The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Poor Man’s Remote Control Sound Cue (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
UPDATE: July 19, 2004

WINAMP FOR MAC

File here:
http://download.nullsoft.com/winamp...ampMac-0.71.sit
OR
http://www.download.com/3302-2199-5874677.html

I am don’t have a MAC so I don’t know how the software behaves.

STACKER:

Sometimes when you download multiple DSP effect and plug-in it cause winamp to misbehave, it could be because of software conflicts. The plug-in “Multiple Stacker” will allow you to stack several effects or plug-ins at once without winamp problems. There are also other stackers available, I just use the one I mentioned. Others can be found with a simple search at winamp.com of the term “stacker”

DMX LIGHT SHOW CONTROL:

I discovered a new Plug-in called “DMX 512 Light Show” which controls/ques lights and others with WINAMP per track thru the DMX protocol. I have not tested the plug-in and it is the only DMX winamp plug-in I have noticed. It is currently above my understanding since I don’t do lights for concerts or clubs. The plug-in works with Window 98 and above. Its Free and it might save someone in this Café some money.

However if someone does test it and it works, let us know.

Here is the description of the website:

DMX-512 is the Lighting industry standard protocol to control intelligent lights, smoke machines, strobos, dimmers and more... With this Plug-In add-on by Manuel Martin based upon the original program and interface called DMXDONGLE and DMXDESK9 made by Kristof Nys (that was so kind to open the source code http://users.skynet.be/kristofnys/) you will have total control of your DMX-512 staff and total synchronization with music and video thanks to WinAmp. If WinAmp can play it, you can add to your music or video playback...lights, motor control, pyrotechnics and anything that you can control with your DMX-512 dimmer.

NOTE:
Go to:
http://users.skynet.be/kristofnys/
That page contains schematics and software to build your own cheap 64 channel DMX 512 printerport interface.It also contains the schematics for a 4-way DMX booster / splitter and a 12 channel DMX flasher.These designs are based on Microchip Pic 16F84 microcontrollers and very easy to build
Go to:
http://webs.ono.com/usr044/MegaTech/index.htm (Manuel Martin’s Site)

He designed the plug-in and will show you how to make a 256 Channel DMX. And has other valuable information.
MagicalPirate
View Profile
Special user
Shamokin, PA
828 Posts

Profile of MagicalPirate
GOTHIKE:

Tried the plug-in search for WPT on winamp.com and it came back with Sorry, your search returned no results. Did they discontinue the file or did I do something wrong.

Martin Smile
Martin Blakley, CSH, DASH, CMSA
http://www.thehypnoguy.com/HYPNORESOURCES
http://www.docgrayson.com/
How To Sell Anything Online
http://tub.bz/?r=1z
Copyright to my own words retained 100%.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
MagiciaPirate,

I e-mailed the WPT plugin to your account. Sometimes WINAMP.com is clogged with traffic and the search feature messes up, I think that is what is happening.

G0thike

WINAMP SEARCH FEATURE

So I messed around with the search feature of winamp that is located in the upper right hand on the site. To be able to search for plug-ins you have to select PLUG-IN from the drop down menu next to the SEARCH lettering and hit the GO button but leave the FOR box blank. That’ll take you to the plug-ins page. Kinda weird, but it is how it works.

Now when your in the plugin page, it will have other features to the left side bar such as DSP, General, Most Downloaded and other. Now when you type WPT or any other plug-in name in the search box and plugin is selected in the drop down menu and you hit GO, it will show the searched plugin as a result.

G0THIKE

I got a few Private Messages from people asking about the plugins I have mentioned, they are sometimes hard to find. So I created a ZIP folder with the plugins that I will e-mail to anyone that e-mails me.

g0thike@aol.com

Download the ZIP, if you don't trust me, scan it for viruses then read my above posts about the plugins and use them.

G0THIKE
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Great work and kudos to you guys. We all know that the future is in this form of control rather than a dedicated system.

Remember the Brother word processors? - now your computer
Portable DVD player - Now Laptops
FAX machines - Computers
CD duplicators $$$ Dedicated - Now Computer
Polaroid Camera - Computer and printer
Slide Projector - Computer PowerPoint (best example)

Show Music Controller--Now (Haas, Gothike) - Laptop!

I saw a demo of someone who is doing the music on a laptop splitscreen with show dialog and jokes repeatedly scrolling on the top side with the bottom screen (music cue) held like a web frame. It was a teleprompter and MP3 player made in this configuration.
Click on an effect (sword cabinet) and the music starts as you are fed lines that may be forgotten. How cool is that.
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
Interad
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of Interad
Thanks to GOTHIKE for the great info. I've got my system up and running. I found a place to find the Next on Stop plug-in (I couldn't locate it on Winamp's site) as well as other plug-ins. You can find them at http://www.daz.ne1.net
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
E-mail me at

G0thike@aol.com

I can send you all the plugins that I have talked about in a zip file.

G0thike

WPT plug
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=94688

Enhancer Sound Processor
http://www.i-adrian.home.ro/

Next On Stop
http://www.nunzioweb.com/daz/nos.html
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
Since you guys have the experience:

Have any of you used the dedicated systems and migrated to this way?
If so, what do you like better in this computer configuration than the VSM Virtual Soundman, the awesome Stagecue or the cream of the crop Showtech?
Remember ANY of your posts here can be Googled by your customers and Clients. Just entering your name in Google can bring up your negative comments that stay for years!
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Glod,

Here is my experience, I have used the ShowTech but have not used the VSM or StageCue. The reason I migrated to the laptop system is several factors:

1) It cost way less, actually hundreds of dollars less. Compared to the ShowTech thousands less.
2) I am comfortable with WinAmp and have been using it for years.
3) I am sorta computer literate, well enough to set my laptop up.
4) I use the laptop screen as a Screen Prompter. I could look at the screen and know what is next in my show. Or remind me of a joke.
5) Winamp has a Equaliser to adjust sound. Which fixes the sound. Saves you cash on an equalizer.
6) I can control DMX lights to sound cues. But I don’t have DMX controllers.
7) WinAmp “plugins” can make an MP3 sound almost CD quality and other options.
8) I have ALL my music, about 50 tracks, in easy to do and edit, on the spot PLAYLISTS
9) I can hook up a Remote Control to it, an RF or IR, depending on my budjet.
10) If I want I can hook up a LCD to it. I still havn’t done that, but I can.
11) Can set-up the CUE behavior to whatever I want. Make it STOP at the end of a track and Forward to next track but Not plat it as an example.
12) I can disconnect the remote receiver and connect an EARTHMATE GPS ($130 retail) receiver, which will turn my laptop into a GPS system, in case I get lost.
13) I can hook-up a Cell Phone to it, log on to the net, check my e-mail, driving directions. Connect to the MagicCafe.
14) And Others

My advice is this, convert your music to MP3’s, download WinAmp 5, buy that Creative Remote IR and use it on your regular Desktop computer and play around with it for a while.

If you like it, then buy a laptop and a RF remote. The total cost for this experiment would be around $10.00 for the remote and your time and effort. Just read my posts on this thread. If you hate it then you only spent $10.00. If you need the Plug-ins just E-mail me.

Currently I just ordered a RF remote and I will post my review.

G0THIKE
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
363 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
OK - I have this "whacky" idea.

Isn't there a "Portable MP3 Player" or combination MP3 player/CD player with a small remote control?

Hell of a lot cheaper and easier than all of this stuff. Edit your music tracks on your computer, burn a cd, and voila! And for maybe 75 bucks! Anybody recommend a specific model with the best remote control device for our evil purposes?

ATPT
------------

We could have been practicing!
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Ashkenazi-

The iCueiPod doe this- but not for bucks...

Cheers,
KD
No longer taking Private messages , thank you.
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1048 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
What kinda of laptop can you get for $60?

Can you use the RF remote controller to work with any portable CD player?
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Hello- "itsmagic"

Yes "the RF remote" will work with any Sony CD player that has a headphone socket installed- which is almost anyone out there now...

KD
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
We are very excited about the iCue Kelly!
Because he can't blow his own horn in this section and I am in no way connected with him go over to:

http://www.virtualsoundman.com/order.html#LVicueipod.html

It is the long awaited iPod controller from Virtual Soundman. I own and use a competing product called the Stagecue for iPod but still have interest in Kelly's product because it appears to have some of the features of the mini VSM. If you need a Beta-Tester Kelly give me a PM Smile
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
My review of the RF remote on Keith Rubow’s webpage.

So I bought the RF remote from a web page from a guy who sells them to dance groups, I assume he is a break-dancer.

Here is a link to his site:
http://home.earthlink.net/~krubowc4/Products.htm

The website is not the most complicated design and I e-mailed the guy before I ordered it and he answered all my questions very promptly. I had the package in 3 days.

The package comes with software, a receiver and transmitter and advice plus he answers any email questions.

The remote uses some Free software called “IRAssistant”, which had me confused since the remote is RF but it works with RF & IR. It piggy backs on WINAMP. The remote runs on its own battery, the battery should last a few years. The receiver gets its power thru the laptop.

This is how it works in layman’s terms, the buttons on the remote are pressed and IRAssistant generates keystrokes. Keystrokes are keys in your keyboard that are pressed, it is like pressing the keys “Control + P” which in a lot of software is the shortcut to PRINT. So one button can be assigned for whichever functions of WINAMP such as Play, Stop, Pause, Forward, Rewind and others, the remote is fully programmable. In WINAMP they are called HOTKEYS. You have to spend some time learning how to program the remote with IRAssistant but the directions supplied with the remote will help. Any questions just PM me or e-mail Keith Rubow.

ANKLE SWITCH:

I called Kelly from Virtual Soundman and spoke to him on the phone about customizing Keith Rubow’s remote with an ankle switch and he quoted me $800.00

I then called Joe Leskar and he quoted me $100.00. A $700.00 savings.

Ashkenazi,

You can always get a CD player boombox, they do come with a IR remote control. My advice was for a cheaper alternative than the VSM, ShowTech and other MiniDisk piggy backers.

ItsMagic,

I am not sure what deal you can get for $60.00, you might be able to score a decent laptop on EBAY. My current laptop is an old Dell 133Mhz, running Windows 95 and it works well with WINAMP and my purposes.

Be careful on EBAY though and read the description of the products sold. They sometimes sell Laptops with No harddrives or other components.

Any other info just ask me or Jeff Haas.
Tim Zager
View Profile
Loyal user
Kansas City
222 Posts

Profile of Tim Zager
Quote:
On 2005-02-19 16:27, Majiloon wrote:
Hello- "itsmagic"

Yes "the RF remote" will work with any Sony CD player that has a headphone socket installed- which is almost anyone out there now...

KD

Hi Kelly, I'm not clear what you mean here. Are you talking about *your* remote that works with your VSM systems?

Tim
Make sure your customers never lose your information,
with a Digital Business Card.
Majiloon
View Profile
Regular user
135 Posts

Profile of Majiloon
Thanks Walter(Glod)
We waited on the iPod 4th generation- which incidentally can accompany a laptop- for your shows…
This Poor mans remote is a novel way to accomplish music for your act- I’m sure that everyone can evaluate the practicality of such an idea for themselves. I do, however like the idea of a large screen showing the track number, hmmm

Hi Tim-
Yes- I meant my remote,(while trying not to be obvious)-as well as the Show Tech, and Mini Tech use the same ‘socket interface’ commonly found on these Walkman for the wired remote plug-in along with the headphone- for the CD, MD, and HDD players-
Making for ultra compatibility, durability, portability, and practicality all in one.

I do not recommend a I(infra) R(Red) IR remote- this will not work out doors or on a stage. This is silly advice- as the IR requires line of sight- and carries the signal via light patterns- which becomes completely vulnerable to all manner of light. IR was made for close up (auto) applications, or your living room.
If you were to use IR for your show- then you would stop what you are doing – point- and move toward the receiver until it gets the signal- which completely defeats the purpose of having a “remote control” in the first place.
Whereas R(radio) F(frequency) RF uses omni-directional commands and does not require strange body shapes for reception. But then there is good RF and not so good RF…

Cheers,
Kelly Duro
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Kelly, Glod & others,

As much as I respect your advice on RF remotes, IPods, VSM, and even though it is a Free country. I created this thread as an alternative to the VSM, and others like the StageCue, Showtech. It is meant for the average joe that has a small limited budget. The FX forum has many threads where your advice will be relevant. I did mention this in this thread just read a few posts up.

Secondly I recommended an IR remote to ITSMagic since he is on a budget, which is why I created this thread. He is asking how good is a $60.00 dollar laptop. He also wants a CD player remote. Common sense will tell you he has no money, no dinero.

My advice it may be novel but it works. The laptop tells me more than track numbers, I name all my music mp3’s after the effects such as levitation, dove act, subtrunk, etc. Just read the whole thread and you can see what is possible with a laptop and more.

The remote I recommend is from Keith Rubow for $60.00 and I found out about his products thru Jeff Haas webpage. His webpage is the basis of this thread.

Kelly’s VSM is not a “Poorman’s Remote Control Sound Cue”, it is a $700 VSM plus $150 for a minidisk or $250 for an IPOD. My figures may be off.

Anyhow, please, if you can read the title of this thread. If you have anything valuable to say about the laptop system please post. Such as your experience, likes and dislikes, advice on software, Winamp plugins, etc,
glodmagic
View Profile
Special user
USA
501 Posts

Profile of glodmagic
G0thika
Sorry to get off topic. I am sincerely interested in the laptop and INEXPENSIVE MP3 player remote solutions thread and did not mean to contaminate it.
g0thike
View Profile
Special user
722 Posts

Profile of g0thike
Glod,

No problem, I just didn’t want a bunch of posts from people saying “I have the Showtech” or “I love the VSM”, or “I only use the StageCue”.

I am not knocking their products, if you have the cash go ahead and search the MagicCafe for topics. Maybe you’ll buy one.

I feel some people that read this thread will see the ideas, download WINAMP, get the remote and off they go.

In the other hand some people that are not that computer literate will turn away into another direction.

Bottom line is you can download WINAMP for FREE, spend $10.00 bucks on a IR remote from Creative Labs, and you can “Test Drive” controlling cues with a regular desktop computer.

Then if you feel this something you want, then buy a laptop and the RF remote I recommend.

G0THIKE
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5696 Posts

Profile of Regan
Someone asked above about an RF remote for a minidisc player. I'm still not clear on this issue. Is there a way to buy a remote that will controll the minidisc funtions. I am talking about the whole VSM or similar system, just a wireless remote that would replace the wired remote unit on Sony minidisc player/recorders. Until I can afford a VSM or Stagecue, I would just like to have a remote that would start and stop songs.

Is this possible?

Thanks,

Regan
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Poor Man’s Remote Control Sound Cue (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.44 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL