The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cold Reading (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dluong
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of dluong
Hi all,
I've been working with cards and coins for a while now and now I want to get into something new. I've decided to read up on mentalism and while researching I also read a lot on cold reading.

I have three questions: (sorry if these questions are stupid or ignorant)

1) Whats the difference between cold reading and mentalism?

2) Can cold reading be done on just one person at a time, can I also do it to a group of 2-6 people also? or do I have to do it on stage with a big audience?

3) What are the best recommended ebooks, dvds, books, or videos that I can get on the subject of coldreading to boost me from a totally clueless beginner in cold reading to an intermediate cold reading student?

I found an ebook for sale on http://www.trickshop.com/tradecraft_cold_reading_book.html for a book caled "tradecraft" its a book about cold reading...can anyone recommend that as a good start? or any better books?
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Quote:
I have three questions: (sorry if these questions are stupid or ignorant)

1) Whats the difference between cold reading and mentalism?

2) Can cold reading be done on just one person at a time, can I also do it to a group of 2-6 people also? or do I have to do it on stage with a big audience?

3) What are the best recommended ebooks, dvds, books, or videos that I can get on the subject of coldreading to boost me from a totally clueless beginner in cold reading to an intermediate cold reading student?
Here are some answers:

1) Cold reading can be considered a technique used in mentalism, but mentalism is effects themed on the powers of the mind (This is very vague, check the mentalism form to hear the entire paradigm) Cold reading being able to tell personal information about a person without any physical help (notes, cards being selected, direct questions, etc).

2) Cold reading can be done for any number of people, though you are always dealing with reading one person at a time. The most effective readings, in my opinion, are one-on-one, but watch John Edwards show "Crossing Over" for a good example of how cold reading can be done for a large audience.

3) I have the e-book mentioned above and it is very good. My favorite beginning cold reading material is Richard Webster's "Comercial Cold Reading" and "Further Comercial Cold Reading." These are audio recordings and give you a great feeling for what cold reading is all about. Any of Richard Webster's material is great. Ian Rowling's Book is very good, but not the best place to start. Finally, Herb Dewey is the master! His books are hard to find (I have only 2), but they can be considered the source material for cold reading.

Good luck to you.
PM me if you have any other questions,

Richard
astoundingbruce
View Profile
Regular user
Burlington, WI (USA)
127 Posts

Profile of astoundingbruce
Cold reading is done with (to?) a person whom you haven't met before; hence, it is cold.
“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
I believe there's a substantial discussion in the "A Penny for your thoughts" Section.

Other Sources for Cold Reading would include
Kenton's Completely cold, Readings for the Magician
Brad Hendersons' The Dance (Brillant book by the way)

I'm sure there's tons more... but I only how the above few besides those already mentioned.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Is Cold Reading the technique that Sylvia Brown uses in her "act"? I am pretty ignorant on what cold reading is and is not.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
462 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Well, I'm sure Sylvia Brown would deny that she uses cold reading...

Cold reading is a collection of techniques designed to allow the performer (the reader) appear to have mystical or paranormal insights into the participant (sitter), either past, present, future, or some combination thereof. Cold reading is frequently performed with props from "traditional" divination methods, such as astrology, Tarot, runes, palm lines, crystal balls.
:carrot:
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Thanks Rgranville. That clears it up for me.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Ian Rowling??? not to be confused with J K Rowling of Harry potter fame!!!
its Ian Rowland.

Richard.
I have Ians book and Richards Palm Reading for Beginners which is very useful.Also Idiots guide to Tarot. I keep wondering about Richards Commercial Cold Reading cds.are they really that good?

Howard
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Oops! Smile Though I do think Harry Potter is much better written Smile

I really like the Comercial Cold Reading tapes. Volume 1 covers the basics and Volume 2 has some interesting idea (He tells the story of a banana skin reader, for example). I think they are best for people at a beginning level. I have a lot of trouble keeping things simple, for example, and these tapes are solid examples of good cold reading. For me, it just really helps to hear this technique in action.

By the way, do you have the lay audience palm reading book or is it for magicians? I had a copy of a palm reading book by Richard for lay audience and it was loaded with great stuff!
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Its the one for lay people..Palm reading for Beginners,
I got it from amazon.I find it very interesting and would recommend it to anyone interested in finding out about the art.

Howard
Dr_Stephen_Midnight
View Profile
Inner circle
SW Ohio, USA
1555 Posts

Profile of Dr_Stephen_Midnight
If Sylvia Brown uses Cold Reading, she may or may not be fully aware of it.

My wife, Andrea, is a tarot reader who is what I call a 'natural.' That is, she cold reads people instinctively, having observed and studied people in minute detail all her life (she has a deductive mind that would scare Sherlock Holmes). She was never aware she was cold reading, or even knew what cold reading was, until she met and married me.

Steve
Dr. Lao: "Do you know what wisdom is?"
Mike: "No."
Dr. Lao: "Wise answer."
Clifford the Red
View Profile
Inner circle
LA, California
1935 Posts

Profile of Clifford the Red
Watch Penn & Teller's Showtime series "Bullsh*t" for an excellent discussion on readings such as Sylvia Brown or John Edwards (no he doesn't talk with the dead). I love the series!
"The universe is full of magical things, waiting for our wits to grow sharper." Eden Philpotts
trainspotter
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of trainspotter
I personaly enjoyed reading Ian Rowland's Fool facts book of cold reading. I think it's one of the best books on the subject.

Click here!
Hypnotic Winter
View Profile
Special user
Ireland
720 Posts

Profile of Hypnotic Winter
I was and still ama natural cold reader, when I was 18 I learned tarot card and believed in them then I learned hypnosis and all about the subconscious, when I finally turd mentalist I bought some cold readin book and could swear I had written them. I know I was using cold reading with out knowing havinf studied radio psychics, or should I say cold readers.
When I was doing Tarot I don't think I wanted to know I was actually doing cold reading, but on a subconscious level I knew full well, I have a very logical mind.
James Randi challenged, Sylvia Brown after she stated publicly she would take his tests, you can find it on his site, she has totally avoided the tests even though Randi has made every effort to accomidate her even changeing some of his test condidtions to do with the reward money which she would recieve upon sucsussfully completeing his challenge. She has avoided the tests and responses to Randi like wild fire , to me proveing she know's she is awair she's a cold reader.
When your only reality is an illusion, then illusion is reality.
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
My understanding was at the heart of cold readings a set of , well specific generalities (yes the oxymoron is not lost on me) Plus instinct, a few well placed "canned" lines keen observation and listening to things said , not said and body language. Most sitters take a reading as "real" no matter what we present it as, usually entertainment for legal reasons, and so do not associate readers with magicians. Many do it for different reasons but IMHO most male readers are magicians/mentalists doing readings with this fabricated background and most female readers are shuteyes. I do readings and have shows to get exposure. My shows went from mentalist acts to lecture style on tarot in psi parties or corporate events, art shows or peoples parties in home. Gradually I eliminated mentalist trickery from my repertoire and do straight ungaffed lectures and readings. Your own ethical stance on this is entirely yours, but in other posts I have listed my beginning sources, esp. Lee Earles The Gentle Art of Cold Reading. Also look for Red Hot Cold Readings Dewy and Sevill
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Cold Reading (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL