The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Penguin's "miracle thread" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Is the Kevlar thread sold by Fire Mountain a single thread or is it a multiple thread. If a multiple thread, how easy is it to strip (compared to WN)?

Thanks for the info.

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24275 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
All the kevlar I have seen that came in spools was made up of segments about 30 feet or so long. This isn't a problem for most thread use, but it means you aren't going to have really long pieces to work with.

There are other threads that are better for the Hummer card. Check Yigal Mesika's heavy duty thread.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi guys,,,

whats the thinnest but strogest thread I can use for the floating ball (don waynes). I want something very very thin but strong. Price is no matter.

Thanks
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2219 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Is there a place to get Kevlar Thread already stripped out in individual strands Preferably in long lengths?
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Shome,,,

There are basically 2 varietys of kevlar. 1 is bonded fibres and 2 is monofilament. Bonded is a group of threads woven together. Mono is as it sounds single. And the most useful for our purposes. But you can also try fireline as another member suggested to me and ive heard after that from many sources that its very invisible. Bye.
Flo
View Profile
New user
Paris
50 Posts

Profile of Flo
I've finaly bought the million dollar knot from penguin
and it came with a spool of miracle thread.
I don't know how are original mesika's loops
so I can't compare but here is a little description.
the thread isn't as invisible as LeClair's thread (woolly nylon) is but with right conditions it does its job. the thread is dark purple colored and little bit shinny.it could be seen over a too light hairless skin so if you are a swedish girl it may be a little bit harder to hide. I've played 2 days with the same loop without breaking it.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2004-08-30 08:17, Flo wrote:
I've finaly bought the million dollar knot from penguin
and it came with a spool of miracle thread.
the thread isn't as invisible as LeClair's thread (woolly nylon) is but with right conditions it does its job. the thread is dark purple colored and little bit shinny.it could be seen over a too light hairless skin so if you are a swedish girl it may be a little bit harder to hide. I've played 2 days with the same loop without breaking it.

Could you darken it with a sharpie?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Flo
View Profile
New user
Paris
50 Posts

Profile of Flo
Quote:
On 2004-08-30 08:49, MagicChris wrote:
Could you darken it with a sharpie?

yes,I supose that you can, but for me it's already too much dark(even if I'm not a swedish girl;-)so I didn't try. you can avoid the shiny reflection by making a shadow over it.
you just have to look for the light sources and put something between them and your loop.
MagicMan5150
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of MagicMan5150
Quote:
On 2004-08-30 08:17, Flo wrote:

I think they're pretty darn close! I've heard a lot of people having problems with the thread but if you take your time it's really not that hard to use.
magicduro
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
529 Posts

Profile of magicduro
I'm not a big fan of thread on the spool. Mine broke and I couldn't find the loose end. Who else supplies BLACK elastic thread? I've seen many people advertise elastic thread but I'm not sure if it's black.
Don McCleod
View Profile
Veteran user
Coulsdon
360 Posts

Profile of Don McCleod
I'm trying to get hold of something called Durolastin or something like that. Apparently it's a fantastic elastic IT. I suspect it might just be pure Lycra. I might try and strip some from my wife's swimsuit.
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
4979 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
THIS HOT: ZYLON INVISIBLE THREAD (Supermans Thread):

http://extrememagi.com/zylon.htm
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
266 Posts

Profile of Martello
I am warry about internet offers since being burned by 1magic.com. Anyone know if this Zylon is for real and if ExtremeMagi is a real company?
brownbeauty
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of brownbeauty
Hi Don,
What you are looking for is "dorlastan". You can read about it in the "Magical Accessories" section here on the "Café". I am the distributor in the U.S. for the product. I stock inventory and the packages weight approx. 1 1/2 lbs. These packages will give you a lifetime supply of Invisible Elastic Thread and enough left over to start a business. If still interested contact me for pricing.

Thanks,

Rudy
Barry Gitelson
View Profile
Special user
Kona Hawaii
922 Posts

Profile of Barry Gitelson
http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia20......e05.html

The above link came up in a google search for Zylon thread
"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God." Author: Leo Buscaglia
giochi
View Profile
Elite user
486 Posts

Profile of giochi
Martello,

I can only speak from personal experience. http://www.extrememagi.com is a legitimate company. I purchased some freaky stuff from them and the Zylon. They do not have a large selection, mostly do to the fact that they create what they sell, not including certain accessories. The web page is under construction, but they are selling only zylon for now. I am guessing because the demand seems to great.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Has anyone come up with a source for this Zylon thread? I don't mean a magic dealer, but a real world source. You know, the guys the magic dealer gets it from, before he sticks a picture of a top hat on it and jacks the price up 600 times.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
I received an unsolicited email yesterday from extreme magic offering to sell me 150' of Zylon for $75.00.

First off, I think that this is an outrageously high price for 150' of a fiber that comes probably 1000s of feet per roll. I'd certainly be interested in learning how expensive a roll of this thread is per "industrial" roll so that we can compare and determine if $75.00/150 length is a fair and reasonable price. Yes I know that supposedly the Zylon stand is made up of "thousands" of single mini-strands and it is being advertised that you are getting 150,000 feet of single thread when the thread is stripped out.

After seeing that $75.00 price, I began to do some Internet research. I have learned that the Zylon is used in bullet proof vests for police and that one police agency has sued the manufacturer of the vest because allegedly their vests have deteriorated because the Zylon is not stable and breaks down in a relatively short period of time (compared to nylon and other stable polymers?). The Zylon fiber is allegedly very susceptible to UV light!! If that's the case, what do you, as a magician, have to do? Perform in the dark? (grin)

And while our magician requirements are not as stingent as a police agency's, I'd like some additional info on the "break down deterioration period" and how any such deterioration might impact the effects we do with IT. (I.E., Is the deterioration only critical in bullet stopping vests, or, will it effect the IT's strngth for our normal magic IT uses?) IMHO, $75.00 is a heck of a price to pay to learn the full affect of any such alleged deterioration.

Does anyone else have any additional info on this fiber or its stability or its strength specifications. I'd also be interested in learning its tensile strength for a single 1.5 denier thread. And, I'd also be interested in learning (from someone who owns some of this Zylon IT) exactly how easy it is to strip out a single fiber thread AND how strong they have found the single thread to be. Finally, I'd be interested in learning just how "invisible" this thread really is. Is it satisfactory for bright sun outdoor use or bright light indoor use.

The magic ads for this don't seem to answer or address these types of questions.

Thanks for any info.

Mike

P.S. Too bad that magic dealers don't pass some of this Zylon thread out to a significant number of magicians for beta testing and honest feedback back to the "masses". I'm willing to be one such beta testers.

Eschew obfuscation.
Leo B. Domapias
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Leo B. Domapias
You may want to buy Extreme Magi's sample package first before plunking down your $75 on an untested IT. The sample package is just $10 for a 15-ft. bundle.

Leo
Manila, Philippines
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2005-02-25 02:46, Leo B. Domapias wrote:
You may want to buy Extreme Magi's sample package first before plunking down your $75 on an untested IT. The sample package is just $10 for a 15-ft. bundle.

Leo
Manila, Philippines

Leo,

Ah! Now that's more like it!! The email I received only mentioned the "150' piece for $75.00" option. I was not aware of any other options. Now, I guess the only remaining question is how much S&H will there be for shipping something that can be mailed in an ordinary envelope for $0.37.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Penguin's "miracle thread" (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL