The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (737 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29..34..38..42..46..50..51~52~53 [Next]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, Markymark wrote:
Yes and..the new propdog show very fairly in their review say pretty much the same thing as Luke Dancy.

IF you were here you could examine the deck....but of course you know someone [such as Adam Wilber] on zoom cannot get at the deck.
Good trick but the trailer is dishonest.

And I totally disagree with Prop Dog. The thing is I’ve shown video footage of me fooling magicians with this deck. I remember being at smoke and mirrors and showing people like Daniel Chard and fooling him completely. Will it fool every magician? Probably not but I’ve fooled loads of knowledgable magicians with this deck not that performing for magicians should be a thing as it’s not for me.

Also it’s worth noting that it’s only Alex’s opinion. I was shocked when people told me Prop Dog said the trailer was misleading as I’ve spoken to Dave and he doesn’t think that’s the case at all. So this is Alex’s opinion not Prop Dog as a company.
reignofsound
View Profile
Inner circle
Glasgow, UK
2200 Posts

Profile of reignofsound
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, Markymark wrote:
Yes and..the new propdog show very fairly in their review say pretty much the same thing as Luke Dancy.

IF you were here you could examine the deck....but of course you know someone [such as Adam Wilber] on zoom cannot get at the deck.
Good trick but the trailer is dishonest.

And I totally disagree with Prop Dog. The thing is I’ve shown video footage of me fooling magicians with this deck. I remember being at smoke and mirrors and showing people like Daniel Chard and fooling him completely. Will it fool every magician? Probably not but I’ve fooled loads of knowledgable magicians with this deck not that performing for magicians should be a thing as it’s not for me.

Also it’s worth noting that it’s only Alex’s opinion. I was shocked when people told me Prop Dog said the trailer was misleading as I’ve spoken to Dave and he doesn’t think that’s the case at all. So this is Alex’s opinion not Prop Dog as a company.

That must have been a kick in the teeth.
Love the trick and what you have done with Magic TV 👌🏻
DaphneFairfax
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of DaphneFairfax
Quote:

I don't think Alex at PropDog has any real experience, he just happens to work in a magic shop and his comments are often nonsense.

This is a great release and I'm sure Crystalize will be too
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
It was a bit of a shock especially as on my video yesterday I awarded Prop Dog a special award on The Magic TV 2021 Awards Show for services to the magic community for telling the truth and being all round awesome.

Like I say I’m hopeful that the opinions of Alex do not reflect the opinions of Prop Dog.

Here’s the link to the awards show by the way.

2nd Annual Magic TV Awards - Recapping Magic In 2021 - With Craig Petty & Ryland Petty

https://youtu.be/q5deekfhPRY
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
698 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Alex does like to be a bit controversial TBF.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
But Alex’s opinion is propdog in a way as it’s association. The thing is if a customer not following on here or knows other magicians etc contacts PD for advise/opinion on this, Alex naturally is going to give his opinions as spoke about on the live. The result of that will determine if that customer buys the effect based on what has been said, resulting in that customer buying it/not from the opinion/advise given (same goes for any effect really). But point is the association and representation is still there as part of propdog. As generally discussion will be propdog said this, Saturn said that, Alakazam said the other etc etc.
DaphneFairfax
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of DaphneFairfax
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, Roberto W wrote:
But Alex’s opinion is propdog in a way as it’s association. The thing is if a customer not following on here or knows other magicians etc contacts PD for advise/opinion on this, Alex naturally is going to give his opinions as spoke about on the live. The result of that will determine if that customer buys the effect based on what has been said, resulting in that customer buying it/not from the opinion/advise given (same goes for any effect really). But point is the association and representation is still there as part of propdog. As generally discussion will be propdog said this, Saturn said that, Alakazam said the other etc etc.

that's a good point, however when I check theatre reviews I note who the actual reviewer was as well as the publication. You soon lose faith in some and have trust in others.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
698 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
Sure, but let's not turn it into a Alex Vs Craig situation. They're both two of the good guys in magic: they both give an honest opinion you can trust regardless of magic b/s politics. In a way, although I disagree with Alex on this, I respect him even more for saying what he thinks despite Propdog's recent association with Craig. Craig would do the same.
SharkTrager442
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of SharkTrager442
Bear with me here - this is relevant:

When I was 18, I spent my year off in Canada and ended up having to make the most frightening decision of my life.

My best friend Jack and I had spent a number of months in Toronto at which point we took a Greyhound westward to Banff to hike in the Rockies. Backpacks on and briefings about grizzlies done, we set off. About 4 hours in the snow began to fall (we had been warned this might happen but we were young, adventurous and didn't listen). As the tracks disappeared into the whiteness, we were worried but continued our hike. I've no idea how, but at some point Jack slipped and we heard a crack. He couldn't walk another step. Given this was the early 90's, there were no mobile phones and I had no choice but to find help. He was screaming in pain.

I was terrified but I told him to wait for me. I'd be back. He wrapped up in a red sleeping bag under a tree and I left him. I promise I'll be back, I said. But I wasn't sure.

I set off and walked for hours and hours until I found life. I managed to find and alert the mounted police who told me that they could mobilise and find him but they needed to know where I left him. I had no idea. I was an idiot. They showed me a map of the terrain and told me that time was running out. If the bears hadn't got him, the cold would. We only had a couple of hours. They told me I should pinpoint a square on the map where I think I left him. They only really had one shot at finding him. If I picked wrong, he could, most likely would...die. I felt the fear. The map was divided into 40 or 50 square miles all numbered and I knew sort of, kind of, that he was somewhere in the middle of the map. But where, I didn't know. I didn't know if it was a square in the teens, 20's, thirties or more I just had to say something. So I just picked a number from the map. I don't why I said what I did but I just blurted out the number of the square and I was bundled into a helicopter.

I want you to step into my shoes for a few seconds. An 18 yr old kid trying to save his best friend in the snow. What number would you have gone for? Just say it. 25?

This deck of cards is snow. We have one chance to save Jack or never see him again. The guilt would probably kill me off as well.

As we flew over the terrain all I could see what white. Nothing more. Let's count to 25. If Jack is there, we saved him. If we go too short or too far, it's over. 1...2...3...just snow everywhere...4...5.........21...22...23...I was freezing with fear and the cold...24..yes.25!!! He was still there. I screamed when I saw that red sleeping bag. Still alive but only just.

I was right, so were you. He's still my best friend. The following year we just went to the Cotswolds.

<That's how I'm planning on presenting Quantum (when I get a copy)!>
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Just an FYI for those who want to do a very clean ACAAN with QD. Instead of using a p***** i****, you can use a d***** d***** deck arranged in pairs. You simply ask for card, openly fan through that deck (faces toward you) to find it, cut at pair, and turn top card face up showing their chosen card. This leaves its pair in perfect position for g******** c** in left hand. Put deck in pocket saying we won't need that anymore retaining the paired card. Proceed as shown in tutorial. Nice thing about this method is that it instantly resets by putting the pair in pocket on top or bottom of deck. I've used this a lot for another effect and it works really well.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2720 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Alex(employee) does not necessarily represent the expressed opinion of Propdog. What is with all this examinable stuff anyway. Not really sure, but I think I may have been performing longer than most on this post and never had anyone want to examine my cards. If this is your case, you are obviously setting the circumstance up for challenges anyway. Compared to most claims we see, Craig has
done a pretty good job. Simply put, either you will use it or not.

Best

Steve
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
As a employee he is in a way representing PD. You are right in what you are saying if talking about technicality, but the overall view from a customer enquiring will be “propdog has said this etc” even Alex in all accounts always says “ this a just my opinion” the consensus from a customer not following as deep into what people on here are etc will be it’s the view of PD, even if it’s just his opinion. He is still a association and representation of PD. So it basically comes down to if people view feedback from dealers as Alex of propdog says this (but just his personal opinion), Peter of Alakazam says this or it will be PD says this, Alakazam says this etc which I’m general discussion about who thinks/said what, the association is dealers not individual people as a general.

But yes people should be thinking if serious about purchasing effects would/should be “well Alex thinks this, let’s see what Dave personally thinks”
DaphneFairfax
View Profile
New user
26 Posts

Profile of DaphneFairfax
If he didn't work in a magic shop then no one would care what he thought.

David and Craig are well respected in their own right.

I don't think either should be tarnished by Alex's comments.
Roberto W
View Profile
Inner circle
1253 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
Exactly, but he does that’s why any comments good or bad will represent and in some way have association with/of that magic shop. The reason why the likes of PD are very well respected is because the majority of the time there is no grey area which is exactly what we as customers want - black and white without something being politely sugar coated when in reality a person thinks one thing but has to say another for the sake and reason of something else (mostly dealers being friendly with creators not to offend). A lot of dealers/review shows you can see are very careful in how they talk/review products if it’s not in a positive way, when in reality all we want is the honest brutal truth. This is why PD are respected so much and the loyalty is there with and from customers.
User101
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of User101
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, DaphneFairfax wrote:
Quote:

I don't think Alex at PropDog has any real experience, he just happens to work in a magic shop and his comments are often nonsense.

Judgmental much? What is it now jump on Alex day? What do you know about Alex's knowledge of magic?
It was during the live feed which is always a casual kind of personal opinons are allowed broadcast anyway,many times Dave has said he likes a trick Alex has said its rubbish and vice versa,so how can it be Propdog's offical opinion?

This "don't say anything bad about Quantum Deck trailer" is getting silly.
Christian_de_Punto
View Profile
New user
Earth - Europe - Germany 138 plus
86 Posts

Profile of Christian_de_Punto
Forgive me if this thought was mentioned before in this post... but coming back after a while and finding 27 pages, I did not read all.
being more into mentalism, I see this method to be a good force too. "look, I wrote many songs, the top 50 of the feb. 1980 charts on this blancs, tell me any position to choose from it... in this case, nobody will question the number itself, looks like a fair "analog real list".
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
2325 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, User101 wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 12, 2022, DaphneFairfax wrote:
Quote:

Judgmental much? What is it now jump on Alex day? What do you know about Alex's knowledge of magic?
It was during the live feed which is always a casual kind of personal opinons are allowed broadcast anyway,many times Dave has said he likes a trick Alex has said its rubbish and vice versa,so how can it be Propdog's offical opinion?

This "don't say anything bad about Quantum Deck trailer" is getting silly.

I’m happy for people to say what they want about the trailer and I didn’t say anything negative about Alex. I just said it’s disappointing they feel this way when they know me better than most. I know for a fact Dave feels very differently to Alex about this situation but he’s entitled to his own opinion. I just can’t see why he feels true when I have fooled magicians with this deck in Prop Dog while he was watching from a distance.
Doric
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of Doric
Quote:
On Feb 6, 2022, Doric wrote:
Quote:
On Feb 4, 2022, coachawsm wrote:
The "examinable" part is driving me nuts. I just don't get it. Anyway: ordered. Looking forward to it.

I think many people would have bought the trick on the premise that the deck is examinable.

In the trailer Craig says to Adam Wilber over Zoom if he was there he could examine the cards as they are just regular double blank cards.

Knowing the method I think this is the point people will take issue with. A magician would take the deck and instantly know the principle at play. They would know the cards are not 'regular' double blank cards.

The trick is still clever but if you're expecting a gaff free deck, based on what Craig said to Adam, you'll be disappointed.

I anticipated people would take issue around claims of examinability last week.

Let's see if it's still the case when people have the deck in hand. Based on Craig's recent video it shouldn't be an issue.
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Special user
UK
698 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
This is the problem with pre-orders, hype and teaser campaigns as a marketing strategy. Everyone ends up speculating, to the potential detriment of the actual product.

I can't wait to get Quantum in my hands but I'm not a fan of the way products are marketed in magic these days.
User101
View Profile
Regular user
177 Posts

Profile of User101
Why cant products just be released ,what's with this pre order malarkey?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Quantum Deck by Craig Petty (737 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..25~26~27~28~29..34..38..42..46..50..51~52~53 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL