The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (737 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..41~42~43~44~45..51~52~53 [Next]
k3nnyma
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of k3nnyma
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2022, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 18, 2022, k3nnyma wrote:
This seems really fantastic. I have a small doubt whether spectator see this as great as magicians do…

I was in Dean Dill's shop one day when he told me a story about a magician (I've forgotten who it was, though others may know) who was performing Dean's Blizzard for a prince from the Middle East. If you don't know the effect, it results in all blank cards aside from the card the spectator has named. It's neither a CAAN nor an ACAAN, but it's still an incredibly strong effect.

When the performer had the table filled with blank cards and just the one face-down card was left, the prince said, "if that's my card, I'll buy you a brand new car of your choosing." The performer flipped the card over, and sure enough there it was.

He packed up and was leaving the house when someone who worked for the family came out and handed him a bag filled with cash. The prince made good on his promise because of the strength of that moment.

With Quantum Deck, not only can you end with just a named card in the deck while the rest of the cards are blank, you find that card at the exact spot that's named. So with the right presentation, I think this can play for audiences in a big way.

Nice story, thanks for sharing
Would be nice if it can be spectator naming the card as you suggested
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Special user
508 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
The fact that every magic distributor has sold out is a good sign in my mind. I told a friend about it and she says she’s interested. Unfortunately she will have to wait til late March. Well worth the wait imo
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
6748 Posts

Profile of videoman
Just want to point out that saying your QD works perfectly straight out of the box only means it will “probably” work fine for most people. But it’s a bit like saying that one size fits all when what that actually means is that it will fit MOST.

I have done as Craig suggested and tried everything he mentioned many times to try and break it in, but unfortunately it still feels like the cards are glued to my bone dry fingers, and I prefer not to have to lick my fingers to moisten them every 2 or 3 cards.

But I do not blame Craig or Murphy's Magic because I realize that I am an outlier. This has been true for me with every deck of this type my entire magic life so I am used to having to make my own decks. For 25 years I could not perform the ID until I finally learned/discovered how to make my own.

As such my purchased deck is unusable for me but I do love Craig’s effect and different ideas on using it enough that I do not mind at all making my own. I keep everything necessary on hand anyway. I even have have a few blank decks in my chest of drawers devoted to decks of all kinds.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I received my QD yesterday and I do love it. I've been practicing it today to get it down smooth. I've already watched the video and Craig has some really nice uses with the
QD. I'm not usually a card guy but I do like this one.
Allen
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
I think the deck might be temperature sensitive?
When it arrived it was cold and didn't work at all.
When it warmed up to room temp it was fine.
Will see in the summer outside if it has issues.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2022, Darkness wrote:

I’m surprised actually that it wasn’t mentioned in the tutorial that this is a summer only effect due to temperature sensitivities. Can’t wait until the summer solstice.
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
One noticeable thing upon receiving my two decks is the strong chemical smell. Whoa.
But letting them sit out it will eventually disperse from the cards.
Of course smelling that chem smell you know your cards got treated well.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2022, pegasus wrote:
Quote:

I’m surprised actually that it wasn’t mentioned in the tutorial that this is a summer only effect due to temperature sensitivities. Can’t wait until the summer solstice.

I'd also like to mention that when my mailman delivered this, the tires on his truck tires looked a little low on air - does Murphys care to respond to this? unacceptable!
Darkness
View Profile
Inner circle
1626 Posts

Profile of Darkness
You guys are clearly not entertainers lol
The difference is I wasn't kidding when the cards are cold they stuck together.
You wont be laughing when potentially the heat messes with them and cause them to be unusable.
You do know the method right? How is that a stretch? I guess it went right over your heads or you really do think you’re funny.
My guess is it went over your heads.
THE SUPERNATURAL ILLUSIONIST & EFFECTS CREATOR WWW.MRDARKNESS.COM
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
I've heard it works best in the central plains with a dew point of 74 or below. Obviously that's all relative to the lunar cycle.

Quote:
You wont be laughing when potentially the heat messes with them and cause them to be unusable.
You do know the method right? How is that a stretch? I guess it went right over your heads or you really do think you’re funny.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
geggy
View Profile
Elite user
Brighton UK
485 Posts

Profile of geggy
Wasn't planning on storing mine in the fridge, so hopefully will be ok🤦‍♂️
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I live in the deep south of the U.S and it does get very humid down here so cards get warped pretty fast down here.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:

They are joshing a bit.

Not a stretch to consider environment. Around here we have to keep our decks in spring clips to keep them from puffing from humidity in summer. Never had an issue outside of that and we run from well below freezing to above 100 F. But will keep an eye on it.
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
The only downfall to the deck is they will get dingy fairly quickly if you use it regular.
rbromley
View Profile
Regular user
USA
175 Posts

Profile of rbromley
Loving all the people discussing chemicals and other things that expose the deck. Great job!

I received two of mine today. I live in a cold area, they work just fine. If you haven't used this type of deck before, you will get used to it and how it works.
I feel the money I paid is more for the method and tutorial videos. The deck can be replaced easily and Craig tells you how to make one, if you have not done this before.
dman11
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1068 Posts

Profile of dman11
Quote:

I do know the method, I bought it as well. Its an in*****le deck....I've never had problems performing with it...Though, I admit - I never did perform it in a supermarket freezer or blizzard conditions Smile

Just having a bit of fun. You should ne ok, I have performed in*****le deck outside in summertime heat though with no issue.
The_March_Hare
View Profile
Regular user
125 Posts

Profile of The_March_Hare
Review:

I will get right to it from the beginning, is this deck examinable by laymen and magicians without them figuring out the method? No... absolutely not! I know one way of constructing the deck and the gimmick that probably would but not the way that Craig and Murphy's did it. Therefore, the advertising is dishonest when they say that it could be examined by laymen and magicians.

Now I know what his response will be, "if you are a seasoned performer, people shouldn't ask to examine the deck..." and that is true, except that Craig and Murphy's said in the ad copy that it could be examined. In fact, when Adam Wilber asked, "could I examine the deck..." and Craig said that if he were there in person, he could examine the deck. This implies that he wouldn't find out the method, but for someone as knowledgeable as Adam, he would easily figure it out in about 10 seconds.

Onto the next one...

When I first watched the trailer, it fooled me... particularly when he said that the deck could be examined. However, after ordering and thinking about it for a few hours, I recognized one particular move in the trailer that reminded me of another ACAAN, which will remain nameless, but Adam should be familiar with, and I figured it out. When it arrived, it was what I thought that it was.

Out of respect for Craig Petty, I have gone through great lengths in trying not to tip the method.

As for the product itself, it is a great product, so that is what pains me about the ad copy being dishonest. I LOVE THE IDEA of a participant thinking about a playing card, having the participant think of a number, then dealing down to that number and the thought of playing card is at that location. It will ABSOLUTELY fly past every layman on the planet.

For people wondering about how to get the participant to choose the card placed in the deck, see Peter Turner's penguin lecture or some of his other work on this stuff. I'm not going to say much else...

Due to the misleading ad copy and how critical Craig Petty used to be about other magicians with misleading ad copies, I was going to give it 3 out of 5 stars but I went with 4 stars because it is a great product.
Derotanim
View Profile
Regular user
UK
126 Posts

Profile of Derotanim
Quote:
On Feb 19, 2022, The_March_Hare wrote:
Review:

I will get right to it from the beginning, is this deck examinable by laymen and magicians without them figuring out the method? No... absolutely not! I know one way of constructing the deck and the gimmick that probably would but not the way that Craig and Murphy's did it. Therefore, the advertising is dishonest when they say that it could be examined by laymen and magicians.

Now I know what his response will be, "if you are a seasoned performer, people shouldn't ask to examine the deck..." and that is true, except that Craig and Murphy's said in the ad copy that it could be examined. In fact, when Adam Wilber asked, "could I examine the deck..." and Craig said that if he were there in person, he could examine the deck. This implies that he wouldn't find out the method, but for someone as knowledgeable as Adam, he would easily figure it out in about 10 seconds.

Onto the next one...

When I first watched the trailer, it fooled me... particularly when he said that the deck could be examined. However, after ordering and thinking about it for a few hours, I recognized one particular move in the trailer that reminded me of another ACAAN, which will remain nameless, but Adam should be familiar with, and I figured it out. When it arrived, it was what I thought that it was.

Out of respect for Craig Petty, I have gone through great lengths in trying not to tip the method.

As for the product itself, it is a great product, so that is what pains me about the ad copy being dishonest. I LOVE THE IDEA of a participant thinking about a playing card, having the participant think of a number, then dealing down to that number and the thought of playing card is at that location. It will ABSOLUTELY fly past every layman on the planet.

For people wondering about how to get the participant to choose the card placed in the deck, see Peter Turner's penguin lecture or some of his other work on this stuff. I'm not going to say much else...

Due to the misleading ad copy and how critical Craig Petty used to be about other magicians with misleading ad copies, I was going to give it 3 out of 5 stars but I went with 4 stars because it is a great product.

Honestly at this point the discussion of dishonesty has just been done to death. From my experiences with the deck, laypeople can handle and examine it all they want without finding anything. As I see it, that fulfils the expectation set by the ad copy.
252life
View Profile
Inner circle
Ninth Circle, Hades
3253 Posts

Profile of 252life
^^ Agreed!
Look for all the world like you're counting the brain cells in his cranium.

-Theodore Annemann
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
I agree. Nuff said.
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (737 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..11..19..27..35..41~42~43~44~45..51~52~53 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL