The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What are the advantages of learning mnemonica? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skossan
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Skossan
Hey guys!

I've been using the Si Stebbins stack for years and it's been alright. I've always known about Mnemonica but never learnt it off by heart.

My question is simply, should I switch? What are the advantages of switching or am I better of sticking to what I know? Smile
- Skossan
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1136 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2022, Skossan wrote:
Hey guys!

I've been using the Si Stebbins stack for years and it's been alright. I've always known about Mnemonica but never learnt it off by heart.

My question is simply, should I switch? What are the advantages of switching or am I better of sticking to what I know? Smile

Are you actually using Galasso/SiStebbins as your memorised deck as well? Or just for its properties?

If you haven't actually memorised it (that is assigned a number from 1 to 52 to each card and viceversa), you can use both Galasso/SiStebbins AND a memorised deck (which not necessarily needs to be Mnemonica) according to what you wish to perform on that occasion.

Let me know and we can continue the discussion if you wish
Mark
Skossan
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Skossan
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2022, mlippo wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys!

Are you actually using Galasso/SiStebbins as your memorised deck as well? Or just for its properties?

If you haven't actually memorised it (that is assigned a number from 1 to 52 to each card and viceversa), you can use both Galasso/SiStebbins AND a memorised deck (which not necessarily needs to be Mnemonica) according to what you wish to perform on that occasion.

Mark

Good point. I actually don't use any memorised deck. I only use si stebbins because it's easy to remember the chased order.
- Skossan
mlippo
View Profile
Inner circle
Trieste (Italy)
1136 Posts

Profile of mlippo
Quote:
Quote:
On Jan 25, 2022, mlippo wrote:
Quote:
Hey guys!

Mark

Good point. I actually don't use any memorised deck. I only use si stebbins because it's easy to remember the chased order.

Well, I use both Galasso/SiStebbins and Mnemonica.
And have NOT memorised the first one. But since it has fantastic properties I use it often. I just don't show it too much to the audience Smile

As you said, easy to use and you are spoilt for choice for tricks you can do with it and for finales (my favourite is Mating Season by Denis Behr!). But Up the Ante is another one. Or I do Neither Blind Nor Stupid by Tamariz and then Galaxy by Paul Harris ... Just some things I do with it. At that point destroying the stack is not an issue ...

What do you do with Galasso/SiStebbins?

As for a proper memorised deck, you have another world of stack dependent or stack independent tricks which can seem miracles to the audience.

Hope this convinces you in starting your journey in the MemDeck world ...

Mark
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
Hey guys!

There are at least TWO questions you need to consider, which you seem to have bundled together in your own mind -

1. Should you learn a MEMORISED STACK instead of sticking with the Stebbins system?
Anyone who has bothered to learn ANY stack will surely agree that the rewards amply justify the effort.

2. WHICH stack should you learn?
Mnemonica is just one of many out there. There are plenty of threads discussing their relative merits
chappy
View Profile
Special user
760 Posts

Profile of chappy
Skossan, this short article seems to speak to your questions, and you might find it helpful. https://moveunderfire.wixsite.com/aboutc......-a-stack
FARO FUNDAMENTALS, DETAILS OF DECEPTION and THE DEVIL'S STAIRCASE at www.thedevilsstaircase.com
MysteroMagic
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of MysteroMagic
I read somewhere that you should pick a card effect you like and then learn the stack that allows you to perform the effect. I should also tell you that I learned Mnemonica and am now looking for effects that perform with Mnemonica.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Shuffled not Stirred » » What are the advantages of learning mnemonica? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL