The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Soft coins or slicks? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
SIX
View Profile
Inner circle
New York City
1772 Posts

Profile of SIX
I need worn coins. Is there a way that I can make coins worn so they stay silent and don't talk?
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Go to a coin shop and ask for the kind you want.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
Go to any coin show or coin shop and ask them for slicks. The will usually just give you a bunch of them (because they are usually worthless to a coin owner.) If they don't give them to you for free, they shouldn't charge you more than a few pennies each.

Dave
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Old worn coins are still made of silver, and have significant value above pennies per coin.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Randy Sager
View Profile
Elite user
409 Posts

Profile of Randy Sager
Old silver halfs can be bought at coin shops or shows for around $2 each or so and up. I have gone to coin shows and have been able to buy eight or more for about $20. A lot of the time the dealer will give you a discount on them if you are buying that many. I really doubt he will just give them to you.
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
I doubt it too and for the simple fact that the coins can be melted down and then crafted into whatever...even jewelery.

P.S. Soft coins is the term used by magicians...slicks are used by the collectors. Use the term slick please when speaking to them, it will make things easier for you.
Dave1216
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Dave1216
I have been to several coin shows and received dozens of "slicks" for free. Sometimes they are dirty, but all you need to do is bring them home and clean them up a bit.

Dave
My new DVD ("The magic of David Corsaro") is now available from your favorite dealer. Watch the DVD that Daryl, Jon Allen, Shawn Farquhar, Boris Wild, Marc DeSouza, Asi Wind and Paul Green ALL ENDORSE.

Visit www.timetobeawesome.com to watch the new weekly Video Blog for magicians, "Time to be awesome."
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Dave, please send me some of your free coins. I have to pay quite a bit for the ones I use. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
markyeager
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of markyeager
Todd Lassen told me that slicks in dollars are getting rarer. An Illinois coin dealer recently priced me 6.50 for slicks. Todd looks for matched sets. In the coins that I'm looking through. Matched coins are hard to find, matched sets even harder. I love the fact that his sets are hand picked, for looks as well as performing ease.
It's Fun to be Fooled
Richard Lucas
View Profile
Special user
TX fornow- MemberMagicCastle'65-'88
737 Posts

Profile of Richard Lucas
Can I have an opinion on which is best, the half dollars or dollars? A set of four with an Ex****** ***** is very pricey compared to the Kennedys.
"The only difference between a Card Cheat and a Magician is that the Magician shows off.".......... Jay Ose 1965

Dicklucas
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Some people are passionate that you should use the largest and most shiney coin possible. I say use what fits your hands and that you can manipulate best.

I use silver dollars for some effects, but in general I'm better off with halves. I also have some foreign coins that are in-between U.S. halves and silver dollars.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
How does one make new coins feel old (soft)?
~joeKing
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
There are a couple of threads on this, as the topic comes up every couple of months. There is a Café member, Kirk G, who is in California and will "soften" coins for you. His process leaves you with a coin that slides silently, looks worn, but has a sharp edge, provided the coin had a sharp edge to start with.

On the other hand, you could also purchase slicks, and have Todd Lassen re-edge them.

In the end, the result's the same.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with learning to handle "hard" coins silently, or "slick edge" coins with certainty. We're talking advantages here, not necessities.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
Any one ever try a rock tumbler?

I'm thinking about trying this, logically it would produce a more natural wear than grinding.

just a thought
Justin Hart
View Profile
Loyal user
Warsaw, VA
221 Posts

Profile of Justin Hart
I have thought of the tumbler idea personally, however, because of a coin's shape, you'll probably just smooth down the edges.

Never tried it because I ruled it out as a possibility. If you consider that a tumbler is just that...basically a pill shaped container right, well if you look at the shape there is in no way that if you sit a coin flat on the tumber that the surface will touch evenly over the coins face or back let alone hitting every spot of the coin during the tumble. If you try this and it works PLEASE let me know.

PS...Dave1216, why would you want to clean a soft coin? That dirt helps considerably to keep them sliding softly...and I'd like some of your free coins too. Is it easier if I PM you with my address? Thanks bud,
Frankm6
View Profile
Loyal user
299 Posts

Profile of Frankm6
My theory- In a tumbler the there would be several coins so they would land flat against each other approximating coins going through the ware and tear of circulation. I think it should work well. Please post your results.
Frank
waveman
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of waveman
I have a couple candidates for the tumbler. I figure it's worth a try.
I'll post my findings in a few days.

waveman
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
A tumbler is not used empty. There is usually a medium that is chosen based on the effect that you want. This is not the method I use to soften coins.

Kirk G
Mike Wild
View Profile
Inner circle
NY, PA, TX, MA, FL, NC
1290 Posts

Profile of Mike Wild
I'm the IT Manager for a metal fabrication shop (day jobs come in handy sometimes Smile) Anyway, I have access to a lot of industrial DNC machinery, and have tried a few of them to soften coins. I'll tell you that all things considered, unless you're a skilled craftsman, leave it to the pro's.

I've tried sand blasting - almost cut the coin in half

A grinder - disfigured and distorted the coin beyond any usefulness.

Metal Sander - not bad, but a real pain to get evenly ground down.

Some things that worked:

Press brake - to make coins for coin bend routines. Put's a 90 on the coin that you could set your watch to.

Strippit Punch - Makes Karate coins of professional quality.

You really need more jewelry grade machines to work with coins. Industrial strength is overkill.

Best,

Mike
<><>< SunDragon Magic ><><>

"Question Reality... Create Illusion"
Sirakor
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of Sirakor
Sand blasting - have mercy with that poor coin!

you could try sand paper, but as has been said a coin shop will be the easiest place to get them, especially if you are looking for silver coins.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Soft coins or slicks? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL