The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bottle caps and coin routine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I came up with a routine that is working out very well for me and I wanted to share it with the guys from this forum in particular, even though it is not strictly speaking a coin trick...but there is a coin in it. I was thinking of going to "Ever So Sleightly" or elsewhere. I finally decided to share it here.

What it is, is an "Across" style routine but with 3 metal bottlecaps and an unusual odd coin, which supposedly brings the bottlecaps across, one at a time. The reason for the switch is that I've found that I can make my hand look even more natural while classic palming a metal bottlecap than with a coin.

The 3 bottlecaps start in a pile to your left. The odd coin is to your right. Each cap to go across is a separate event. It is vanished and then some "pixie dust" is taken from the air and sprinkled over the right hand which is held just over the odd coin. It is as if the molecules reform and you hear the cap arrive under the hand and clink against the odd coin as it arrives.

Each cap is handled a little differently. The first vanish is a fake take. The second is a fake "put", and the last one is a spider-grip vanish, using the classic palm version of the move. I have a little convincer using the Malini Subtlety to seemingly show both hands before the final arrival. As with all my routines, this isn't really to show other magicians. I urge you to try this and then show it to a few non-magicians, and I think you'll love the reaction.

I offer this as my early tribute to David Roth.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
David was my friend but he was also the one who taught me the most about "routine construction". If I showed this to him, he would have hated it, and then 2 weeks later I'd show him again and he would have forgotten I showed it to him already, but this time he'd love it.
GlennLawrence
View Profile
Veteran user
Randolph NJ
321 Posts

Profile of GlennLawrence
Hey Gregg, by any chance did this routine come out of your Triangulation effect that was written up in Genii a few years ago? I've been working on it of late and I do find the bottlecaps fairly easy to palm.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1564 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
No, but thanks for asking. Lately I wasn't happy with the last move in Triangulation and decided to stop doing it, and this is what I came up with to substitute for it. But, I use the bottlecap on little kids, just one bottlecap, and sometimes I ring in another when I go to a pocket like it jumped to a pocket, but I bring out another so can do some pretty weird stuff...Slydini's rub one into one elbow and it comes out of the opposite elbow...but super clean...main point is that I can make my hand look super good when palming a metal bottlecap.

I'm thrilled that someone read that item in Genii.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Bottle caps and coin routine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL