The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Block by Dan Harlan (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
I got mine. It comes in a really nice magnetic latch box with the instructional link on the inside of the lid so you will not lose it. It looks and feels top notch.

I'm looking forward to performing it.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
The last reveal that Brent added in the 4K release is good don't get me wrong, but that is just a quicker version of what's been done the whole time. I get that for magicians the last phase is unexpected so they perceive it as better. Perhaps it is. I just think a really good argument can be made that the ROUTINE that Dan offers is superior to the basic one offered with 4K and that the vanish of the block at the end is, I think, on par with the 4K ending in a layman's mind.

Now add in the difference in quality. Plastic versus wood. Wood is nicer, easy winner there. What about the block. Just colors in 4K but Dan added symbols, shapes, and letters to his block. That gives a magician more options with different reveals. I would also bet Dan explains his routine extremely well.

I don't own either of these but I am likely gonna purchase Mental Block based on the above thoughts. IMHO, YMMV...

Quote:
On Jan 20, 2022, dirtyfoucault wrote:
This looks nicer than 4K Colour Vision but there's no going back since Brent added that killer last phase. I think with 4K you can script your way around most of the issues Dan raises with justifications etc. Conversely you can't add that final phase to Dan's, so it will feel to some like it's missing something.

I feel for Dan, it must be a bit annoying being beaten to the punch like this when you've worked hard on a trick. Still, seems to be selling well at Penguin regardless.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
This is SUPER CLEVER! This gives reason to the color vision box. I love 4K, and I highly recommend that if you don't have it, get it. Then, add Mental Block by Dan Harlan. I love 4K, but it was hard to introduce. This one opens up the floodgates for segues from funny introductions.
KJ
mayhem
View Profile
Regular user
117 Posts

Profile of mayhem
I decided to purchase this as well. I'm a fan of Dan Harlan's products. Looks great.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
I agree with Kaliix’s opinion. The 4K ending appeals more to magicians or those who may be familiar with the original. But to lay folk it looks about the same as what you’ve been doing all along. But I do like that it cancels out the other method. It’s a worthwhile improvement by Brent Braun for sure.

Dan's prop and routine brings a lot more new stuff to the table IMO. And I get that Brent’s 4K prop is purposely designed to resemble the classic prop from yesteryear, but Dan’s is not only much nicer looking but allows for more presentational ideas.

My only gripe with Mental Block (and I admit it’s pretty nit picky) is I wish they had changed a couple of the colors to something else because one can be hard to see and the other could be misconstrued as one of the other colors. Dan even points this out in both his performance and in the tutorial. Again, not a big deal but I would have preferred something different because it seems like it would have been easy enough to do, but maybe not. What do I know about producing wooden alphabet blocks? Zilch.

Perhaps in the future Dan and Brent can join forces and release an add on block to be used with Mental Block but which allows for the ending as in 4K. I believe you could still even end with the block vanish if so desired giving you the best of both worlds.
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
317 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
How does Dan's effect differ from the classic children's trick? I am not sure I understand that...
TheSecretFire
View Profile
Special user
597 Posts

Profile of TheSecretFire
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2022, saturnkk wrote:
How does Dan's effect differ from the classic children's trick? I am not sure I understand that...

It's bigger. The box is red, instead of green, and it uses a wooden block instead of a die. Smile

Also, you can use it to guess a shape, color, or letter, rather than just a number.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:

It's the same trick. You think of it as a children's trick because it came in a lot of kids magic sets. It's actually a trick that fools all ages.

Dan's version uses a real world object rather than a cube that exists only as part of a magic trick. The box the block goes in doesn't look like something you would get in a magic set and Dan also provides a complete routine.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
242 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
I love Dan's magic and I love what he has done with this classic. My question is simple: Has this effect been exploited too much in every magic kit for kids in the last 40 + years to actual fool people?

Cordially,
Russo
Ray Pierce
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2604 Posts

Profile of Ray Pierce
After receiving this today I’m thrilled with it. Yes, the block is great but the box is the real worker. It is SO smooth for working and is a pleasure to use. Can’t wait to put it in to use!
Ray Pierce
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
317 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2022, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Quote:

It's the same trick. You think of it as a children's trick because it came in a lot of kids magic sets. It's actually a trick that fools all ages.

Dan's version uses a real world object rather than a cube that exists only as part of a magic trick. The box the block goes in doesn't look like something you would get in a magic set and Dan also provides a complete routine.

Okay, it is not different just nicer. This would then only fool children and morons?
Mercury52
View Profile
Inner circle
Kevin Reylek
2240 Posts

Profile of Mercury52
Quote:
On Jan 21, 2022, RussoMagic.com wrote:
I love Dan's magic and I love what he has done with this classic. My question is simple: Has this effect been exploited too much in every magic kit for kids in the last 40 + years to actual fool people?

Cordially,
Russo

One could ask the same thing about a thumb tip, or any number of other props that have been included in countless tens of thousands of magic kits over the years. With the right handling & presentation, of course a 'magic kit item' can still fool and entertain audiences.
Kevin Reylek
Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Yes, yes, very true indeed. I can totally see master magician Dan Harlan creating and refining a routine around this effect over many years and then handcrafting an upgraded version of the cube and box because it will ONLY fool children and morons. Yep, you nailed it.

smh
Quote:
On Jan 22, 2022, saturnkk wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Okay, it is not different just nicer. This would then only fool children and morons?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
317 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
To each their own then I guess. Too many money grabs in this business. To think that a trick that came in a cereal box could fool people because it isn't plastic is an odd position to take.

Quote:
On Jan 22, 2022, Kaliix wrote:
Yes, yes, very true indeed. I can totally see master magician Dan Harlan creating and refining a routine around this effect over many years and then handcrafting an upgraded version of the cube and box because it will ONLY fool children and morons. Yep, you nailed it.

smh
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
To each his own conveniently sidesteps the question. Understandable since you can't HONESTLY believe Harlan would spend so much time on a trick that would only work on children and fools. Now you seem to think it's a money grab as well. Wow, I think Dan's reputation stands in direct contrast to that statement.

Please explain how the quality of an effect is determined by its method of delivery. Simplicity is the hallmark of most great tricks. Wrapping that simplicity up in a story with motivation and meaning and delivering it in a magically entertaining performance is a magician's stock-in-trade. That is exactly what Mr. Harlan has done here.

Now I have to buy the *** trick...

Quote:
To each their own then I guess. Too many money grabs in this business. To think that a trick that came in a cereal box could fool people because it isn't plastic is an odd position to take.

Quote:

smh
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

~Daniel J. Boorstin
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
317 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:
To each his own conveniently sidesteps the question. Understandable since you can't HONESTLY believe Harlan would spend so much time on a trick that would only work on children and fools. Now you seem to think it's a money grab as well. Wow, I think Dan's reputation stands in direct contrast to that statement.

Please explain how the quality of an effect is determined by its method of delivery. Simplicity is the hallmark of most great tricks. Wrapping that simplicity up in a story with motivation and meaning and delivering it in a magically entertaining performance is a magician's stock-in-trade. That is exactly what Mr. Harlan has done here.

Now I have to buy the *** trick...

Perhaps next month he (or someone) will come out with a fancy ball in vase trick you can pick up too!
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Indeed there are already fancy ball in vase tricks that you can pick up by respected performers.
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Saturnkk, have you performed this? You sound like the kind of person who learns how a trick works and then thinks it's too obvious to fool people without ever trying it.

I'm a restaurant performer and have done this for real audiences and it fools them. I worked behind a magic counter and sold them to adults because they had no clue.

Even though this was in many magic sets the percentage of adults who had magic kits and remember any of it is much smaller than you seem to think.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
How
View Profile
Regular user
NJ
101 Posts

Profile of How
So is this a professional looking 4k vision box? Them you looking boxes?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2022, How wrote:
So is this a professional looking 4k vision box? Them you looking boxes?

Proof reading really isn't that hard. I'm always surprised more people don't bother to take the few seconds it requires. But oh well, that's society today I guess. I fear it will only get worse.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Block by Dan Harlan (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL