The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Strongest effect with a Scotch & Soda? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PRmagic
View Profile
New user
Bronx NY
50 Posts

Profile of PRmagic
The other day I was in a magic shop and this man(who I didn't think was a magician until afterwards) placed an English penny and half-dollar in my hand. Then he told me to remove the bottom(?) coin from my hand and it was the half-dollar, so I figured the English penny was still in my hand. Then he placed another half dollar on top of my closed fist. Waved his hand over and it visually changed into a English penny. When I opened my hand the penny was gone --in its place was a quarter! I don't know if I explained it well, but it was really good.

I thought the combination of Scotch and Soda and the Raven was very creative. I'm used to just seeing the normal routine with a S&S. What was a strong effect you guys have seen or done with a Scotch and Soda?
Be Curious
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Combinations are very strong magic. Most folks have seen the individal illusions.
I like the scotch and soda back to back
or at the same time as the vodka and orange juice. Two hand magic is pretty amazing to most.

In my own hands the scotch and soda with half Sh**l over the top.
Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Eventually, you'll want to check out Reed McClintock's "Knucklebusters, vol.1" wherein you will find the most sophisticated routine for S&S I've ever seen in print. (Not counting the Magic Masters demo that pitches three sets at once)

The bad news is that in order to do Reed's routine, you'll have to break your existing gaff. The good news is that the routine is worth it.

Besides, gaffs are a crutch! Abandon them, cast them off! Seek the pure light of the ordinary coin. Follow the silver path to Coinirvana. Smile
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Curtis, you are probably right. Gaffs are a crutch of sorts. One thing is certian though the Scotch and Soda,Rum and Coke, Vodka and Orage Juice, penny and dime are all here to stay. We just need to think harder before we use them. I will check Knucklebusters though.

Thanks for the tip. Smile
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I have a couple of effects that use this gaff in different ways in my upcoming book.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Curtis,

I always thought that the path to 'Coinirvana' was a copper/silver path.

Regards,

John
"One arrow. One life."
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
King Stardog writes: "Gaffes are a crutch of sorts. One thing is certain though the Scotch and Soda,Rum and Coke, Vodka and Orage Juice, penny and dime are all here to stay. We just need to think harder before we use them."

Even though I don't normally use gaffes, I don't think I would call them a crutch; that's a bit harsh.

Some things are possible only with gaffes.

However, Scotch and Soda is NOT one of them.
It strikes me that this was made with a gimmick so there would be something to sell!

In my Showtime column in the Linking Ring magazine of some years back, I did a No-Gimmick Scotch and Soda, which gets around the problem of bang rings, resets, and gaffes.

I have mentioned this many times before but, if anyone is interested, e-mail me and I will send you the routine. Gratis!

Aren't I a nice guy! Smile

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showitmecol@aol.com
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
I agree with Peter. Gaffs are not a crutch...even though I can see some magicians using as such. They are a means to an end. In magic,....the end always justifies the means!! Smile

I have a nice routine I call "Lucky Coins" using the Hopping Halves. I will share it with those who ask.
Where gaffs shine is being able to do something with them that would be impossible without them and it appears like real magic!

I keep the use of gaffs to a minimum opting for sleight of hand that can be done impromptu with someone elses coins!
Daniel Faith
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
Guardian,
E-mail Peter and you won't be disapointed.
PM me with the "Lucky Coins"
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1828 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Gaffed coins are a means to an end. So are sleights. They each have their advantages and disadvantages. I don't see them as "crutches" though, just one of the ways to skin a cat. Smile
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
The big advantage with the gaff is the "no ditch" Also the copper is visible up to the last second, and you can pull away showing both hands clean. It pays however to be able to work without a giant fanny pack with you all the time. Most times people come up and ask to see something, I don't have my Elephants,Tigers and dancing horses with me.
Smile
CS Sheridan
View Profile
New user
65 Posts

Profile of CS Sheridan
I just recieved Peter's handling on the no gimmick S&S, and it's beautifully clean when executed properly. Many thanks, Pete! A great handling, a great trick!
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
A great thinker as well...
Merlin!
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Merlin!
That sounds pretty good, I suggest using two sets, this works great for two-handed magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Strongest effect with a Scotch & Soda? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL