The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Block by Dan Harlan (41 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Jack Straw
View Profile
Inner circle
Wichita
1020 Posts

Profile of Jack Straw
Yes, you're correct- them you looking boxes.
Jack Straw from Wichita, cut his buddy down
And dug for him a shallow grave, and laid his body down
Half a mile from Tucson, by the morning light
One man gone and another to go, my old buddy you're moving much too slow
We can share the women, we can share the wine
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
So... who does this fool? I can only speak from my experience. In all the years I've performed this, in every conceivable circumstance, I have never, ever, had anyone (except magicians) recognize this trick, nor know the method, nor figure it out. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that some of you have run into people who know it. It's never happened to me, and I've probably performed it more than you. Probably more than anyone. Of course, people who have a keen interest in magic will know it. My routine is designed to completely baffle the typical observer, AND delight anyone who happens to be "in-the-know." Each phase amps up the impossibility, throws in humorous curves, and justifies all the handling. Doesn't matter who you are... some part of it will fool you. If you didn't know the block was going to vanish, it would fly right by you. Like everything I market and endorse, I stand behind its ability to entertain (with a solid routine) and fool (with a practical method).

Here's a humorous anecdote: Years ago I was briefly employed as a demonstrator at a magic shop. One day, three young dudes walked in and I demo'd about a half-dozen items for them. They took particular interest in Color Vision and asked me to repeat it numerous times. Finally, in frustration, they purchased it, but had one odd request... they didn't want me to tell them how it was done. They asked me to hold on to the instructions and they would return the next day. When I asked them why, they said they were engineering students at USC and they wanted to try to figure it out on their own! Fast forward to the next day, when they returned and admitted defeat. They told me they tried everything they could think of and were still baffled. I simply took the box and block from them, moved the lid into the proper position, and they were literally floored... dropping to the ground at the sight of the secret that alluded them! One of my proudest moments.
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
In restaurants I sometimes make the parent into an instant stooge. The kids choose the color then hand you the box and you hold it in front of you and ask the parent what color the child chose. Most parents get it right away.

Sometimes I have to point at "it" several times for them to catch on. One time a mom kept getting it wrong no matter how pointedly I pointed. She later told me she saw what I was pointing at but still thought she had to guess the color on top. Luckily most parents get it quickly and have a lot of fun acting out their mind reading ability.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
Fedora
View Profile
Special user
Arizona, usa
774 Posts

Profile of Fedora
Has anyone here Tried performing this in a parlor setting?
if so how did you stage it?

looks like it might be doable, but getting it to be
visible for the back row could be tricky.
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
3509 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
If used in conjunction with Dan's Speakeasy...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2022, MeetMagicMike wrote:
In restaurants I sometimes make the parent into an instant stooge. The kids choose the color then hand you the box and you hold it in front of you and ask the parent what color the child chose. Most parents get it right away.

Sometimes I have to point at "it" several times for them to catch on. One time a mom kept getting it wrong no matter how pointedly I pointed. She later told me she saw what I was pointing at but still thought she had to guess the color on top. Luckily most parents get it quickly and have a lot of fun acting out their mind reading ability.

Hmm, that’s an interesting point I hadn’t thought of, that when you’re pointing to the color, from their perspective they believe they are seeing the side of the cube and therefore need to guess the color on top. It’s a bit like an unintentional dual reality.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
696 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
On the matter of who Color Vision variants fool: I think somebody implied the third phase of 4K Color Vision was only of value because it fools magicians. Not true. I've done it for countless punters over the last year and the third phase literally floors everybody. It's great not because it fools magicians but because Brent devised a clever routine that builds theatrically and magically. Dan has done the same here. These guys are masters of their craft. Ignore what you know about Colour Vision and look at how they've utilised it to created routines that blow minds.
NicholasD25
View Profile
Veteran user
381 Posts

Profile of NicholasD25
It seems that Color Vision wouldn’t still be a classic after some eighty years if it didn’t fool more than a few people.
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1669 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
"4K Color Vision" has been on my wishlist for a while. When Dan brought this out, I decided to buy both. I prefer the look of the wooden prop, but I will happily use both. I'm looking forward to performing this at work. I'll pop the box on my desk and wait for someone to ask what it is. The letter block is perfect for me because I work in a support role at a University. I can introduce it as "my toy box" and tell them that it contains a "rudimentary form of learning technology." I'm convinced this old classic will fool most lecturers and professors I work with!
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Quote:
On Jan 23, 2022, DanHarlan wrote:
So... who does this fool? I can only speak from my experience. In all the years I've performed this, in every conceivable circumstance, I have never, ever, had anyone (except magicians) recognize this trick, nor know the method, nor figure it out. Frankly, I'm surprised to hear that some of you have run into people who know it. It's never happened to me, and I've probably performed it more than you. Probably more than anyone. Of course, people who have a keen interest in magic will know it. My routine is designed to completely baffle the typical observer, AND delight anyone who happens to be "in-the-know." Each phase amps up the impossibility, throws in humorous curves, and justifies all the handling. Doesn't matter who you are... some part of it will fool you. If you didn't know the block was going to vanish, it would fly right by you. Like everything I market and endorse, I stand behind its ability to entertain (with a solid routine) and fool (with a practical method).

Here's a humorous anecdote: Years ago I was briefly employed as a demonstrator at a magic shop. One day, three young dudes walked in and I demo'd about a half-dozen items for them. They took particular interest in Color Vision and asked me to repeat it numerous times. Finally, in frustration, they purchased it, but had one odd request... they didn't want me to tell them how it was done. They asked me to hold on to the instructions and they would return the next day. When I asked them why, they said they were engineering students at USC and they wanted to try to figure it out on their own! Fast forward to the next day, when they returned and admitted defeat. They told me they tried everything they could think of and were still baffled. I simply took the box and block from them, moved the lid into the proper position, and they were literally floored... dropping to the ground at the sight of the secret that alluded them! One of my proudest moments.

I've been married to an engineer for 36 years and can vouch for their literalness (he says with the affection of someone married to the same person for 36 years). However, being a life long UCLA Bruin I could have told you that a couple of USC Trogan engineers couldn't figure it out!
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
If you'd argue the basic method is a fooler for laypeople, I'm not sure why the final phase would be any more of a fooler. Either you know or can approximate the workings or you can't. And if you can't, I'm not sure why the change in method would be any more fooling. Right?

Quote:
On Jan 24, 2022, dirtyfoucault wrote:
On the matter of who Color Vision variants fool: I think somebody implied the third phase of 4K Color Vision was only of value because it fools magicians. Not true. I've done it for countless punters over the last year and the third phase literally floors everybody. It's great not because it fools magicians but because Brent devised a clever routine that builds theatrically and magically. Dan has done the same here. These guys are masters of their craft. Ignore what you know about Colour Vision and look at how they've utilised it to created routines that blow minds.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jan 26, 2022, Platt wrote:
If you'd argue the basic method is a fooler for laypeople, I'm not sure why the final phase would be any more of a fooler. Either you know or can approximate the workings or you can't. And if you can't, I'm not sure why the change in method would be any more fooling. Right?

Quote:

Because even though they do not know how you are doing it, they usually guess you must either be able to discern the color from the sound of it moving in the box, or the weight is somehow lopsided, or there is some hidden indicator they can’t see, or maybe you’re even sneaking a peek of it somehow. But the last phase cancels everything out and makes all of those ideas impossible leaving them truly fooled.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Ok, I believe that to be true. But if we all believe that to be true, we can't at the same time claim the original effect to be a jaw dropper.

Quote:
On Jan 26, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Because even though they do not know how you are doing it, they usually guess you must either be able to discern the color from the sound of it moving in the box, or the weight is somehow lopsided, or there is some hidden indicator they can’t see, or maybe you’re even sneaking a peek of it somehow. But the last phase cancels everything out and makes all of those ideas impossible leaving them truly fooled.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
MeetMagicMike
View Profile
Inner circle
Gainesville Fl
3504 Posts

Profile of MeetMagicMike
Quote:
...they usually guess...discern the color from the sound ...or the weight is somehow lopsided,...some hidden indicator they can’t see,...sneaking a peek of it

They are allowed to handle and inspect the box. They can shake it, listen to it, weigh it in their hand, look for secret openings. Those explanations are so eliminated that you can offer them as explanations and the spectator will assume you are joking.
Magic Mike

MeetMagicMike.com

I took the Pledge
KLMind
View Profile
New user
Seattle, WA
25 Posts

Profile of KLMind
Love the 5 sense routine. For the final phrase, introducing 6th sense with a billet and a CT to revealing a childhood friend/toy(placing torn pieces the box). It gets great reactions further canceling the method.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Platt, we shouldn't really be discussing 4K Color Vision here. This thread is for Mental Block and I'm afraid it may be confusing to some.

Quote:
Ok, I believe that to be true. But if we all believe that to be true, we can't at the same time claim the original effect to be a jaw dropper.

Quote:
On Jan 26, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1990 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
Is there some other technique taught on this download other than the behind-the-back method?
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4305 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2022, Kaliix wrote:
Is there some other technique taught on this download other than the behind-the-back method?

Yes. Behind the back is only done once. Dan teaches techniques with the hands in front of your body. It is very well made, a great and fun routine and Dan is a wonderful teacher.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
saturnkk
View Profile
Veteran user
Commerce Township, MI / Naples, FL
317 Posts

Profile of saturnkk
Quote:
On Feb 2, 2022, Kaliix wrote:

Tony the Tiger had an approach that was like Okito box technique on the Frosted Flakes box....
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On Jan 30, 2022, MeetMagicMike wrote:
Quote:
...they usually guess...discern the color from the sound ...or the weight is somehow lopsided,...some hidden indicator they can’t see,...sneaking a peek of it

They are allowed to handle and inspect the box. They can shake it, listen to it, weigh it in their hand, look for secret openings. Those explanations are so eliminated that you can offer them as explanations and the spectator will assume you are joking.

Doesn't this then make it a puzzle/challenge to the spec as opposed to something magical?? I think allowing them to overhandle or be grabby is different than being casual about it and no just handing it out for them. Audience management can make this a puzzle/challenge OR magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Mental Block by Dan Harlan (41 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL