The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (727 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..30..35..40..45..50..51~52~53 [Next]
viler
View Profile
Regular user
Norway
185 Posts

Profile of viler
Quote:
On Feb 9, 2022, Marc Edgar wrote:
Craig mentions a new card index coming out through Murphy's. Anyone know when this is scheduled to be released?

I'm also curious about this.
And how does it compare to Indexed by Mirrah Miraculous?
kiketron
View Profile
Loyal user
257 Posts

Profile of kiketron
I want to thank Craig Petty for the incredible amount of content, ideas, forces and techniques he teaches in his 5 hour explanations video. They are not new of course, but he makes the effort to overview this easy techniques in case you are new into card magic ( not my case ) so that’s remarkable.
I don’t mind if this principle has been used before, but I’ve never seen this used before at least in this way;
I am glad I purchase quantum deck.
Step into the unknown
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
283 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Has anyone seen the Luke Dancy video about The Quantum Deck that Craig has called out on Insta?
trickyat86
View Profile
Elite user
Pittsburgh, PA
461 Posts

Profile of trickyat86
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, dirtyfoucault wrote:
Has anyone seen the Luke Dancy video about The Quantum Deck that Craig has called out on Insta?

It's on Luke's All Things Magic group on facebook.
If you think rocking a glitter vest or card print tie looks good, safe to assume our views on magic differ.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
283 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, trickyat86 wrote:
Quote:

It's on Luke's All Things Magic group on facebook.

Ok, just watched it. Their problem seems to be that the trailer is 'deceptive' because the deck can't be examined. So they've clearly not done the basic research or even read through this forum as, as Craig has proved with numerous performance videos, it quite clearly can. And even by magicians (with a few caveats).

They also argue the ad copy comparing this to Sven, Invisible, Stripper etc is unreasonable because those are £10 decks whereas this is £35. So they haven't even understood the value this brings by combining certain principles to a new and stunning effect.

If ever there were proof that Luke Dancy shouldn't be listened to it's that video. The guy comes across as a complete idiot to anyone who understands what this project is all about. I won't trust a word he ever says after that. No doubt professional jealousy at play

Anyway, can't wait for Craig's response.
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of Winnes
No, they argue that a massive point is made in the trailers and marketing that the magicians who were watching the effect over Zoom could examine everything and find nothing. Which is not correct.

It doesn't matter if a magician find something fishy btw, but I don't think anyone could argue that a lot of the marketing and hype wasn't built on that.

I still think this looks like a great release and looking forward to getting my hands on the deck, but I think the criticism seems fair..
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
283 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Quote:
On Feb 10, 2022, Winnes wrote:
No, they argue that a massive point is made in the trailers and marketing that the magicians who were watching the effect over Zoom could examine everything and find nothing. Which is not correct.

It doesn't matter if a magician find something fishy btw, but I don't think anyone could argue that a lot of the marketing and hype wasn't built on that.

I still think this looks like a great release and looking forward to getting my hands on the deck, but I think the criticism seems fair..

Craig has performed this to magicians and they've handled the deck, finding nothing. There are videos of this in the 5 hours of material provided with the project.

Dancy and the other guy don't seem to have actually handled the deck themselves so I'm not sure how they can judge it fairly?

To suggest it should be priced similarly to a Sven deck misses the clever thinking Craig has brought to the community here. It's a utility deck using a pretty much brand new principle that comes with an abundance of supporting material.

Personally think it's excellent value all around, especially compared with most of the ****e Murphy's release on a weekly basis.
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Quote:

Craig has performed this to magicians and they've handled the deck, finding nothing. There are videos of this in the 5 hours of material provided with the project.

Could the magicians in the trailer, like Adam Wilber, thoroughly examine the deck - used in that specific performance to them - without finding anything?
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Yes is the answer Gaz 😊
Penn and Teller get fooled regularly with the most basic of stuff imo 😊
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
283 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Quote:
Quote:

Could the magicians in the trailer, like Adam Wilber, thoroughly examine the deck - used in that specific performance to them - without finding anything?

That's a question for Craig really. But performing over Zoom you may well use a different configuration of the deck as you know nobody is going to be able to touch it. If you were performing in person you might choose to use the adapted 'magician fooler' version.
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1586 Posts

Profile of Darkness
Fortunately (or unfortunately), not all magicians have the same experience and expertise. Some "may" find out "part of the secret" when they handle it and others "likely" may have no clue (I've watched the videos).

It's probably fair to say that generalizing is a slippery slope and should be avoided. It "might" make more sense to adjust the claim by using careful language to not paint yourself in a corner? We have the tendency to boast we are experts at scripting around challenges except when it comes to ad copy claims (let's call it being overzealous?).

I "personally" don't see this issue as a problem. The intent of this purchase is to fool laypeople "primary" not "some" magicians that "might" spot "part" of the workings if you handed the deck to them. You still "may not" have the entire method so this is a moot argument "imo". (see how I cover myself yet make a "claim"?)

The lesson "might be" don't generalize and put all magicians in the same boat. People will jump down your throat, and not just because they are not nice or have nothing better to do. You can say what someone else might know or spot until they are given the opportunity. It's not for us to say.
THE DRUID ESP - LATEST RELEASE
HTTP://MRDARKNESS.COM/DRUID
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

That's a question for Craig really. But performing over Zoom you may well use a different configuration of the deck as you know nobody is going to be able to touch it. If you were performing in person you might choose to use the adapted 'magician fooler' version.

No, that’s the whole point - if the deck used, and the way it was performed on those Zoom performances was with a deck that could not be thoroughly examined then it isn’t unfair to claim it was misleading
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3857 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I think the statement “if you were here you could examine the deck” is perfectly fine if the deck can be configured in a way that a magician can examine it. It matters little whether the deck used on zoom can be examined by a magician as long as the effect looks identical with both configurations. I told Gaz that he can park outside my house next Wednesday. Now when I made this statement he couldn’t have parked in the slot at that moment because there wasn’t a free space. However that statement was not misleading because if he was coming up my road at the time I could have made some room for him. It is a reasonable assumption that if Adam was there Craig would have had the deck configured for magicians and Adam would indeed be able to examine it.

As far as the price, sure I might be able to pick up a cheap Sven deck for a tenner. On the other hand I have paid £30 for a good quality ID. The price for this is cheap if you are going to use it. Very cheap if you are going to gig with it. Personally I will be getting several because this is something I will most definitely use, particularly as a forcing deck.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of Winnes
This is actually getting ridiculous. To be clear, I think it looks great and couldn’t really care less if a magician can examine it or not. I also get that there is configurations that could be used where nothing would be found. But, to have pretty much your whole marketing around the zoom performances where it is explicitly stated that everything could be examined - based on that performance, not a hypothetical, alternative performance - when it’s pretty clear a magician would find *something* is fair game to get called out.
Rory111
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Rory111
Whether or not the deck is completely examinable by magicians has many of you debating the ad claim... Some of you make assumptions and try to present them as facts when you haven't seen the tutorials or handled the deck. If you don't see the value and believe the claim untrue... then don't buy it.

But all the haters, gonna hate. While you're hating and waiting for the next run of these, the ones of us that did purchase will be knocking people's socks off instead of circle-jerking with a bunch of magicians trying to fool each other and hating on creators and each other on the Café.

The incredible instruction tutorials for this deck are worth the $40 USD!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3857 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I really couldn’t care less whether a magician can examine it. I have seen enough footage to demonstrate that a layman can indeed examine it without finding anything. 90% of the marketed material I use magicians don’t even need to examine because they will recognise the particular product or gaff. Celebrity
Pressage would take a magician seconds to find the secret although most magicians would instantly recognise the book and wouldn’t need to examine it. If I were to ask someone to pick an item from a list in my notes 99.999% of magicians will instantly think DFB.

Does that stop me getting a massive amount of value out of those effects or the others I use that wouldn’t fool a blindfolded magician after 12 pints of Stella on an empty stomach. Sure I have the odd magician fooler for a bit of fun at conventions but not a single one of those are available in magic shops or a feature of my working sets.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Winnes
View Profile
Elite user
418 Posts

Profile of Winnes
Agreed 100%, but totally valid to get called out when you market a product in the way it was.
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
156 Posts

Profile of rbromley
He states that these cards are genuinely double-sided blank cards, which they are. He says they could examine the deck, which they can. He also suggests a variation of the deck for people that for some reason want to do this for another magician and then hand them the deck afterwards. Even when examining the standard set up for this, anyone will be hard pressed to guess what exactly was done to get the card to the position they named. Unless they are already in the know, obviously.

The value of this project is for the knowledge and tutorial provided by Craig in his very meticulous tutorial videos for this project. People complain they can get a deck like this for less, but that deck does not come with the principles and method created here. Craig even tells you how to maintain this deck and how to make your own, for those that don't know how.

It's a well done and thought out project, I believe.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3857 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Quote:
Agreed 100%, but totally valid to get called out when you market a product in the way it was.

I think it is valid to be called out if it is not possible to let a magician examine the deck. However the instructions cover how to configure the deck to be examinable by magicians and there is footage of Craig performing it for magicians at a lecture and the deck is examined and nothing found. Based on that it appears that Craigs statement to a magician that “If you were here you could examine the deck” is perfectly reasonable.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2795 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Can someone link me to a Svengali deck that comes with five hours of tutorials and presentation ideas? If not, complaining about the price point is ridiculous.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (727 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..30..35..40..45..50..51~52~53 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL