We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » WHAT..... (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I am just browsing Vanishing Magic's web site....

When did they, or rather Magic World.co.uk purachase the rights to

Secret Device
Gimmick X
Lock picking 1 and 2
Cell Escape

They are on the Vanishing Inc Web site: https://www.vanishingincmagic.com/search......ch-input

I know they all say out of stock, but why have them on the site if they are not going to be getting them in stock?

Seems strange to me.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I am not saying anything nefarious is going on - just surprised is all.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
745 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Let's inquire at:

www.davidde-val.com (Allan & Rebecca)
harry knight
View Profile
Loyal user
207 Posts

Profile of harry knight
Doesn't Jay own the rights to Lock Picking 1 & 2?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
I guess someone is making as they are now in stock.

Gimmick X £74.40 .... wow! Not sure I would pay that these days.

Really intrigued by this being available again .... brings back some happy memories.
allantaylor
View Profile
Regular user
Yorkshire, England
109 Posts

Profile of allantaylor
Sorry only just seen this, Some old dead stock was sold from a UK magic shop and has made its way to various dealers who (imo) are selling at silly prices. These are not reproduced items. None of this has any connection with De-Val Magic. If you want a copy of the Cell escape book then come to us and get the modern version - PS Jay doesn't own the rights to any of the books
Buy the new updated Cell Escape-The Real Secret http://de-val-magic.co.uk/store/
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sent you a PM
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1217 Posts

Profile of Leo H
I'm thrilled I was able to obtain a Gimmick X from Vanishing Inc. It's not available on Deval's website, and my inquiries about the device here in this menu went nowhere.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, Leo H wrote:
I'm thrilled I was able to obtain a Gimmick X from Vanishing Inc. It's not available on Deval's website, and my inquiries about the device here in this menu went nowhere.


It has not been made for a very long time - which is why it is not available anywhere. As someone said above the prices are silly prices. I don't think that the prices on Vanishing Inc are reasonable at all. But saying that I still have mine and keep it in my collection. Very rarely used it in any real escapes and never in a performance situation.

David
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1217 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, dave_matkin wrote: It has not been made for a very long time - which is why it is not available anywhere. As someone said above the prices are silly prices.


Gimmick X is not available anywhere. That means the price on Vanishing Inc. is acceptable.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, Leo H wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 7, 2022, dave_matkin wrote: It has not been made for a very long time - which is why it is not available anywhere. As someone said above the prices are silly prices.


Gimmick X is not available anywhere. That means the price on Vanishing Inc. is acceptable.


That is certainly a train of thought. I still don't think it is worth £74.40, it originally sold for closer to £30 when David was alive and selling them. There are multiple other methods available that will do the same job and to be honest more securely and will last a lot longer.

On another quick note you may (will probably depending on cuffs) want to modify your ends of the gimmick so that it will open more cuffs (watch out for multiple paws as the head may not get all the paws). Make sure you test it on the cuffs you are going to use it on before being bound (yes I know that's a given but with remembering and saying).

Good luck with your escapes going forwards and enjoy using it.
Leo H
View Profile
Inner circle
1217 Posts

Profile of Leo H
Quote:
On Aug 8, 2022, dave_matkin wrote:I still don't think it is worth £74.40, it originally sold for closer to £30 when David was alive and selling them. There are multiple other methods available that will do the same job and to be honest more securely and will last a lot longer.


I didn't think it was worth $80 either, but Deval is dead, and Gimmick X is impossible to find. When you compare impossible to locate to $80, then the price becomes acceptable. My inquiries about Gimmick X were met with crickets here. So I had no idea about cheaper and more reliable substitutes. You go forward only with what you know.
Riley
View Profile
Special user
Darlington UK
953 Posts

Profile of Riley
I have David's original 'Gimmick X' which was much stronger and larger than the model he sold. I drew the illustrations for this device, and recall
David expressing his disappointment with the device as received from the local workshop. It was too flimsy to be entirely practical, and as Dave mentioned above needed some filing to be useful. If you have my book 'A Key by any other Name' (Get it from Allan and Rebecca), David's original has a head like Fig. 13 page 12 at one end, and Fig. 8 page 9 at the other. Fig. 8 would be side skeletoned NOT top skeletoned. If you don't know what I mean, Fig. 9 shows top skeletoned.
The only other info I will give you is an engineer's folding steel rule and someone with a brazing kit.
The info above is worth your $80....take your wife out to dinner.
Or your girlfriend....
But not both Smile

Riley
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4498 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Aug 25, 2022, Riley wrote:
I have David's original 'Gimmick X' which was much stronger and larger than the model he sold. I drew the illustrations for this device, and recall
David expressing his disappointment with the device as received from the local workshop. It was too flimsy to be entirely practical, and as Dave mentioned above needed some filing to be useful. If you have my book 'A Key by any other Name' (Get it from Allan and Rebecca), David's original has a head like Fig. 13 page 12 at one end, and Fig. 8 page 9 at the other. Fig. 8 would be side skeletoned NOT top skeletoned. If you don't know what I mean, Fig. 9 shows top skeletoned.
The only other info I will give you is an engineer's folding steel rule and someone with a brazing kit.
The info above is worth your $80....take your wife out to dinner.
Or your girlfriend....
But not both Smile

Riley


I would add to that…..

“at the same time”.
Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
745 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
RE: Riley's (great) booklet: "A Key By Any Other Name"....

May I assume that this is a typo:

Page 12: "The 'articulated' key extension (fig. 24)" -----should actually be Fig. 15 (top of page 13).

("Fig. 24" appears in the booklet on page 17 - showing a spring steel "hook pick" - for Tower Detective handcuffs).
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » WHAT..... (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL