of cards is? Does that make sense? Its driving me crazy. 😁🤦‍♂️. Thank you.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Not a whole lot to go on there. I did find some cards which show a little Lego surfer in the advertising. You can see it at the following link:

https://www.kardify.com/2019/04/surfboar......fle.html

Here's one surfer dude from Lego. They have others.

https://www.fishpond.com/Toys/Lego-Minif......paign=US
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
I appreciate the effort.🙂👌. This is an actual figurine that sets on top of the edge of the cards after you ribbon spread and begin to flip the cards over like a wave. I hope that makes sense. Im not sure how else to explain it. I cant think of the name of the turnover but some guys use a card to pick up the edge of the spread and run it across the top edges and the cards turn over. 👍🙂
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Was this a common item at some point? Where did you see it? Perhaps it was just a random prop that one magician used.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
I'm assuming it was a random item. You could make your own by putting some rubber on the bottom of the surfboard for friction.
salmononius2
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of salmononius2
I've seen flourishes where a card 'surfs' over the spread. I can see someone, with the right figurine and some deft sleight of hand, do a trick where a figurine surfs over the cards in a similar manner. With enough practice (and a force/marked deck), one should be able to stop it at a specific card. No gimmick involved, just a lot of practice.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
It rides on the edge like this. ThomasJ. it was advertised quite a bit when it came out. Somebody has to know this. I cant seem to find it on google. Now it has become a mission. 😁

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJALqAw_wTE
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Ha! Just found it! But ***! $30bucks? Really?

https://jasonbaney.com/wave-rider/
ThomasJ
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
1000 Posts

Profile of ThomasJ
Glad you found it, haha! Novel idea, but the execution isn't great as it seems pretty obvious where the card came from. I would do a ribbon spread hideout and have the surfer get some hang time and stop somewhere along the wave to find the card. Maybe crank some Dick Dale in the background and make it a silent piece.

As far as the price - I probably wouldn't buy it myself, but it says he paints them by hand which takes some time. I'd see if I could get custom colors if I were thinking about making the purchase. Or perhaps you could get it "nude" for a bit of a discount and then paint it yourself. If it's a well made gimmick and you like the effect, it's not a terrible price.

Thanks for sharing!
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
ThomasJ has a much better idea on the reveal. As is it was pretty transparent. When you buy a trick, you are paying for the secret as well as the prop or props. Always keep that in mind. Is a hand-painted surfer dude worth $30.00? Not to me. But it comes with the routine and the rights to perform it, so you might feel differently.
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Hey Tortuga, I get it. The reveal sucks. Period. This is something I wouldwhip out realquick and let it ride thenpull it off and put away. Maybe a 7 seconds of enterrainment. I understand hand painted but $30 is a lot of moneyfor the effect imho. Cost isn't up to me. Thts the creators decision and I fully understnd he needs to make money too.🙂👌👈🏼 I appreciate evrybodys input. Thank you andMerryChistmas! db
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Georgetown, South Carolina
3094 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
Google : mini surfer figurine
Saw lots of options that may or may not work.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Dollarbill
View Profile
Inner circle
Colorado
1005 Posts

Profile of Dollarbill
Please read 5
posts up from here. 🙂
MattyMediocrity
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of MattyMediocrity
Quote:
On Dec 9, 2021, Dollarbill wrote:
Ha! Just found it! But ***! $30bucks? Really?

https://jasonbaney.com/wave-rider/

If that was something Murphy's or Penguin was producing and pumping out thousands of it would probably be a 5-10 dollar item, but since this is something the creator probably makes on an extremely small scale and likely dedicated many hours getting right, I kind of understand the price.

I made something that I don't want to be charging 75 bucks for, but I'll probably never sell enough to make back material cost... let alone enough to justify the hundreds or thousands of hours I put into making it.

I say if you like it, you should pick it up. There's probably a long road and story behind that little guy... not just something he 3D printed in 5 minutes and had for sale an hour later.

Edit: HA! I just watched the trailer, that's great! Jason even looks a little like Dick Dale, which is what legally gives him rights to use that song if I'm remembering my Matlock law studies correctly.
Creator of Molly Mayhem's 25 Cent Tacos <ultra visual coin bend> Smile

I try to treat others as if this were a small community where we're likely to be face to face one day Smile
JasonBaney
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of JasonBaney
Hey guys, yeah it’s called Wave Rider. They are $30 bucks because they really are a pain in the butt to make, 7 different colors of paint, then a sealer, and the gimmick is also hand made, shaped, balanced and glued. Over an hour of work for each one. It’s original and people remember it. I made the performance super simple, where you just control the card to the top to make it super easy for all level of magi to do. You can definitely make it more deceiving by your method of control, handling or even using a dupe.

And yes I played with stopping the lil guy on the card in the spread, it can be done but takes a lot of practice and a lil bit of luck. 😉 it’s not something I think the average magician could learn to do consistently.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
It is similar in a way, to the little car of Tamariz's. It ended up on the selected card. The turning over (wave) is called a "ribbon spread turnover". One guy's idea, that it be a DRAWING of a surfer, I think was a good idea. Have it face up. If you put it on the ribbon spread, and do the turnover very powerfully, the guy would flip up in the air - wipout! The selection could be found near that area where he wiped out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Name of surfer (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL