The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dani DaOrtiz, Freedom of Expression (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
no2ss
View Profile
Special user
California
990 Posts

Profile of no2ss
It appears that a translation of Dani DaOrtiz's book "Freedom of Expression" is about to come out. All the usual sites have pre-order pages, such as:

https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-......ression/

Anyone know any more about it beyond what's in the description here? I love Dani's work, but am curious, especially for Spanish speaking magicians who have the original, about reviews of the book. Is it just about psychological forces? Or is there more to it?

Original text:

One of Dani DaOrtiz's most beloved texts is available for the first time ever in English.

Freedom of Expression is an incredible look inside Dani's thinking and philosophy that has helped countless magicians improve their use of psychological forcing and other psychological weapons. Across these nearly 180 pages, Dani strips these concepts to their bare bones in an effort to place them within everyone's reach.

This is the same book that disrupted the magic world in 2009 when it was first published in Spanish. It was the book that introduced us to Dani's famous belief that "everything happens from the viewpoint of the audience."

You'll be transported to Dani's world and learn how to enter the spectator's mind and manipulate as you see fit. Along the way, you'll uncover an arsenal of techniques that will enable you to force your spectator to make decisions they truly feel are completely free.

Freedom of Expression Contents:

Strategies, subtleties, psychological techniques...
Force numbers, cards (without using a deck), situations, decisions...
Study on classical (psychological) forcing
The psychology of the seventh card
Working with small groups
Verbal and numerical forces
Magician's Choice
Deception by visual perception
Dealing with mistakes and outs
Fishing and subtleties
Tricks right out of Dani's repertoire
Think of a number...
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
730 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
It was Dani’s first book (or second) and basically everything is in there: all the work Dani did in this past 10 years was the development of the content of that book.
Have a nice day
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1376 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
English edition translated by Fernando Rosal, edited by John Lovick.

I'm not familiar with Rosal's translation work, but Lovick's involvement gives me confidence that this will read far more smoothly than some of Dani's earlier translated works.
dyoung
View Profile
Special user
872 Posts

Profile of dyoung
Im looking forward to getting this one. I tried reading the Spanish one, my spanish is still pretty basic and doesn't entail these kinds of words and concepts. So Im glad its finally on its way!
Edmund Dantes
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of Edmund Dantes
Can anyone provide a review for the content in the original Spanish edition? Assuming this is a translation of the original, it would be great to get some more details on the content etc. Hope everyone is well!
FaroFaroFaro
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of FaroFaroFaro
Will this have extra content compared to the original Spanish edition?
leipzisch
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Did anyone purchase and attend Dani's seminar? How was?
leipzisch
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
So, has anyone bought the book...?
Tim Cavendish
View Profile
Inner circle
1376 Posts

Profile of Tim Cavendish
Quote:
On Jan 17, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
So, has anyone bought the book...?

They haven't shipped yet in the US.

My November preorder status says: In transit to California, USA warehouse
leipzisch
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Gotcha thanks Tim.
I'm intrigued to hear people's views on the book...
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
Just saw on FB that they're literally coming off the printers now. Shipping starts in a few days apparently.

I imagine that means if you ordered direct from Dani you'll have it soon, otherwise it has to get to your supplier to then ship to you.

I'm in Australia, so it'll be at least a few weeks.
leipzisch
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Thanks for that update
pierre888
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of pierre888
Hello. any idea how to contact dani directly? thank you.
teenagelabotomy42
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of teenagelabotomy42
Hi fb group is pretty active
PHER
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of PHER
Hi everyone! I'm Fernando Rosal, the translator for the book. I have previously worked with Dani translating "Working from home" as well as with Woody on all of his english books. I am very excited for the release of "Freedom of Expression" for several reasons. Several years ago, when I was just starting in magic, I had the privilege of attending 2 lectures that had a great impact on me. One was Miguel Angel Gea's, the other one was Dani's. I was also lucky enough to be introduced to both of them and, throughout the years, I've been even luckier to meet them regularly and have them count on me for several tasks. I clearly remember the lecture in which Freedom of expression was intorduced to the spanish magical world. We were all astonished, awed, and sincerely, many thought it was impossible to capture the spirit of Dani's magic in a book, much less have someone learn it. If you know Dani, you know his personality is so engraved in his magic, sometimes it's hard to separate them (as hard as it is to separate him from a deck of cards!). But as years passed, I have seen several magicians take the concepts inside the book and adapt them to their own self with great success. For example, my friend Jordi Caps who is a full time magician, performing for people such as Leo Messi, always says he is able to pay for his bills thanks to Dani's work. Be warned, though, this is not an easy book. Nothing great comes easy. But if you know Dani's work, you can learn a lot from Freedom of Expression. There are countless details that can greatly help you magic in this book. Actually, while translating it, even after all of the years passed since I first read it , I found new subtleties and nuances I have missed in previous readings. I think this is a great chance for all of the Daortiz fans around the world. You already know much of his work and his ideas, and the possibility of tapping on the seminal worked that stated it all will give you many "aha!" moments when reading it.
Boviously, this is not an unbiased review. I know Dani personally, I am involved in the release of the book (although I have already been paid, so I will not get any additional benefits from its sales). But if I have taken the time to write here is because I really feel Freedom of Expression is a very special book, and one that deserves a space in your shelf.
What will you find in it?
Detailed handling instructions for several psychological and "from a spread" card forces. Psychologial nuances and strategies to force numbers, positions, etc. Some very clever routines that you can use to test your newly acquired knowledge.
Basically all of the backbone of Dani's magic.
I can only hope my translation is good enough and that you will all enjoy and learn from this book.
Morganjj
View Profile
Regular user
139 Posts

Profile of Morganjj
Very excited for this book. Great thanks to you for bringing it to us in English!
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Waters.
I ordered this upon first glance. While I have been waiting for some time, I still am greatly looking forward to this book. One of the most interesting aspects of magic is the “real magic” insights into our behaviors, perception and tendencies as humans. Books like this, Roberto Giobbi’s “Secrets” and Gary Kurtz’s “Leading With Your Head” are truly glimpses into knowledge that only a study of “magic” can impart. These rare are jewels. I believe this book will offer similar insights and knowledge. That is my hope anyway.
leipzisch
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of leipzisch
Has anyone received this yet? First impressions?
Waters.
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Waters.
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, leipzisch wrote:
Has anyone received this yet? First impressions?

I was told that 1/28 was a rough ship date. No word yet though.
daortiz
View Profile
New user
españa
22 Posts

Profile of daortiz
Hi friends! Thanks all for you interest. I hope be at same level than your expectations Smile

About the books... The printer was a little delay of two weeks for covid and the last news is that is ready Smile In the next hours the books start to send to Grupokaps in Spain and Murphys in USA and inmediatly start the send to everybody and the differents stores!
Thanks very much!

Dani
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Dani DaOrtiz, Freedom of Expression (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL