The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is this for me? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
I was looking for a way to get some "formal" instruction on magic, and I found http://www.magic.org.za/ (College of Magic). It's in South Africa, but they have a distance learning unit available, which includes notes, props, and instruction.

My question is, I already have a respectable repertoire, and have performed a few times in public. In addition, I'm a member of a local magic club. Will this do anything for me other than taking my money and re-teaching me basics I already know?
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
GypsyPirate
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of GypsyPirate
I know of big-time guys who did it all on their own... and I don't know why you can't buy in books and videos anymore anyway... I wouldn't, but look into it a little further.
Magic Mark

"How'd you do that?" ... "Very carefully."
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
According to the site,
Quote:
The Distance Learning Program follows the College of Magic's core curriculum which introduces everything from close-up, street-style magic through to some of the grand effects of the stage.
Do you have the opportunity (or the desire) to perform in each of these venues? "Street-style magic" requires more than a knowledge of methods in order to be effective. Will the course teach you how to gather a crowd? How to control that crowd? What to do if you are harassed by police or other officials? Do you have any opportunities to perform on stage? If so, does is that stage suited for "grand effects?"

I am not saying you should or should not sign up for the course. I just want to give you some "food for thought" in making your decision.

I do recommend asking members of your magic club if they are willing to give you formal instruction. Someone may be willing to do so gratis.
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
danedover
View Profile
New user
Central Arkansas
22 Posts

Profile of danedover
The real value in someone teaching you is that they can critique what you are doing and make suggestions for improvement, etc. The basics you can learn from books and videos. I took formal instruction as a teenager and my instructor (an old pro) gave input on what worked what didn't etc. I don't see how you can get this from a distance.
BerkleyJL
View Profile
Veteran user
Chicago, IL
397 Posts

Profile of BerkleyJL
Thanks for the tips Bruce. The course is not designed for training buskers. I have "The Art of Street Performing" by Cellini for that. I will ask around the club at the next meeting. I already trade ideas and tips with a few of the guys, and someone may be willing to show me what I haven't yet learned.
I need a stage name.

Joe Berkley
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Berkley,

You can dig into this a little deeper on the threads here. Do a search for the school in the MagicCafe. I know this has been discussed several times, asking questions similar to yours.

From what I remember, and thinking I'm familiar with what it is you want to do -- street busking -- I'd say you'd be better served picking up the resources produced by the likes of the aforementioned Cellini, including his book, "The Royal Touch," and works by Gazzo, Hayden, Sheridan, Sheets, and Anderson. All started out and honed their material on the streets.

However, it's your money and your time, only you can decide. That's my $.02 (USD) worth. YMMV.

Joe in KC

Make magic happen, live a great adventure!
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
Personal instruction is far and away the best. Unfortunately most of us learned by the seat of our pants. I would suggest learning the "traditional" way of magicians of old, as an apprentice. Get a mentor and work with him/her. Also see as much magic performed as possible and do a little hard critiquing of your own.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
Quote:
On 2004-06-23 23:19, BerkleyJL wrote:
I was looking for a way to get some "formal" instruction on magic, and I found http://www.magic.org.za/ (College of Magic). It's in South Africa, but they have a distance learning unit available, which includes notes, props, and instruction.
My question is, I already have a respectable repertoire, and have performed a few times in public. In addition, I'm a member of a local magic club. Will this do anything for me other than taking my money and re-teaching me basics I already know?
I e-mailed them a while ago, and they were very kind in replying. They said that this course was not for me, as it was targeted to more of the beginner Magicians and that they could not offer much to me.

Keep that in mind.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Is this for me? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL