The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Devilish Impuzzibilities and Bewildering Impuzzibilities - Jim Steinmeyer - (A Magic Portal review) (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of canaday
Devilish Impuzzibilities - Jim Steinmeyer
$19.00
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=66789

Bewildering Impuuzzibilies - Jim Steinmeyer
$26.00
https://www.murphysmagic.com/product.aspx?id=71623

Mr. Steinmeyer has been cranking out these little gems for a number of years. Each one seems to get better. Before I added these two to my library I already owned four volumes. I plan on completing the collection with the other four (and any other new releases) at some point in the near future. All the volumes have a similar look to them, the main difference is in cover color. Each contains a number of self working miracles, some better than others but all will fool most anyone. Workings on some are very easy and other more complex (but, of course, this makes it all that much easier to baffle your audience.) Some are designed for closeup, others for stage or virtual and some will work in both mediums.

I have a tendency to just sit back and start reading but you will quickly find yourself breaking out a deck. True that these are based on mathematical principles but in each, it is well hidden and will never be suspected. And, did I mention, not a sleight in either booklet.

Time to take a look at the booklets.

Devilish Impuzzibilities

The Hype:
The sixth book in the series, featuring The Irresistible Force, a three-card trick, and Irresistible Shopping, a mental routine in which three items from a grocery store are correctly predicted.

Deepest Sympathy is an "Impuzzible" version of the Sympathetic card trick.

The Lost and the Found is a, hands-off card location based on the mysterious Tobba Mystery;

A Study in Scarlet and Black is a Sherlock Holmes mystery, performed with a deck of cards over the telephone.

Other routines, like Travel Expands the Mind, and Mystery in Abstract, are unique stand-up prediction effects using just pieces of cardboard with words or drawings. With eleven effects, all together, foil stamped cover, quality printing, 36 pages of text.

My Take:
Eleven pieces of pure brilliance. "Just Thinking", the first routine is based on the old binary cards that come in every beginners set. The is very easy to do and impossible to figure out. Down side is that it is an entire deck stack and you do need the print out to set it up each time. In the booklet, Jim shuffles the deck at the end and passes it out. This, of course, destroys the stack. However, if you just pick up the packets and assemble them in order, you should be reset to perform again.

The Three Ball Test - This is one you are going to want to learn. However, you will have to learn the script accurately for it to work. This requires no props except your brain. The volunteer is asked to imagine in his mind three different colored balls. After making some random choices and eliminating a couple of balls, you are able to name the colored ball he has left. This can be performed with a larger crowd, virtual or even radio. This is probably my favorite effect in the booklet.

The Irresistible Force - You give three cards to your volunteer who shuffles them face down so no one know the order. He then turns them over and spells each card eliminating the last one on the face. You are able to name the card left over. This is not one of the big effects in the booklet. I think it was mainly included to show an example of the force being used.

Irresistible Shopping. - This will let you use three volunteers. Each is handed three cards listing grocery items. Each volunteer narrows each their card down to one making random choices; at the end, each reveals the card left over. A grocery bag is brought out containing the three items.

Deepest Sympathy - You and your volunteer each have six cards. After shuffling each packet, the two packets are found to be in identical order.

The Luckier Number - By using your "lucky number" to count, you are able to find your volunteers selection.

The Lost and the Found- You let the spectator do all the work in this. After losing his card, you are able to reveal the position of the selection in the deck.

A Study in Scarlet and Black - In this one, Sherlock Holmes actually finds the selection for you.

Travel Expands the Mind - You are able to predict which of six cities your volunteer will visit. If you are able to get actual postcards of each places, it will add a lot. If not, making your own cards works fine.

Raw Sentiment - The volunteer is given a stack of cards with different words on them. After shuffling them, the words on each is spelled out eliminating all but one card which has been predicted by you.

Mystery in Abstract - Back when I was a kid, Roger Price created a series of easily drawn cartoons, known as Droodles. The object was to guess what each was. After you found out the answer it was easy to see but some were really funny foolers. Some samples can be seen here. https://www.rd.com/list/roger-price-droodles/ . I have seen different answers for several of them, just as funny as the ones given. In fact, I had a different answer for one of them that Jim uses in this routine. Fun stuff and it will net you some laughs.

Bewildering Impuzzibilities

The Hype:
Our unassuming Impuzzibilities booklets have earned their devoted fans around the world. Each volume offers amazing tricks that delight the performer and then amaze the audience - fascinating effects, mysterious systems and rich presentations. When virtual magic became a necessity, these little manuals offered the battle plans for magicians, as vital in a virtual world as the Zoom app. Then, these tricks worked their way into their permanent repertoires. Bewildering Impuzzibilities, the 10th book in the series, is brand new for 2021. (It's the cream-colored one with the bunny.) This new collection of eleven tricks contains some that work perfectly in virtual situations and some made for live situations.

Ovations is a hands-off prediction using four printed card. You won't believe that this sort of prediction is even possible. Do it for one person or one thousand people at the same time, virtually or in reality.

Traveling Companions is a baffling revelation (but it can't be a force, right?) of four cards, based on absolutely free selections.

Fastest, Neatest is a brand new principle based on an old friend, free choices decided upon by one spectator.

Will I Be Lucky? is a surprising bit of fortune telling with a packet of cards; it starts with a funny premise and ends with a whack on the side of the head... And then, seven more bewildering effects with nothing more than playing cards or pieces of cardboard.

Like all the other books in the series, the tricks are clearly presented and illustrated with helpful charts; the secrets do all the work, and the disproportionate level of amazement makes your job a pleasure. They're the books that will entertain you as much as the audience. You'll find Bewildering Impuzzibilities along with other titles in the series. (Ask the fans who have been using these tricks.)

My Take:

The first thing you might notice is that there has been a significant price increase from previous volumes. Everything has gotten more expensive. If you don't believe me, go down the street and fill your gas tank. Ouch! This booklet while more costly is definitely still worth the investment.

Ovations - the first routine in the book was run once before in Jim's column in Genie. Liked it when I saw it then and made it up. I am happy that it was included as if I want to use it again, it is much easier finding this booklet on the shelf than digging through a pile of old magazines.

Match, Match, Match, Match - You announce that you have put a card into a certain position in the deck After having the volunteer cut an unknown number of cards from the deck and the balance of the deck dealt into three piles, the card arrived at is shown to be a Queen. The other three queens are shown to be on the tops and bottoms of the packets. The trick is taught with queens but I am sure it could be done with any four of a kind.

Out - Adapted from a routine by Jon Racherbaumer. You are able to predict just when your volunteer is going to run out of cards from a packet that he cut randomly.

Pecor's Clock - A routine from David Garrard, a friend of Lance Burton's. A clock trick different from the clock trick we are all familiar with.

Just Ten Cards - With a ten card packet, the spectator picks a number and moves that many cards from top to bottom. You turn over another card and it names the number that were moved. This can be done any number of times and the last time is done with the cards face up.

Traveling Companions - A story routine using just ten cards to decide where and when you and your friends are going to vacation.

The Rosetta Deck - One of his more involved routines. Two spectators will each receive half of the cards and shuffle them. One is told to look through his cards and memorize a lower valued card while the other is told to pick a higher card. They then exchange the packs. By asking if there are other cards of the same value as theirs, they remove them from the deck and place them into their pocket, telling you how many cards were moved. They then repeat the process. You have a chart you keep off to the side that will name their card by knowing how many same values and same suits were found. A pretty involved but impressive piece of magic.

Not a Princess - Four volunteers are each given a quarter of the deck and instructed to think of a card in their hands. A series of questions posed to the group will reveal the card each of them has thought of. This does use a standard mentalism procedure but it works great.

Three Times Impossible - A trick that the Professor loved. Even taught it to Johnny Thompson. How can it not be great?

Fastest, Neatest! - A different type of shuffling is demonstrated and the volunteer chooses a secret number and uses it with the shuffle. The cards are turned over one at a time and using the first letter of each number, Faster, Neater is spelled.

Will I Be Lucky? - I suggest making the one up and carrying it with you. You use a packet of nine cards to tell a fortune. Your volunteer is shown a list of over 30 questions. The cards are dealt down spelling each word in the question. On the first question, the card on top will be the 10 of hearts. They can then choose any other question any number of times and the card will always be the 10 of hearts. They will, of course, suspect the presence of more than one 10 of hearts. The other cards are turned over to show that the other eight cards are all blank. This one I really love.

These two booklets are both worthy of an honored place on your bookshelf. They won't take you nearly as long to read as other magic books but this is all meat and no fat. Do yourself a favor and start you Impuzzibilities collection today.
Illusion77
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Thanks for your review!
Illusion77
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
Has Jim said how many there will ultimately be in this series?
canaday
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of canaday
I believe there are 10 at present. Sorry, but I have no info on future releases. The man never seems to sleep so I am sure there will be more.
Illusion77
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Illusion77
A great series, hopefully there will be more.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Devilish Impuzzibilities and Bewildering Impuzzibilities - Jim Steinmeyer - (A Magic Portal review) (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL