We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » 3D Printing (12 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Magic Kitt
View Profile
New user
Manchester UK
1 Post

Profile of Magic Kitt
Hello folks, just wondered if anyone else has, like me, been experimenting making magic props on a 3D printer?

I've already printed what I like to think of as my "ludicrously big Prayer Vase" - the classic workings of the cheap red plastic one but in the shape of a large Chinese style open necked vase probably a foot and a half tall. And am working on an Attaboy based on the drawings in the Jack Hughes World of Magic series.

There must surely be an awful lot of old effects that can be remade/updated these days
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
2135 Posts

Profile of David Todd
Quote:
On Feb 1, 2022, Magic Kitt wrote:

There must surely be an awful lot of old effects that can be remade/updated these days

Indeed, yes !

I don't have a 3D printer yet , but would like to get one for the express purpose of fabricating props that are not commonly available.

For example, I've been looking for plastic (or light metal) "lazy tongs" (aka "concertina tongs/ember tongs") . The plastic kind used to be commonly available in toy stores and in magic shops when I was growing up in the 1970's. I can still recall seeing them available into the late 1980's. I don't see them available any more. I've seen metal ember tongs listed on antique websites, but those go in the $120 - $200 range , which is out of my price range.

In searching for plastic versions I found these available for 3D printing:

https://3dmixers.com/m/125527-lazy-tong

https://cults3d.com/en/3d-model/game/grab-toy

Here is a metal version of the tongs. These were made to be used to pick up and move hot embers from a fire.
It has magical applications as a secret device (concealed under a cloth) to pick up and move objects unseen).

The top image of the lazy tongs with the black rubber tips was actually a device marketed as a "reacher" to assist injured or elderly persons to be able to pick up objects from the floor or off a shelf without bending down or standing up. The other two images are ember tongs.

I recently came across a funny card revelation gag that Karrell Fox suggested in his book "Much Ado About Something" (published 1995) which uses a set of these tongs to reveal a spectator's chosen card in a humorous manner. Writing in 1995, Fox said: "Most magic and novelty shops sell a large set of 'Lazy Tongs' . They have handles that look like the handles of scissors , and when you squeeze them together the tongs extend almost 2 feet." In 1995 those type of lazy tongs may have still been for sale in "most magic and novelty shops" (I don't remember because 1995 was a time when I was busy with other creative work and not involved much with magic at all), but today I can't find them listed by any online magic dealers. Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. Anyway, I think that card revelation gag is funny.

George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
2985 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
I bought a very small 3D printer a few years ago, thinking in terms of making "internals" for props rather than printing the whole prop. For instance, I was working on a production screen and couldn't find just the right "secret" hinges for it, so I designed exactly what I wanted. This way I could make nice pieces out of hardwood but not have to machine the internals on a mill or settle for something that already existed.

Never got around to designing manipulation "helpers," but one of these days I may move that from the back burner to the front one.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
117 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
I just printed the giant golf ball climax for multiplying golf balls. It's 5" in diameter and it worked great. Fakini used to sell a bank, but I didn't get one before he went out of business. I've looked everywhere for one but couldn't find the right size. I think I need to explore this new avenue even more.

Bruce
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
63 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, bkmeyer wrote:
I just printed the giant golf ball climax for multiplying golf balls. It's 5" in diameter and it worked great. Fakini used to sell a bank, but I didn't get one before he went out of business. I've looked everywhere for one but couldn't find the right size. I think I need to explore this new avenue even more.

Bruce

I don't know anything about the 3D printing, but this sounds fascinating. What model of 3D printer do you have ? How long does it take to print an item such as the ball you have printed ?
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
117 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Jean, sorry to be so slow getting back to you on your question. I don't own my own printer so I had it printed through a service. There are online sources that provide fee based services and you might find a service locally. They generally are not expensive so you can shop around. I'm not proficient in the design so I had a friend help me with that also. I hope to learn more about the process. I think the possibilities are endless.

Bruce
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
63 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Quote:
On Mar 14, 2022, bkmeyer wrote:
Jean, sorry to be so slow getting back to you on your question. I don't own my own printer so I had it printed through a service. There are online sources that provide fee based services and you might find a service locally. They generally are not expensive so you can shop around. I'm not proficient in the design so I had a friend help me with that also. I hope to learn more about the process. I think the possibilities are endless.

Bruce

Thank you. This is good information to know.

If I may ask, what does it cost to have an online service make a 3D printing of something like you mentioned , the large Golf Ball climax or similar size object (I think the large Golf ball is about 12.7cm , yes? ) I am excited to think about many small gimmicks and props that could be made this way. I am even more glad to know that I could have someone else do it for me before investing in purchasing a 3D printer myself. I wonder if there is a 3D printing service specializing in 3D printing service for magicians ?

bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
117 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
Jean,

I'm not sure about the average online service. You'll need to price those based on your project. The service I used was local and very affordable. I don't think online services are very expensive because the filament isn't that expensive. Yes, the golf ball is 12.7 cm in diameter. What I need to work on is how to design parts. I think the possibilities are endless. Happy printing.

Bruce
Jean André
View Profile
New user
Metz
63 Posts

Profile of Jean André
Thank you , Bkmeyer . I contacted an online 3D printing service. They said they could print the large Golf Ball prop in resin material .
They asked if I have a 3D model or if not they will design it for me (that costs additional of course).

When you had yours printed did they design the model for you or did you already have one you sent to them ? I found a few free 3D models of golf balls ,but they are for regular size golf balls. I'm assuming the dimensions could simply be enlarged x3 to get a golf ball approximately 12.7cm / 5" inches diameter.
bkmeyer
View Profile
Regular user
Greenville, SC
117 Posts

Profile of bkmeyer
I had a model that I tried to enlarge, but it didn't work right. I'll PM the model to you. Hope this helps you, Jean.

Bruce
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
711 Posts

Profile of Bill08
I've had good results with a company called Fablab. It's important to shop around for the right 3D printing company because there is a large variation in the specialized services offered and the difference in prices quoted can be significant. The 'Tinkercad' software is worth checking out if you like to design your own parts
https://www.magicaldevices1.com THE MAGICAL DEVICES WEBSITE IS CLOSING SOON
Bill08
View Profile
Special user
Montreal
711 Posts

Profile of Bill08
Here is the link to Fablab https://fablabinc.com/en They let you upload your STL file on the website to provide an instant quote. I've only gone with the basic material, I think its called ABS plastic, similar to Lego. There was also a harder material they recommended called 'resin' but it turned out to be too hard to mold or sand
https://www.magicaldevices1.com THE MAGICAL DEVICES WEBSITE IS CLOSING SOON
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » 3D Printing (12 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL