The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Poor Man’s Remote Control Sound Cue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Wow, this is an old thread. Anyone have any updates?

How about some of the new RF remotes for the iPods? Have you seen or tried the "Monster iEZ Click" remote for iPods? The description sounds good, and I believe they make them that will work with most iPods, including the Nanos.

Here's the manufacturer's description:

• Wirelessly controls your iPod without tangled wires or bulky add-ons.

• Controls for On/Off, Play/Pause, Volume, Track Skip, Hold and Previous/Next Playlist.

• Reliable RF Receiver plugs into iPod Dock Connector.

• RF (radio frequency) signal enables use through clothes, bags, and even walls!

• Oversized buttons for no-look control; easy to use even with gloves on.

• Removable Belt Clip and Elastic Wrist Strap let you wear the iEZClick just about anywhere: handlebars, pack straps, etc.

• Rugged weather-resistant design is ideal for outdoor use.

The easy-to-use, oversized buttons and the removeable belt clip and wrist strap sound pretty cool.

How about the iPod itself? Have some of the problem issues (such as freeze ups) been cleared up with the newer generation iPods?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Neznarf
View Profile
Inner circle
NY then AZ now
1812 Posts

Profile of Neznarf
Don't know about the POOR MAN but here a new offering:

http://www.pro-magic.com/shop/product.ph......0&page=1
"Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain."
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3726 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
With this unit, there's apparently an optional magic wand remote and a THUMB TIP 3-button remote. Sounds like the gadgets we used to use in my morning radio days for the sound effects (aka: fart noises) during the show. Technology wasn't that great back then, however.

Steve
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1412 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I use this program and like it and am using the Beta. I have some problems with the exporting to WMA. The plug in/add on does not seem to work. Oh I get a WMA but it will not play. MP3 does work as well as wav.
I needed to convert some tapes to digital and Audacity takes out the hiss rather nicely. I also just cut three songs together from a CD that at one time I made by electronic splicing with two tape machines. Man have times changed....
Audacity works well once you play around with it to make smooth edits. For most the free program will do the job and toss them a few bucks if you get something out of it.

Quote:
On 2005-07-20 10:44, Drs_Res wrote:
You can get Audacity for free to record and edit.
Go here:
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1412 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Are you really more than 50-75 feet from your ipod to have to move closer or does this unit not really get the 50-75 feet range as they claim on their website?
What is the reliability at 12-20 feet? You must have a reason you felt you had to walk closer to your ipod if the remote does not care 50 feet. Let us know what the actual range has been. Thanks
Quote:
On 2005-06-08 14:29, Avocat wrote:

I've found that the RemoteRemote2 works wonderfully. I get around the range problem by timing my routines so I'm close to the iPod when I change tracks (which I have to be anyway, since it's also my "applause area

Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1412 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
I just picked up a DLO Tunestik at Marshall's.(USA store that sells buy out on cloths, shoes some toys and sometimes boxed gifty things like this item. It is also the same company as TJ MAXX and you will find the same merchandise in both.)

This is an older model bit it does work with Ipod touch and Nano 4g and anything below. Only $20 On line they still go for more. While not your high end the little RF remote might interest some party performers.

It is powered by Ijet but different. Yes on some it will block your headphone jack but many say you want to use the line level signal by using a dock cable to RCA.

The Tunestik has a pass through port so you can still charge, dock or cable while this thing is plugged into the dock connector.

DLO Tunestk is really sold as an FM transmitter to play music from the ipod through your car stereo or home receiver (geared more towards a car with steering wheel cradle to hold the remote included.
This sell for $45-55. The only addition in the new one that I can see is that the remote as an lcd screen. The listed range is the same. So the extra LCD will help you very little.

Remote as control for track back track forward, play/pause, volume up and volume down as well as the ipod back light and the tuner button for the FM transmit.

The remote is small thin and what some might call KEY CHAIN size. It has one LED that lights when you hit the button.

As far as the FM transmitting, it is poor. Even in the country the unit had to be near the receier or antenna. My hand brushing on the Tunestik would even block some of the signal. I hear many of these types of devices do poorly due to FCC regulation of broadcast strength.

But that is not why I picked one up. I wanted to control the ipod nano via RF remote.

Specifications state the max range is 25 feet. This will disappoint some of the pros out there but the title of the topic is addressing the lower cost solutions.

My tests showed that one can get 25 feet with line of site to the device and out of pocket.
With the remote in the pocket. you can get some reliable results at 15-16 feet.
The remote to response from the ipod was near instant until you are at its max range. Above 15 feet I would not get a response at times with a quick push of the button. This was not the case at 15 feet or under. A more firmm, the longer push would work well thus there will be a learning curve if you are at 15 feet or more to how long you hve to push it.
Also in the pocket, there was some difference, at the further distances to the angle of the remote. Depending how it was pointing it worked better.
The test were now indoors and out. Yes it will go around corners and such but then you must stick in that 12-15 foot range.

I am really not sure why we magicians try to hide the fact that we are controlling the music. If this is not an issue, the remote is smaller than the average palm and not a distraction to pick up and have in open air to get the distance.
One could put it on a hold out and just bring it to and and out of site after the quick click. I have done this.

However I see nothing wrong putting some industrial velcro on the back and making a belt clip. Just put it on the side facing your PA and click as you turn. Who really cares if they know it is you. It is more important that the music changes on cue rather than how clever you are in clicking your heals or getting your hand in your pocket.

The Volume control on the Tunestik was only tested with the FM transmission. It is not controlling the actual ipod volume but what it is broadcasting via the FM broadcast. I am not sure if you use line level from the pass through if the volume control on the remote will still work. One way around it would be to get a small digital FM radio and tune it in. Since the pod will be next to the little radio one could FM broadcast to it if the volume as a must. As I stated, I am not sure if you go through the pass through port if the Tunestik will have any control over the volume since with line level you can not control the volume either like you can with the head phone jack.
Or for that price maybe someone will be brave and crack open the tune stick to see if there is any space to build in a pass through for the head phone.

However if you have an different ipod than the nano and some others, you might still have the use of your headphone jack which then I would say you will not have any volume control via the Tunestik remote if you have the headphone to RCA cable hooked in.

SO for $20 some of you out there might want to give it a shot. At that price you can look past some of its drawbacks. I might be just enough for your situation. You also might find it for less on line but not by much after postage. At least at a Marshall's/TJMAX you can return it if you open the package nicely.
MaxfieldsMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Instead of practicing, I made
2989 Posts

Profile of MaxfieldsMagic
Quote:
On 2008-10-19 12:43, Neznarf wrote:
Don't know about the POOR MAN but here a new offering:

http://www.pro-magic.com/shop/product.ph......0&page=1

I like the basic idea of this system, but the technology looks a little out of date already - specifically, SD cards seem to be on their way out, no? For the price of this unit, I'd definitely want one that could accept audio files directly from a computer, or operated off of a thumb drive rather than an SD card (or even in addition to the SD card). The coolest thing about this system is the clandestine nature of some of the optional transmitters, but the TT and wand transmitters don't even come with the basic package, I can't see walking around for any length of time with a marker pen in hand, and you still don't have any speakers. For the same $1,000, you could buy an iPod, remote, and a set of powered Roland PA speakers with an iPod plug-in and tripod legs.
Now appearing nightly in my basement.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1412 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
Well micro SD are not out yet. What is a thumb drive? USB drive? mini SD cards are the size of a thumb nail and have high capacity now. Many come with an SD adapter.
JohntheMagician
View Profile
Regular user
Mechanicsburg, PA
157 Posts

Profile of JohntheMagician
Ok it's Feb 2009 - 3/4 of the items listed are no longer made or available.

So I need a sound solution for my Children’s act. I have a nice laptop available and an Apollo PA system what do you all recommend as a low cost {under $400} solution for remote controlled sound.

Thanks
“The hard must become habit. The habit must become easy. The easy must become beautiful.” ~ Doug Henning
<BR>____________________________________________
<BR>WWW.ILLUSIONDELUSION.COM
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
John,

For programmable PC Remotes you got a few solutions

1) http://www.l3sys.com/keyrf/keyrf.html
About $195.00

2) http://www.krubow.com/Products.htm
About $65.00

3) Talk to Kerry Pollack from Wireless Wizardry. Ask him
about the playing card size receiver and Mp3Tech remotes.
Kerry's team can program their remotes to generate Hotkeys
so you can control Winamp.
Call for pricing.

Then for the best possible audio get an Echo Audio DJ Card.

http://www.echoaudio.com/

Available in Express Card and Type II Cardbus.

Get it TRUST ME, its Highly reviewed and praised, or just waste
your time looking for a better audio card.

G0THIKE
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Someone told me recently that in the recent versions of Winamp, you can reprogram how Winamp responds to keypresses. Which means that you can get an inexpensive RF remote that only sends certain keystrokes, such as for Powerpoint presentations, and make it play the next track in Winamp, stop and fade out, etc.

To find this in the current version of Winamp, hit CTRL - P to open Winamp's preferences, then click on "Global Hotkeys" under General Preferences on the left. Click the "Enabled" checkbox and then you can redefine how the keystrokes the inexpensive remote sends can be reconfigured to make Winamp do what you want.

The drawback is that the inexpensive remotes have much shorter ranges - only about 30 to 35 feet. The Key RF remote will work up to 150 feet. I haven't tried out the Keith Rubow version to see how it works.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1167 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I use an EEE PC with Winamp and built in bluetooth. Irxon Bluetooth keyboard. Reprogram up/down/left/right for play, fade to stop,back to previous song, forward to next song. The number 1 lowers volume, the number 9 raises it. No real need for the volume, but I've got a bunch of extra keys there, anyway.

Use a graphics program to give huge lettering names to the songs, and I have my cue display on the laptop.
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1167 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Quote:
On 2006-12-18 22:30, Stevethomas wrote:
A poor man's remote sound cue is also known as a "girlfriend".

Steve

It seems that the only magicians familiar with that term are the married ones!
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1167 Posts

Profile of magic4545
I just received the Keith Rubow USB Remote, and, I've got to say, it couldn't be any better for a belt mounted remote. All that I can say is awesome! Can't wait to use it!!!! Better than what I expected!!!
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1187 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 13:58, magic4545 wrote:
I just received the Keith Rubow USB Remote, and, I've got to say, it couldn't be any better for a belt mounted remote. All that I can say is awesome! Can't wait to use it!!!! Better than what I expected!!!

Can the remote also kept in the trouserpocket?
What ar the dimensions of the remote?
Waterloophai
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1187 Posts

Profile of Waterloophai
Quote:
On 2010-02-01 13:58, magic4545 wrote:

I have a second question also.
Is it possible to obtain a second remote and if yes: is it possible that the two remotes (programmed in the same way = clones of each other) work simultanuasly?
For example one in your pocket or on your belt and a second one in another place (table or apparatus)
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Email Keith Rubow, I did use 2 remotes about 4 years ago and they worked. They have to be programmed seprately.

Keith is an eletrical/radio engineer- I have been ove his house a few times.

His remote have raised buttons so you can't place them in your trousers (pants).

Keith remotes use WINAMP and his software RFremote.

I would highly advice that you learn how to program the remote using RFremote by heart. Once RFremote lost the settings and I reprogrammed everything in less than 1 minute.

Currently I use the Mp3Tech remote and a cardpack USB receiver. Its expensive but I like it.

G0THIKE
magic4545
View Profile
Inner circle
Jimmy Fingers
1167 Posts

Profile of magic4545
Bill Knight
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
318 Posts

Profile of Bill Knight
I know that this is an old thread but, as a new member of magic Café, can I just thank everyone for their input, you have just saved me a fortune. I used to use a roland sampler for my sound effects but I had to physically press a button on it for each sample. That tied me to wherever it was located and didn't look that magical but now, thanks to technology and very good advice, things are about to go to the next level.

Once again, thank you to everyone who offered advice & opinions, it really helped

Bill
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional
www.magicbill.co.uk
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
903 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Funny thing is that you can get something that will work like the Roland sampler, which plays mp3s from a flash memory card, very inexpensively (under $100.00) now. So you could set up the same sort of system easily if you wanted random access to tracks and didn't mind if people saw you press buttons.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Poor Man’s Remote Control Sound Cue (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL