The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (727 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..47~48~49~50~51~52~53 [Next]
dunraven
View Profile
Regular user
Austin, TX
120 Posts

Profile of dunraven
I got my deck at Penguin and am having the same issue as rgnprof. That said, it’s a great concept and the videos are excellent. I may need to touch up my deck per the tutorial.
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1153 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2022, Rory111 wrote:
Yes, I agree the trailer/examinability argument has been discussed to death on this thread. If you believe that something unscrupulous has been done in either marketing by Murphy's or Craig's claims... then don't buy Quantum and move on. But, I know that many of you enjoy bashing and trashing others to make yourselves feel significant... even if you are only "wise in your own eyes".

You cannot validate that something unscrupulous was done unless you spend your money to obtain the product, right? So what you said doesn't really make any sense.

And how does expressing dissatisfaction equate to bashing and trashing others? isn't that 'reaching' quite a bit? Did someone make some repugnant statement about Craig that you are referencing? From what I saw over the past few pages is people, including myself, simply saying we felt the trailer was dishonest and it felt like we were taken advantage of. I don't know Craig and I certainly don't have any kind of vendetta against the man.

So what about the people who bought the product based upon an examinability statement/confirmation in the trailer? I just ask because your 'solution' seems to be to not buy the item.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Veteran user
366 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2022, DJ Trix wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2022, Rory111 wrote:
Yes, I agree the trailer/examinability argument has been discussed to death on this thread. If you believe that something unscrupulous has been done in either marketing by Murphy's or Craig's claims... then don't buy Quantum and move on. But, I know that many of you enjoy bashing and trashing others to make yourselves feel significant... even if you are only "wise in your own eyes".

You cannot validate that something unscrupulous was done unless you spend your money to obtain the product, right? So what you said doesn't really make any sense.

And how does expressing dissatisfaction equate to bashing and trashing others? isn't that 'reaching' quite a bit? Did someone make some repugnant statement about Craig that you are referencing? From what I saw over the past few pages is people, including myself, simply saying we felt the trailer was dishonest and it felt like we were taken advantage of. I don't know Craig and I certainly don't have any kind of vendetta against the man.

So what about the people who bought the product based upon an examinability statement/confirmation in the trailer? I just ask because your 'solution' seems to be to not buy the item.

Those people should be happy with the 100% examinability of the deck.
Rory111
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of Rory111
Quote:
On Feb 27, 2022, DJ Trix wrote:
The only issue I have with this is the claim that the deck is examinable. Obviously the deck is gimmicked and, although that may go unnoticed by a quick examination by a layman, it will be immediately evident even to a beginner magician.

Quote:
On Feb 28, 2022, DJ Trix wrote:

I would say YOUR previous post did in fact call Craig a liar... and yes, throughout some of these nearly 50 pages of conversation there has been "trashing and bashing" of this release by some.

Quote by John Lydgate: You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time."

Obviously, you are one of the displeased with the marketing, the Quantum Deck, or both. In the future, I would suggest you not buy a pre-sale magic release until you've got more information that would make sure to satisfy your standard of advertising, prior to your ordering. You could then, "validate" by reading reviews and having some of your magician friends perform it for you to determine if anything is unscrupulous, before you spend your money to obtain the product, right?
JuanPoop
View Profile
New user
Australia
82 Posts

Profile of JuanPoop
Awesome advice right there ^^^^^

Whether it's to do with QD or any product / service, in any field, for that matter.

Well said sir!
aka John
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1153 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Well Rory111, I did say Craig lied, but I didn't do it in a malevolent way and the way you just reframed it syntactically added a malevolence to it based upon your own bias to enhance your point which again is deceitful (theres that word again). Saying someone lied and calling someone a liar are two totally different statements, no? And in an effort to rectify your false claim against me, I have never called Craig a liar.

Everything in interpersonal interaction comes down to framing. A good Samaritan deed can be perceived as a heinous crime all based upon how one frames the event. Granted not all of us can be totally on key all of the time with our vernacular but some of us can be some of the time.

If others have 'bashed or trashed' Craig I can understand why as I was a bit upset myself with all of this. But I always try to maintain the diplomacy especially in the magic world where my actions will follow me and my integrity will set an ensuing reputation for how people feel about me in all forthcoming experiences. ;o)

Anyways I agree Rory111 that I should have waited to know more about the effect. Next time I will have to get my magus coherts to perform it for me. Good advice friend.

Love that name Juan!

Take care folks.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
The biggest flaw in this whole “false advertising, this deck cannot be examined” argument is that it completely ignores all of the performers who have successfully allowed many people (including magicians) to examine the cards.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3857 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I also take issue with phrases like Craig lied or the trailer is dishonest. In order to lie you have to say something you know to be untrue. From talking to Craig in person, watching his videos on this topic and the performance video where he hands the deck to a magician to examine, it is clear that Craig genuinely believes that magicians can examine the deck. You may disagree with him but that is very different to saying he is lying. I also think it is a stretch to call it deceptive when during a performance video he says they are just blank cards (which technically is true). The ad copy connected to the performance videos clearly states that the deck is gaffed. Likewise in the performance Craig implies to the participant’s that they can pick any number but the ad copy clearly states there is a range.

Anyone who thinks it is deceptive not to reveal the method in a performance video is really asking a lot. I’m not sure for instance you would expect a performance video for a marked deck to include the performer saying “There are 52 cards here, they are marked on the back but don’t worry about that”. Whether you have the confidence to have a magician examine the deck is a personal choice but can we have a bit less of the accusations of lying and dishonesty.

I must admit that when such a stellar release as this gets ripped apart on here it really puts me off of releasing my own material to the community.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
Francois Lagrange
View Profile
Loyal user
Paris, France
299 Posts

Profile of Francois Lagrange
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I also take issue with phrases like Craig lied or the trailer is dishonest. In order to lie you have to say something you know to be untrue. From talking to Craig in person, watching his videos on this topic and the performance video where he hands the deck to a magician to examine, it is clear that Craig genuinely believes that magicians can examine the deck. You may disagree with him but that is very different to saying he is lying. I also think it is a stretch to call it deceptive when during a performance video he says they are just blank cards (which technically is true). The ad copy connected to the performance videos clearly states that the deck is gaffed. Likewise in the performance Craig implies to the participant’s that they can pick any number but the ad copy clearly states there is a range.

Anyone who thinks it is deceptive not to reveal the method in a performance video is really asking a lot. I’m not sure for instance you would expect a performance video for a marked deck to include the performer saying “There are 52 cards here, they are marked on the back but don’t worry about that”. Whether you have the confidence to have a magician examine the deck is a personal choice but can we have a bit less of the accusations of lying and dishonesty.

I must admit that when such a stellar release as this gets ripped apart on here it really puts me off of releasing my own material to the community.

Mark

That’s priceless. The segment about Adam Wilber asking whether he could examine the deck and Craig Petty’s answer should have been edited out.

There are different categories of magicians and though some would no doubt find nothing suspicious with the deck, many, and among them seasoned magicians like Adam, would have little trouble finding the "secret".

Encouraging this type of dubious advertisement is a bad thing and whatever people say trying to justify it, like “He meant what he says etc.” is appalling.

The solution was simple: short apology from Craig, and then move on instead of a video with a stream of swearwords.

The reality is there for anybody to see but some are adamant that the emperor wears clothes.
Protect me from my friends, I'll take care of my enemies.
Noobmaster69
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of Noobmaster69
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, DJ Trix wrote:
Saying someone lied and calling someone a liar are two totally different statements, no? And in an effort to rectify your false claim against me, I have never called Craig a liar.

Maybe it's because english isn't my native language but in my understanding "somebody who lied" is the exact definition of a liar.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3857 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I disagree that seasoned magicians would instantly find the method. I think I can be classed as a seasoned magician having been doing magic for over 50 years and having turned professional 40 years ago, having written 3 books on the subject and also having contributed to around 20 other books and publications, had the likes of John Carey coming to me for lessons back in the day and having come up through the ranks with Kevin Reay, Michael Vincent, etc after being mentored by Bobby Bernard and Harry Baron. I am also an Associate of the Inner Magic Circle. Is that seasoned enough for you? I am not convinced I’d have picked up the method from the standard version because of the reasons I stated in my earlier post. I very much doubt I’d have found anything with Craig’s magician version of the deck described in the download.

Nothing appalling about “he meant what he said”, I not only think he genuinely believed it when he said it, but I also think the statement was likely to be right far more often than it is wrong. Sure there are no effects that will fool 100% of knowledgable magicians but whilst I have no intention of performing this on magicians, prior to this being released and the method widely exposed I’d have had no issue letting a magician examine the deck. It would not be the first time I have fooled magicians using this principle and yes in my own use of the principle (different to this and different to the normal use of the principle) I have allowed magicians to handle the deck and they have not picked up on the method.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, Francois Lagrange wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, Mark_Chandaue wrote:

Mark

That’s priceless. The segment about Adam Wilber asking whether he could examine the deck and Craig Petty’s answer should have been edited out.

There are different categories of magicians and though some would no doubt find nothing suspicious with the deck, many, and among them seasoned magicians like Adam, would have little trouble finding the "secret".

Encouraging this type of dubious advertisement is a bad thing and whatever people say trying to justify it, like “He meant what he says etc.” is appalling.

The solution was simple: short apology from Craig, and then move on instead of a video with a stream of swearwords.

The reality is there for anybody to see but some are adamant that the emperor wears clothes.

Sorry to everybody about the radio silence. I went straight from Blackpool to America where I am currently filming with Penguin Magic.

Something that I need to make clear having spoken to Adam Wilber is there are varying definitions of fooling a Magician. For example, would Adam find the secret that is used to make the trick work if he examined the deck? Possibly. However knowing that would not mean that he would understand how the trick worked. The quantum deck has been around for awhile now and has been debated to the point of exposure. It means that a lot of people understand the method even if they don’t have the trick. However when I was showing at the magicians in the trailer they had never seen anything like it before. To be clear the method that is used is used in a different way in the quantum deck. Normally the method is used to hide surfaces whilst here it is being used in a totally different way. Having spoken to pretty much every single person that appeared in the trailer I am confident that even if they found the core method that would not help them work out exactly what was happening and how that method would lead to the card appearing in a specific location.

I have answered this question to death. In my latest Q&A on Sunday I said my final piece about it. The bottom line is I have and continue to use the quantum deck to full layman and magicians all around the world. I could give you a massive list of magicians that were completely fooled by the quantum deck.

However if you want to think that I misled people, that I created a dishonest trailer then that’s your prerogative and I’m not going to argue with you.

Have a nice day
[url=http://www.youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualMagic TV YouTube Channel by Craig Petty[/url]
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1611 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Excellent answer, Craig. Enjoy your time in the states.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
JustJohn
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of JustJohn
In point of fact it is quite possible it recently fooled Penn and Teller.
Bottom Drawer
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bottom Drawer
Quote:
I disagree that seasoned magicians would instantly find the method. I think I can be classed as a seasoned magician having been doing magic for over 50 years and having turned professional 40 years ago, having written 3 books on the subject and also having contributed to around 20 other books and publications, had the likes of John Carey coming to me for lessons back in the day and having come up through the ranks with Kevin Reay, Michael Vincent, etc after being mentored by Bobby Bernard and Harry Baron. I am also an Associate of the Inner Magic Circle. Is that seasoned enough for you?

Perfect answer Mark.. that's seasoned enough.

Can we see a video of you performing to the public? Anything not the QD. Can you post one video?
Want to see a top pro at work.
Seems to be a lot of talk on here, but no performance back up.
I agree, this deck is a worker, although I only perform for friends and family.

Id love to see you perform anything for the public.

Interested in your books too

Do you perform theatre shows? TV ?

Good Magic All

BD
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3857 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
BD you can come and see me lecture in Reading on Thursday, I won’t be doing the QD at the lecture but I will be performing and teaching some of my own creations.

I perform primarily at private functions and banquets these days although post lockdown I am to all intents and purposes retired from performing. In my younger days I was a busker at Covent Garden and worked the holiday camps. I also did table hopping back in the day but it was never where my heart was. I was also the Hamley’s resident magician for 5 years back when they had a professional magic department.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Bottom Drawer
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bottom Drawer
Thanks Mark, I might try and make that.

BD
takeachance
View Profile
Inner circle
3658 Posts

Profile of takeachance
Craig just won this years Thurston Award, congratulations mate, truly deserved.

"The Thurston Award will be awarded to a creator who created an effect in 2021 AND who represents the true Spirit of Magic"
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3857 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
Absolutely well deserved. Congratulations Craig.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9940 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, takeachance wrote:
Craig just won this years Thurston Award, congratulations mate, truly deserved.

"The Thurston Award will be awarded to a creator who created an effect in 2021 AND who represents the true Spirit of Magic"

Hate to be the sender of bad news but it’s 2022 this year.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (727 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12..21..30..39..47~48~49~50~51~52~53 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL