The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence (25 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2282 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
Finally, this is out!! I wonder how it is different from other versions on the market. Anyone bought it at Blackpool? Any reviews?

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/16929

A complete sell out at the Blackpool Magic Convention. The trick that set the world on fire at Magic Live. You’ve seen it go viral on every social media platform. Now you can finally perform it for yourself. This isn’t a simple card vanish. While you are holding just the smallest portion of the card it vanishes from the bottom up. From the mind that brought you Smooth, Revamp, Evolve, and some of the greatest gimmicks of all time; this is the single most visual card vanish the world has ever seen. The original method is finally available for the very first time. This is The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence.

This vanish is insanely visual and crazy easy. You receive a custom design gimmick that allows you to hold a card by the smallest corner, and then with a wave of your hand it vanishes from the bottom up. Your audience actually sees a portion of the card still visible, floating in the air while the bottom of it is nowhere to be seen. The gimmick is incredibly durable, and easy to use. Great for social media, but can also be performed in the real world to get jaw dropping reactions. As a bonus, you also receive a special gimmick that, with a little extra prep work, will allow you to open your fingers after the vanish happens.

This is the vanish that sparked a revolution in cards doing a disappearing act. This is the method everyone else guessed at. This is the disappearance you’ve been waiting for. This is The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence.
Magicalos
View Profile
Elite user
496 Posts

Profile of Magicalos
Looks great love his work! anyone have any thoughts on this yet in terms of actual walk around (ie is it loud etc)?
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4146 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
IT looks like a fun effect for social media but I do not know if it would work well live. You are left, I assume, with a ro..ed up card in your hand. If you can ditch it smoothly, then it might work well live.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
evkatz
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of evkatz
I don't know. The fingers squeezed together somewhat unnaturally make this an unconvincing illusion, in my opinion. The spectators' immediate thought seems like it has to be -- it's somehow hidden behind those compressed fingers. Apologies in advance if I missed something
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
"A STUNNING visual vanish of a playing card **unlike anything you've seen before**."

I've seen Will Tsai do the exact same thing (but better) years ago.

And then SansMinds released Alexy Sviridkin's Godly Vanish as an instant download. It was Alexy's version of Will's vanish, which looks identical to this new release.

How is this different?
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
685 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Will Tsai’s version can’t be accomplished without the aid of video editing techniques.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, Phatmeat wrote:
Will Tsai’s version can’t be accomplished without the aid of video editing techniques.

I mentioned Will Tsai's version because the ad says we've never seen anything like it (untrue) and because it's what made Alexy create their version (which looks identical in effect and method as this new release).

I know Will's version isn't the same method, never said - or even remotely suggested - that is was. I also wouldn't assume Will's version uses video editing just because you can't wrap your head around how else it could be done. Unless you know for a fact, in which case fair enough.
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Profile of NicholasLawrenceMagic
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, PatrickGregoire wrote:
"A STUNNING visual vanish of a playing card **unlike anything you've seen before**."

I've seen Will Tsai do the exact same thing (but better) years ago.

And then SansMinds released Alexy Sviridkin's Godly Vanish as an instant download. It was Alexy's version of Will's vanish, which looks identical to this new release.

How is this different?

Correction: You seen Will Tsai use video editing, this is NOT acceptable in regards to owning the likeness of the effect, anyone can post an animation or dramatization of a magic trick, this doesn’t make it your magic creation. I was the first to create and post an actual method designed to perform LIVE if you so wish to.. Which if we’re still counting ethics it would then belong to me. As for Alexy’s verison he was directly inspired by my post on Instagram (2018) and like young magicians do, he ran off with it and quickly released a download of a sub-par method. Which I felt extremely disrespected to be quite honest.. it’s like going to a magic show and directly ripping off someone’s original effect and adding it to your show. So with all that said. that’s how it’s different.

All the best!
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2507 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
While I don’t have the gimmick in my hand, having watched the tutorial, I am impressed and this is what I was hoping for. Nicholas is so thorough. I always keep in mind the rule of 3. You wouldn’t just do this trick and stop where all the attention goes to them processing how it’s done. You would transition to another trick in a flow.
With that in mind, hand washing and going for your next trick appears natural. Just my two cents. I laughed when he points out how the Instagrammers mess this up with their version. I didn’t go to Blackpool and this was the one thing I wanted: I’m not disappointed.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:

Correction: You seen Will Tsai use video editing, this is NOT acceptable in regards to owning the likeness of the effect, anyone can post an animation or dramatization of a magic trick, this doesn’t make it your magic creation. I was the first to create and post an actual method designed to perform LIVE if you so wish to.. Which if we’re still counting ethics it would then belong to me. As for Alexy’s verison he was directly inspired by my post on Instagram (2018) and like young magicians do, he ran off with it and quickly released a download of a sub-par method. Which I felt extremely disrespected to be quite honest.. it’s like going to a magic show and directly ripping off someone’s original effect and adding it to your show. So with all that said. that’s how it’s different.

All the best!

Sounds like a sore subject, and I can understand why. I meant no disrespect in my post, I was simply asking if this was any different since it looked the same. I'm surprised the ad copy does a full 180 and claims nothing like it has ever existed instead of telling the true story of how you were essentially ripped off.
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:

All the best!

Sounds like a sore subject, and I can understand why. I meant no disrespect in my post, I was simply asking if this was any different since it looked the same. I'm surprised the ad copy does a full 180 and claims nothing like it has ever existed instead of telling the true story of how you were essentially ripped off.

No disrespect taken friend! I just wanted to inform yourself and others about the truth and history of this effect as it means something to me..

Also, I believe what Penguin is trying to portrait is, nobody did it before I did in 2017. I really appreciate them trying to convey how this all came about and how I was the first to achieve a practical method and giving some praise for that.. We have all seen the many who have replicated the idea and made video tricks for social media after my video was posted but as for an honest and original physical product & method goes.. the statement stands true. There isn’t anything like this on the market today.. if you wish to achieve a mid air vanish I strongly suggest checking out my work on this, between the gimmick design and philosophy behind the teaching of this effect you won’t be disappointed.
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
789 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, MagicBrent wrote:
While I don’t have the gimmick in my hand, having watched the tutorial, I am impressed and this is what I was hoping for. Nicholas is so thorough. I always keep in mind the rule of 3. You wouldn’t just do this trick and stop where all the attention goes to them processing how it’s done. You would transition to another trick in a flow.

Rushing onto another trick doesn't seem like the best solution. Can you give an example of "transitioning to another trick in a flow" that would cause them to not think there was something in your hand
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
685 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
Quote:
I also wouldn't assume Will's version uses video editing just because you can't wrap your head around how else it could be done. Unless you know for a fact, in which case fair enough.

https://youtu.be/_dSp_f0f9gE
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Quote:

I said unless you know for a fact.

Sharing a video of a guy who's guessing its video editing is not knowing for a fact.

Plus, that video is kinda laughable. It's not impossible to come up with possible methods to the tricks the guy claims have to be done with video editing. I have some theories for most of them.

Unless Will Tsai or someone who was there while shooting says/said it was video editing (which very well may be/have been the case), nobody knows for sure. But it's just so much easier to assume and helps us sleep better at night.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
Quote:

I said unless you know for a fact.

Sharing a video of a guy who's guessing its video editing is not knowing for a fact.

Plus, that video is kinda laughable. It's not impossible to come up with possible methods to the tricks the guy claims have to be done with video editing. I have some theories for most of them.

Unless Will Tsai or someone who was there while shooting says/said it was video editing (which very well may be/have been the case), nobody knows for sure. But it's just so much easier to assume and helps us sleep better at night.

Captain Disillusion is not just "a guy," he is a video manipulation and CGI expert, and he provides conclusive evidence for all of his claims. There are no experts who know more than this guy - his channel is anything but "laughable." He's internationally renowned for his work.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, AutarchicFlux wrote:

Captain Disillusion is not just "a guy," he is a video manipulation and CGI expert, and he provides conclusive evidence for all of his claims. There are no experts who know more than this guy - his channel is anything but "laughable."

I said he was a guy, not "just a guy". And prove me wrong that anyone could possibly know FOR SURE that it's video editing unless Will Tsai or anyone who knows for a fact actually admits it. I don't care how skilled the guy is at video editing, he cannot know for sure. He's just giving his educated guess.
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Elite user
441 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
Quote:

Captain Disillusion is not just "a guy," he is a video manipulation and CGI expert, and he provides conclusive evidence for all of his claims. There are no experts who know more than this guy - his channel is anything but "laughable."

I said he was a guy, not "just a guy". And prove me wrong that anyone could possibly know FOR SURE that it's video editing unless Will Tsai or anyone who knows for a fact actually admits it. I don't care how skilled the guy is at video editing, he cannot know for sure. He's just giving his educated guess.

Did you even watch the video? Video manipulation leaves evidence that can be found and used to prove a case. What you're saying is akin to saying that no one could ever prove that someone committed murder unless the murderer confesses. Watch the video. It PROVES you wrong, beyond a shadow of any doubt.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
2026 Posts

Quote:

Did you even watch the video? Video manipulation leaves evidence that can be found and used to prove a case. What you're saying is akin to saying that no one could ever prove that someone committed murder unless the murderer confesses. Watch the video. It PROVES you wrong, beyond a shadow of any doubt.

Yes I watched the video... He shows evidence of possible video editing. He also shows a bunch of clips of tricks that could be done using actual methods but claims they must be using video editing.

And for the record, I DO believe that no one could ever prove that someone committed murder unless the murder confesses. But you can't have justice if you stick to the concept that nobody knows for sure. And so we make educated guesses.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter so I'll just leave this be.
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
685 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
It's not impossible to come up with possible methods as to how this cat appeared from inside this card box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgTdWPq0JU&t=22s
I have some theories for how this could be done [without video editing].

Unless Will Tsai or someone who was there while shooting says/said it was video editing (which very well may be/have been the case), nobody knows for sure. But it's just so much easier to assume and helps us sleep better at night to assume they used video editing to make the cat appear from inside the card box.

And prove me wrong that anyone could possibly know FOR SURE that they used video editing to make the cat appear from inside the card box, unless Will Tsai or anyone who knows for a fact actually admits it.

I need to hear it directly from the horse's mouth in order to know FOR SURE, otherwise it's totally plausible that the cat appeared from inside the card box without the use of CGI. I have some theories.
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
Regular user
138 Posts

Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, Phatmeat wrote:
It's not impossible to come up with possible methods as to how this cat appeared from inside this card box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgTdWPq0JU&t=22s
I have some theories for how this could be done [without video editing].

Unless Will Tsai or someone who was there while shooting says/said it was video editing (which very well may be/have been the case), nobody knows for sure. But it's just so much easier to assume and helps us sleep better at night to assume they used video editing to make the cat appear from inside the card box.

And prove me wrong that anyone could possibly know FOR SURE that they used video editing to make the cat appear from inside the card box, unless Will Tsai or anyone who knows for a fact actually admits it.

I need to hear it directly from the horse's mouth in order to know FOR SURE, otherwise it's totally plausible that the cat appeared from inside the card box without the use of CGI. I have some theories.

I was there in the restaurant while Herman was shooting the video, it’s CGI.. Will just drops the card into his lap and Herman edits the video later, I also saw how he edited the video too.. It’s actually super impressive what you can do with Adobe After Effects!

Believe it, or Not… The Cat from card box was actually real, I was there for that shoot too. Kinda inhumane though, I walked off set once I seen how they were cramming Fluffy into that card box! I won’t stand for Faked magic or Animal abuse… period.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence (25 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL