The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Legacy System (97 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2239 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Apr 8, 2022, prankmonster wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2022, dooblehorn wrote:
Got a notice of shipping today, actually shipping tomorrow, woohoo!


Is this the 3rd batch? When did you order? Congrats!


2nd batch, and supposedly coming today!
prankmonster
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of prankmonster
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2022, dooblehorn wrote:


2nd batch, and supposedly coming today! [/quote]

Congrats! Now that you had a few days to play with it, any thoughts you would like to share? Did you get the small wallet kit?
dooblehorn
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburg, CA
2239 Posts

Profile of dooblehorn
Quote:
On Apr 14, 2022, prankmonster wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 11, 2022, dooblehorn wrote:


2nd batch, and supposedly coming today!


Congrats! Now that you had a few days to play with it, any thoughts you would like to share? Did you get the small wallet kit? [/quote]

My full time job has unfortunately given me little time to play with it. However, I've watched all the tutorials and instructional videos, and am watching them again, just to be familiar. I've ordered some Clue game cards, so I may scan and transfer to clear sticker paper to apply to the RFID cards. Similar routine to the RFID example demo. I'm anxious to try out the small wallet in particular, as that's what I'll likely use more than the full-size wallet. For those that bought this, I'm just curious, how will you be using yours?
TomB
View Profile
Loyal user
Michigan, USA
293 Posts

Profile of TomB
I was curious if the price point would be too high. The supply and demand curve states the price is not too high as it's always sold out.

There are alternative miniature pocket printers. There are Sw**mi writers and M***ica wallets which offer a no technology fail safe method.

Magicians are lazy and want the easiest method. They don't want to look guilty when the dirty work is being done. I understand why magicians want this. It does the dirty work.

I do think wallet is too big to be put on the table. I had the George Costanza wallet. Over the years I have reduced down. This wallet is larger than 3 of my magic wallets combined without accessories.

So yes, it is too big. And if you are going to hide it, you can hide a myriad of other devices. But the inkjet printers will run you 50 bucks for a new ink cartridge. This X* mini pl***er is just several drops of ink.

I understand why magicians want this. And those with fat wallets splash the cash. My question is for the mentalists that are comfortable using the other methods. Will they ditch the old methods and use this new technology?
Joao Miranda
View Profile
Elite user
Portugal
430 Posts

Profile of Joao Miranda
Quote:
On May 23, 2022, TomB wrote:
I was curious if the price point would be too high. The supply and demand curve states the price is not too high as it's always sold out.

There are alternative miniature pocket printers. There are Sw**mi writers and M***ica wallets which offer a no technology fail safe method.

Magicians are lazy and want the easiest method. They don't want to look guilty when the dirty work is being done. I understand why magicians want this. It does the dirty work.

I do think wallet is too big to be put on the table. I had the George Costanza wallet. Over the years I have reduced down. This wallet is larger than 3 of my magic wallets combined without accessories.

So yes, it is too big. And if you are going to hide it, you can hide a myriad of other devices. But the inkjet printers will run you 50 bucks for a new ink cartridge. This X* mini pl***er is just several drops of ink.

I understand why magicians want this. And those with fat wallets splash the cash. My question is for the mentalists that are comfortable using the other methods. Will they ditch the old methods and use this new technology?


Seems it’s hard to see belong the obvious.

You don’t even need to see a “wallet”.

Here is one example:

Kassim
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of Kassim
So tempted to get this!
Roberto W
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of Roberto W
My main fear with the open notepad input is because the odds are that impossible, it I think will lead people thinking “it must have been something to do with him writing it in his phone” then the thoughts I feel will lead to people thinking maybe it was secretly printed out some how. Which if I’m honest, I don’t think this is magician thinking. Audiences are not stupid and if anything are more switched on today. Even though this ‘theory’ is not openly commented on whilst you are there, I guarantee when you leave for the next table it’s discussed.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2795 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Looking at the system has definitely made me consider a number of different creative ways to use it. I think that's what's fun about it - I wouldn't show the wallet, yet my mind is still swimming with the possibilities this thing offers. There are lots of creative ways to use it!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Totally agree Andrew, people who don’t have it don’t realise it’s potential and probably never ever will imho Gaz 😊
The Baldini
View Profile
Inner circle
I some how pounded in
2438 Posts

Profile of The Baldini
I’m looking for ideas on how to use it without having to wear a jacket , please share your thoughts here or PM me.
Thanks Dave
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1127 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
This is a great discussion.

I have held back from commenting on this for some time to give myself the chance to work this in the real world and see what comments, feedback etc comes back. In my routine I deliberately place the wallet in full view on the table I am working. The context I use is very useful to get in to this, as what I do to introduce the effect is say that I am going to attempt to influence someone (I agree with Jan, influence is far more plausible and impressive than a prediction!). I request that we make a row of personal obects on the table and ask people to to take out any objects from their personal belongings as I remove my own wallet and phone from different pockets and lay them on the table in being helpful to provide 2 of the objects to start the row. I am simultaneously naming other suggestions that become progressively more ridiculous and hilarious such as keys, coins, cheque books, valium pills, viagra, etc.

Although I am secretly being a bit angle sensitive with the wallet placing the 'thinning illusion' side towards the group, I appear to take zero care or interest with my personal objects, as I am focussed on walking around the table encouraging others to donate objects and then placing them in the row until there are around 8-10 objects although I have had up to 15. Believe me, no-one touches your wallet or keys (which have my ring flight on them) and no one cares about them either as they are interested in the groups objects being collected and the interactions I am having with each person. I then do a whole window dressing and layer of distraction by making a big deal of how I will influence them and they cannot stop it, saying some slightly mysterious things, and then have the first object chosen by being touched. My reaction to this is to be visibly excited as if the effect may already have been done, however I then say as if it's another spontaneous thought...tell you what lets go for more and continiue with another round.

It is at this point I realise someone will need to 'keep track' of these choices so we don't forget them. Does anyone have a pen?....ummmmmm ok well we can use my notes on my phone as I remove my phone from the row of objects saying "still plenty of choices left" and hand the phone to the person choosing saying here can you please carefully record each choice. If they choose the phone first....even better! I tease them saying...."Oh you are fond of my phone I see!" which gets a laugh. Then use the same lines as before, it's perfect as it seems like you are playing off their choice for more comedy effect. A side note here: I have also used the remote and while the effect is slightly cleaner in proceedure, the way I am explaining here to use the phone has never been questioned or even noticed. I have them make 2 more choices while I continue to 'project influence' over them and the choices are all recorded in notes.

Here is the really neat part, now I have them read back the notes and I display these three objects sliding them from the row loudly & daramatically re-capping their "first choice, second choice, third choice, all other objects can be put away again. The attention remains on the objects and the phone remains essentially invisible. This creates a bit of commotion and time delay, what really ensures everyone forgets the phone is that I put my phone away at that point (or if it was a chosen object it goes back to the table on display as if it was there the whole time. Due to the final picture created, they forget it was ever in play! The other object that does not get put away is your wallet, you simply slide it to one side without comment (or if it was a chosen object even better - it is on the table displayed!). Keep in mind at this point no one has any idea my wallet will be part of the reveal.

My final question to them is "Be honest...did you feel like these were free choices, or did you feel influenced?" No matter what they answer I say "well that is the beautiful thing about subtlely affecting your choices, even though you know full well that there are hundreds of possible outcomes and I gave you chances to change your mind that was all part of the psychology of influence and you could not help but choose precisely as I willed you to do". Now they are wondering where is the proof of this statement?? So I have now set up the final reveal elegantly and to also be a surprise that the proof comes from a card that has been sitting in the wallet in full view the whole time.

All that remains is to reveal the card and hand it around.

Here are the comments on Legacy itself...

This is a dream come true system. I could not ask for a more powerful and convincing way to present the 'influence' effect as a mentalist. With the right approach to presentation the wallet is simply a normal personal object and never though of twice by any layman. They are much too stunned by the impact of the effect itself to begin make any associations. Played the right way, it just never enters their mind in my experience. So in summary for a worker this is a prize bull effect and I certainly will be getting every bit of use I can from it. I intend to develop a totally different walkaround routine for the small wallet from jacket pocket setup. For my table hopping gigs this influence routine has quickly become top shelf.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
Brilliant routine Al and thanks for taking the time to share it.
Also for the review, it’s a truly wonderful piece of kit but more than that it works in the real world for layman.
Best wishes my friend Gaz 😊
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1127 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Gaz Lawrence wrote:
Brilliant routine Al and thanks for taking the time to share it.
Also for the review, it’s a truly wonderful piece of kit but more than that it works in the real world for layman.
Best wishes my friend Gaz 😊


You are welcome Gaz, couldn't agree more and hope you are doing well my brother!!
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2795 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Fantastic routine, Al! Very clever use of everything needed to make the magic happen!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Al Straker wrote:
It is at this point I realise someone will need to 'keep track' of these choices so we don't forget them. Does anyone have a pen?....ummmmmm ok well we can use my notes on my phone as I remove my phone from the row of objects saying "still plenty of choices left" and hand the phone to the person choosing saying here can you please carefully record each choice.

I like this process but for me it is a risk that an uninitiated person types the text !

One little spelling mistake and the magic could be over for at least one person 🤔
lunatik
View Profile
Inner circle
2882 Posts

Profile of lunatik
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Al Straker wrote:
It is at this point I realise someone will need to 'keep track' of these choices so we don't forget them. Does anyone have a pen?....ummmmmm ok well we can use my notes on my phone as I remove my phone from the row of objects saying "still plenty of choices left" and hand the phone to the person choosing saying here can you please carefully record each choice.

I like this process but for me it is a risk that an uninitiated person types the text !

One little spelling mistake and the magic could be over for at least one person 🤔


it would be cool to have a 'sending option' i.e. hit return 3 times for example. just to give the performer time to review what was written and verify spelling etc.
"Don't let your Dreams become Fantasies"
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
Amazing routine Al, thanks so much for sharing. Having written my share of “lengthy posts” I can appreciate how long that took you to write up. I’m guessing you hit Preview Post 35 times minimum. 😃 Of course you are probably a much better keyboardist than I am so who knows.

I think there were two valuable lessons in the routine you described…the first lesson is one you mentioned about using the premise of influence rather a prediction. The second lesson here that you didn’t stress but made very clear is ensuring your routine is mind-blowing yet still plausible. Some mystery performers, especially those new to the art, are going to be unable to resist the temptation to use their new two thousand dollar toy to do something utterly impossible such as predicting an 18 digit number, thinking they need to make full use of this tools ability to recreate virtually anything a spectator can think of. But just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Your routine still has huge odds and still seems virtually impossible yet somehow manages to still feel plausible enough for a spectator to believe you actually could have influenced them. And once you get them to go down that road they will rarely even try to discern a method because they believe you have already shared the method with them.

Again, a great routine in many ways! (and I didn’t even mention all of the audience participation and getting so many involved.)
Thank you Al!
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1127 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Fantastic routine, Al! Very clever use of everything needed to make the magic happen!


Hey Andrew, thanks brother I am enjoying performing this one Smile Glad you guys can see some value in it.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1127 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, Al Straker wrote:
It is at this point I realise someone will need to 'keep track' of these choices so we don't forget them. Does anyone have a pen?....ummmmmm ok well we can use my notes on my phone as I remove my phone from the row of objects saying "still plenty of choices left" and hand the phone to the person choosing saying here can you please carefully record each choice.

I like this process but for me it is a risk that an uninitiated person types the text !

One little spelling mistake and the magic could be over for at least one person 🤔



Yes you are right, it has happened to me twice!! The slight advantage you have is you know where the mistake is because you see it in the notes....you know what I did?? I 'accidentally' put my finger over the card covering the missplled word a little bit (only as much as necessary) while displaying it. The applause was just as strong as ever Smile I also never showed it closely to the guy who typed the notes just to be safe. Because they can still see 2.5 words clearly and I acted confidently as if I nailed it, nothing was questioned.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1127 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
Quote:
On Jun 23, 2022, videoman wrote:
Amazing routine Al, thanks so much for sharing. Having written my share of “lengthy posts” I can appreciate how long that took you to write up. I’m guessing you hit Preview Post 35 times minimum. 😃 Of course you are probably a much better keyboardist than I am so who knows.

I think there were two valuable lessons in the routine you described…the first lesson is one you mentioned about using the premise of influence rather a prediction. The second lesson here that you didn’t stress but made very clear is ensuring your routine is mind-blowing yet still plausible. Some mystery performers, especially those new to the art, are going to be unable to resist the temptation to use their new two thousand dollar toy to do something utterly impossible such as predicting an 18 digit number, thinking they need to make full use of this tools ability to recreate virtually anything a spectator can think of. But just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Your routine still has huge odds and still seems virtually impossible yet somehow manages to still feel plausible enough for a spectator to believe you actually could have influenced them. And once you get them to go down that road they will rarely even try to discern a method because they believe you have already shared the method with them.

Hey vid, thanks brother, I appreciate your appreciation! Plausability is one of the keys to creating an intriguing mentalist character IMHO.

Again, a great routine in many ways! (and I didn’t even mention all of the audience participation and getting so many involved.)
Thank you Al!
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Legacy System (97 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..13~14~15
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL