The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (737 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34..38..41..44..47..50..51~52~53 [Next]
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
700 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
The main moral of this thread seems to be: every performer (and audience to some extent) is different and rightly makes different performance choices based on who they are and the situations they find themselves in.

Trying to assess something like Quantum in a general 'one-size-fits-all' way is part of the problem.

The issue of examinability isn't really even about Quantum. It's a more general issue about what's right for you and the decisions you make as a performer. (It might not make sense to let spectators see cards if, for example, your persona is high status and letting them do so might risk denting this impression).
maklakmak
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of maklakmak
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
My posts get removed for no reason? Gaz.😊

Funny you should say that, one of mine (quite non controversial) vanished yesterday as did someone else's which immediately preceded it it.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6750 Posts

Profile of videoman
It’s funny that about every 5 pages the posts and opinions just begin repeating themselves all over again as newcomers join in the mix.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
700 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, videoman wrote:
It’s funny that about every 5 pages the posts and opinions just begin repeating themselves all over again as newcomers join in the mix.

Isn't that all of magic in a nutshell?
martydoesmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1670 Posts

Profile of martydoesmagic
Quote:
Any particular work of Eric Mead that you would recommend on this topic?

His book Tangled Web. Some of his online videos also touch on his theoretical approach. This one is a good starting point:

Getting this back on track, I think the emphasis on the cards being examinable was justifiable in the case of QD because it does, at least in my view, enhance the overall effect.
DaphneFairfax
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of DaphneFairfax
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, Kong wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, DaphneFairfax wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, Kong wrote:
Quote:

To criticize the new effect by Craig (a friend?), when his employer is releasing a trick with him and when Craig is giving the store he works in, an award shows a complete lack of respect to both.

I'm certain anyone else in his position would have the sense to say something nice or tell people to wait for the release and keep their worthless personal opinion to themselves.

It sounds like you're saying that magic companies and reviewers shouldn't give honest criticism when reviewing products sold by their friends and acquaintances.

How on earth is that good for the industry?

It is a small world. All reviewers pull their punches at times.

So why all the fuss about "honest reviews"? They are either honest or they are not - there is no in-between.

My point is no review show is 100% honest 100% of the time because they have skin in the game or show respect to friends.
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5991 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
See you at Blackpool Gaz.😊
timtam
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of timtam
Quote:
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, tenchu wrote:
Quote:
So having those in a deck which is not Craig's method with Quantum goes to prove a layman will never ever notice anything.

Umm...

Mike

Meaning what? Regards Gaz.😊

Meaning it means nothing as its not a proper test.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Special user
587 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, timtam wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
So having those in a deck which is not Craig's method with Quantum goes to prove a layman will never ever notice anything.

Umm...

Mike

Meaning what? Regards Gaz.😊

Meaning it means nothing as its not a proper test.

Still no idea what you're on about
Kong
View Profile
Regular user
Cymru
149 Posts

Profile of Kong
Quote:
My point is no review show is 100% honest 100% of the time because they have skin in the game or show respect to friends.

If nepotism creeps in causing retailers such as Propdog to go easy on creators then punters will lose faith and walk away. It would be extremely bad for the industry.

Look, Alex (from Propdog) praised the trick. He only raised ONE criticism in an extremely polite and mature way. He didn't rant and rave or scream and shout - he simply raised ONE issue he had with the trailer, and the fact that he felt so reluctant to even do that shows you how unhealthy the situation is. I've seen other creators cop far more flack in "honest reviews" and "honest trailer" type videos and they seem to be able to handle it like grownups. Should it be one rule for some and a different rule for others?
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
Quote:

Umm...

Mike

Close enough but I knew this already. The QD is the type of effect that won't draw CLOSE ENOUGH scrutiny of the cards.
Smile
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Could ten more people quote long *** replies without editing them shorter, please? Thank You! Smile Quoting two double *** long replies is a bonus! 😆
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Craig, you have made one of the greatest come backs in magic for someone who has at one time "left magic" so to speak. You are brilliant, mate! CONGRATULATIONS on Quantum Deck and keep pouring out the great magic and viewable content like taps in a tavern. 👍
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, tomdeg wrote:
All this about examining the cards? Unless it's actually part of the routine, I NEVER let them handle my props. WHY? I've rarely been challenged, "Let me see those cards/coins, etc.".

I bet you take advantage of moving along and keep the magic come'n! 👍

Funny thing is that a major force of entertainment comes from us NOT proving anything to our audience and let them continue to think and guess and second guess. 😆👍
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
1855 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, martyjacobs wrote:
For certain tricks, the effect is greatly enhanced if you encourage people to look closely at your props. I think the QD falls into this category because the most obvious solution to a layperson is that more than one printed card is hidden somewhere in the deck. Allowing them to inspect the deck eliminates this as a possible solution, thus making the effect more impossible.

No, that's thinking like a beginner magician who hasn't become confident in his performance. 😉
If you are letting them handle the cards as part of the effect then that is good but taking a time out so that they can inspect the cards is a waste of some great performance time. Unless you are using it as a distraction to ring in a new prop, etc. 👍
BathTub
View Profile
Regular user
Wellington, NZ
102 Posts

Profile of BathTub
I ordered from Penguin only a couple days ago, but I did message and ask if they had any left, and just got notice today that my shipping label was made. So fingers crossed.
Nigel McNaughton aka 'BathTub'
DocBenWiz
View Profile
Special user
Meridian, Idaho
991 Posts

Profile of DocBenWiz
Quote:
On Feb 13, 2022, tomdeg wrote:
All this about examining the cards? Unless it's actually part of the routine, I NEVER let them handle my props. WHY? I've rarely been challenged, "Let me see those cards/coins, etc.".

Exactly....how many of you stuff the little hanky in your fist,...show it vanished,...then say and offer..."Here check my thumbs!"....Imho....90% of this entire thread has been a wasteful self- mastur!$@[!*n...negative and meaningless!
Congrats to Craig and thanks for all his creative efforts!!
Smile Smile
"Pay no attention to that strange man behind the curtain" (it's only "Doc Benjamin from the Amazing Wizardelia Wagon")
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 14, 2022, EZrhythm wrote:
Could ten more people quote long *** replies without editing them shorter, please? Thank You! Smile Quoting two double *** long replies is a bonus! 😆

Exactly. Doric got the message so hopefully others will too. Those replies deserve to be deleted imo.

EDIT QUOTES BEFORE POSTING. THANKS.
juggler357
View Profile
New user
AUS
83 Posts

Profile of juggler357
I love coming onto the Magic Café to find other magicians' ideas and thoughts. What I don't like is the negativity that rises so quickly. It would be good to consider the mental health and well-being of creators and guests in the Café so that it is a safe place for all the artists. A few lines of text can destroy someone's state. Ironically some of the people who make a living or hobby out of deceiving people are upset that a magic trailer deceived them.
Once is entertainment, twice is education.
darrylrose
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of darrylrose
This is a great effect. Direct and magical. Performance and audience control is the key…well done Craig.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (737 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..9..15..21..27..30~31~32~33~34..38..41..44..47..50..51~52~53 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL