The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » INDEXED (52 cards - 1 pocket - Built into a deck!) (224 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I received this today and it's something I'm really excited to use. Mark provides a great tutorial that covers all the bases as well as a few routines. It's very clever and with just a bit of practice I can see that it will do exactly as advertised. I'm looking forward to practicing as that alone is going to be fun.

This was my first order from Saturn and even though I purchased this while they were at Blackpool, it still made its way from the UK to Los Angeles just nine days after I ordered. Great service!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Andrew, it is a great utility isn't it? very well-thought out and designed. I am happy with mine, also.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2022, Andrew Zuber wrote:. . .

This was my first order from Saturn and even though I purchased this while they were at Blackpool, it still made its way from the UK to Los Angeles just nine days after I ordered. Great service!

Woo hoo! I'm at 8 days and counting since my order (UK to St. Louis, MO). Really looking forward to using my first true index utility. I've been wanting to have an excuse to use a Mercury fold. A true invisible deck routine as demoed by Mark Travosoni on the Saturn Magic site was the clincher for me to purchase. All the comments here have been very useful, but seeing that simple routine was too much fun to pass up.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, Forza Azzurri wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 28, 2022, Andrew Zuber wrote:. . .

Woo hoo! I'm at 8 days and counting since my order (UK to St. Louis, MO). Really looking forward to using my first true index utility. I've been wanting to have an excuse to use a Mercury fold. A true invisible deck routine as demoed by Mark Travosoni on the Saturn Magic site was the clincher for me to purchase. All the comments here have been very useful, but seeing that simple routine was too much fun to pass up.

I'm in the same boat regarding the Mercury, and of course that's covered well in the tutorial. A clean fold along with any card at the fingertips is a great tool!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Like Andrew, I (just) received my INDEXED from Saturn Magic in the UK to the US in 9 days. Excellent service. Since you can only get this from Saturn at this time I thought I'd chime in for those of us in the US. Don't worry. Even though shipping was about 16 GBP ($21 USD) for me this product was underpriced (30 GBP = $40 USD). For around $60 I now have a great utility that I expect to use for years.

Though I know about indexes and how many of them work, this is my first purchase of such a product. I am more that satisfied. Dare I say, giddy? For those like me who have never actually used an index, this is a no-brainer. The engineering is top notch and basic use of the utility is easy to master. Like all good utilities, it's the uses to which one puts it that can create real magic. While watching the video tutorial I came up with a half dozen ideas on how I would use it. One of the areas I am interested in exploring is using this with alternative decks, such as the Star Trek UNO decks. Also thinking of using my own created decks. Without revealing anything, I will point out that this is optimized for use with standard Bicycle decks so I'm expecting some failures.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Why this is a sensible purchase: rate dollars vs. cost dollars.

Certain purchases require refills (e.g., Anniversary Waltz) or by their delicate nature need replacements as they wear out. So when you're expecting ongoing expenditures you're dealing with "rate dollars." In library land a magazine subscription uses rate dollars and requires a long term commitment of funds annually. That magazine doesn't cost $50, it costs $50 this year, next year, the next year . . .

Cost dollars are one time expenditures. Spend once and nothing more. Magic utilities, like INDEXED, fall in this category. Think of change bags, production boxes, etc.

So if you're waffling about spending on something like this consider that it will be a one time finite expenditure for a tool you will likely use for a long time.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1612 Posts

Profile of Marvello
My only criticism of this effect is that the gimmick seems to be 3D printed. That is fine for a prototype, however when selling a marketed effect I think it should be molded in a more durable fashion.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
I have one for sale down below if anyone in the USA is looking for one.
Magic-Daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
Denmark
1328 Posts

Profile of Magic-Daniel
...So I accidently took out all the cards and thought it was my regular deck...doh!

Can I get the cards back to its index or do I have to buy a new one?
viler
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
186 Posts

Profile of viler
Quote:
On Apr 20, 2022, Magic-Daniel wrote:
...So I accidently took out all the cards and thought it was my regular deck...doh!

Can I get the cards back to its index or do I have to buy a new one?

Yes, you can get it back to it's index. Watch the tutorial
Kjellstrom
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden, Scandinavia, Europe
5203 Posts

Profile of Kjellstrom
I ordered Indexed a few days ago. I look forward to have this gimmick soon...
I will write about it when have performed some magic with Indexed. I wonder how long time it will take to arrive to sweden from england?
Big Al Jnr
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
155 Posts

Profile of Big Al Jnr
I got my Gimmick over the weekend and finally made time last night to sit an M37386y fold a full deck and add them.

I honestly think it's easier to retrieve folded cards over unfolded ones. I think I'm really going to love using this. Of course there is some practice to make this clean and swift but not hurried, I believe it will be worth it to use with Switch One that I've been working on. I prefer this index to the Switch one, less pocket space, all 52 cards.

The construction is what I thought it would be, and it looks durable enough. I'd suggest if you're going to M****** Fold the cards to use a tool to help. I have a card folding machine in my office, that puts a crease in and stretches the card to form a neat crease, without tearing the paper. The cards look really neat and are also creased accurately and in the same place on every card. It's worth putting the work in and I'm very happy with INDEXED. I will say, I almost bought a Pheonix Double-decker deck to use in this, let's just say, that would have been a mistake to perform the regular routine, but I can see the potential for a "different" effect somehow. I'll report back if I work something out.
The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them. George Bernard Shaw.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On May 23, 2022, Big Al Jnr wrote:
I got my Gimmick over the weekend and finally made time last night to sit an M37386y fold a full deck and add them.

I honestly think it's easier to retrieve folded cards over unfolded ones. I think I'm really going to love using this. Of course there is some practice to make this clean and swift but not hurried, I believe it will be worth it to use with Switch One that I've been working on. I prefer this index to the Switch one, less pocket space, all 52 cards.

The construction is what I thought it would be, and it looks durable enough. I'd suggest if you're going to M****** Fold the cards to use a tool to help. I have a card folding machine in my office, that puts a crease in and stretches the card to form a neat crease, without tearing the paper. The cards look really neat and are also creased accurately and in the same place on every card. It's worth putting the work in and I'm very happy with INDEXED. I will say, I almost bought a Pheonix Double-decker deck to use in this, let's just say, that would have been a mistake to perform the regular routine, but I can see the potential for a "different" effect somehow. I'll report back if I work something out.

I’d love to hear more about the card folder, I didn’t know they existed. (just curious)
Thx
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Big Al Jnr
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
155 Posts

Profile of Big Al Jnr
Quote:
On May 23, 2022, 252life wrote:
Quote:
On May 23, 2022, Big Al Jnr wrote:

I’d love to hear more about the card folder, I didn’t know they existed. (just curious)
Thx

This is very similar to mine...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/VEVOR-Scoring-C......8BHXGTVZ
The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can’t find them, make them. George Bernard Shaw.
Big Al Jnr
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
155 Posts

Profile of Big Al Jnr
Mine is only A4 to A5 size, so smaller than the one I linked to.
Big Al Jnr
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
155 Posts

Profile of Big Al Jnr
Has anyone found a way to stop the "Thwap!" noise? Getting the selection down but still getting a "Thwap!" noise.
Big Al Jnr
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
155 Posts

Profile of Big Al Jnr
So having played with thi for a few days I have the selection down, just the NOISE! I don't seem to be able to make the selection quietly. Anyone any tips? I'm nervous that in most performing situations that noise will be noticed, perhaps busy events no, but a more intimate one-to-one setting, it's noticeable. Love it other than the noise, so it might not get used.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
Quote:
On May 27, 2022, Big Al Jnr wrote:
So having played with thi for a few days I have the selection down, just the NOISE! I don't seem to be able to make the selection quietly. Anyone any tips? I'm nervous that in most performing situations that noise will be noticed, perhaps busy events no, but a more intimate one-to-one setting, it's noticeable. Love it other than the noise, so it might not get used.

Good to know. I’m not familiar with the mechanism and wouldn’t have considered noise with something like this. Thanks.
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
3017 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
For me it's just a light touch once I find the card. It just came with practice - locating the selection and providing a bit of a buffer with my fingers to remove it.
Big Al Jnr
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
155 Posts

Profile of Big Al Jnr
Quote:
On May 27, 2022, Andrew Zuber wrote:
For me it's just a light touch once I find the card. It just came with practice - locating the selection and providing a bit of a buffer with my fingers to remove it.

Its the noise whilst locating the selection. Without giving away the method its hard to explain. Even doing what I need to do gently still creates the noise. One I have the selection the removal of the card is silent. I've spent about 20 minutes today playing with it more. it will be something I use but only in noisy environments, which is a shame.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » INDEXED (52 cards - 1 pocket - Built into a deck!) (224 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL