We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Hot Rod gem selection (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
395 Posts

Profile of Avocat
I personally never liked the "spell to your color" aspect of gem selection for the classic hot rod

Anyone ever just let people pick a color? For a group of three or more, SOMEone is almost certain to pick the key color gem, especially if it's pink or red

And if no one does, just choose it yourself: "we all have favorite colors, what's yours? Ah, I see, mine's red"

Figure you could also do a quick line-or-two cold-reading based on each person's color choice.

Unfortunately, I haven't owned one for years so I can't test the presentation myself

Anyone ever dispense with the gem selection aspect?
davidpaul$
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, Pa
3036 Posts

Profile of davidpaul$
What has worked for me is to have a person think of a number from 1 to 6 but to just spell the number in their mind. I give an example like T H R E E. Sometimes when I say this it's the number they were thinking of and they smile and say "That was it" and go on with the routine. Then you have a double whammy no matter what.

Having THEM spell the number in their minds makes sense to lead them to the force color. ( if they choose 1,2 or 6 there is a reason to spell) I think I got this idea from Jay Sankey.
Guilt will betray you before technique betrays you!
Avocat
View Profile
Veteran user
395 Posts

Profile of Avocat
That's brilliant

It makes little sense logically but it FEELS like it makes sense, and more importantly makes the spelling seem like less of an "out"

thanks for sharing that!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1740 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I always disliked that aspect and worked around it. In the past I would say it depends what color gem and what story I could write for it.
For instance, I've done stories about marriage and diamonds that eliminate the !@#$e.
I'm currently getting back into magic after a couple years away from it. My grandsons are at that age where they are able to understand magic.
I was practicing a routine and started thinking not only do I not need a force, but maybe I also don't need a reason to lead to any one gem as part of a storyline. We're magicians who do magical things. Why not just say, "Have you ever seen one of these?" and go into a routine. "Watch this!" Or, "Check this out!"
You can also start with the solid color and turn them multicolored.
End with a vanish. Boom. Mind blowing magic without spelling numbers.
Opinions?
I'll check back and let you know how these experiments work out.
Performing magic unprofessionally since 2008!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1740 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
I'm thinking with my current green hot rod that for children it might be a wand given to me by a Leprechaun. The rainbow theme could be incorporated and the rod can be turned to rainbow colors, then vanished.

I like the storylines, obviously, but I'm willing to give either a try. The Leprechaun thing just came to me today.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2680 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2022, Theodore Lawton wrote:

You can also start with the solid color and turn them multicolored.
End with a vanish. Boom. Mind blowing magic without spelling numbers.

What a simple solution. That is a great idea. Reverse hot rod!
Levi Bennett
View Profile
Inner circle
1740 Posts

Profile of Levi Bennett
Thanks brother! Good to see you're still here!
martonikus
View Profile
Regular user
145 Posts

Profile of martonikus
If 3 or 4 is selected, you count. Otherwise, say "You know how to cast a magic spell? You spell the magic word, right? Your word is 'five'. Okay then. F, I, V, E." etc. If you can proceed to change it back to rainbow and then make it disappear, you have a good trick!

Now if you have an extra, examinable stick with the force color on both sides, you can change the first one back to rainbow, then reveal the extra one and now do some knife moves, eventually pocketing the rainbow stick and ending with the regular one, which can be shown clearly before you put it away and go on to something else.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4166 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Something I liked doing was locating something that is the same color as the force jewel - an article of someone's clothing is great, but anything can work if it is in a good location relative to your specs. Let's say someone is wearing a red shirt. Touch the end of the HR to the sleeve and the jewels turn the same color. Follow with a vanish.

Can't always do this, of course, but there are times when it can be a real eye-popper. Just something to have 'at the ready' when the time is right.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Tweed
View Profile
New user
Knoxville, Tn
7 Posts

Profile of Tweed
I love hot rods. That was the first piece of magic I bought from a magic store in Gatlinburg. I agree that the force is the weakest part of the effect. Usually no one suspects anything, but when they do, I break the cardinal rule and repeat the trick with another hotrod with the other possible KS.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
New user
Henderson, NV
79 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
Spelling is definitely a weak out, but it's also only if they don't pick the 3 or 4.

I also like the idea of having them just name a color, if red isn't chosen I would just make a joke and say "I like red haha".

Hot rod is not the strongest effect TBH.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Hot Rod gem selection (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL