The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Phatmeat
View Profile
Special user
Silver Spring, Maryland
685 Posts

Profile of Phatmeat
😂
EZrhythm
View Profile
Inner circle
Only three EZ payments for a PDF of my
1531 Posts

Profile of EZrhythm
LOL
How many magicians does it take to change a lightbulb? Regardless, for magicians darkness is a time for d'lite.
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1984 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, Phatmeat wrote:
It's not impossible to come up with possible methods as to how this cat appeared from inside this card box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgTdWPq0JU&t=22s
I have some theories for how this could be done [without video editing].

Now you're just being disrespectful, what I'm saying is true. We all just choose to believe certain people. For example, I choose to believe Nicholas when he says he was there and knows it's definitely CGI - but I can't know for sure he's telling the truth. It's incredibly semantic but it comes from always seeing people claim "FAKE!" when they just can't figure something out.

And for the record, that cat thing *could* have been done by having the cat hidden behind a black panel with a release mechanism that drops him when he shakes the box. But through context, I choose to believe it was video editing.

Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:

I was there in the restaurant while Herman was shooting the video, it’s CGI.. Will just drops the card into his lap and Herman edits the video later, I also saw how he edited the video too.. It’s actually super impressive what you can do with Adobe After Effects!

Thank you, now we can all just move on.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2096 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
One question from me please: should you want to end clean, is it possible to do so by using "usual" techniques or would that be challenging (given size of the gimmick, the way it's constructed etc.)? I'm thinking using either sl*****g or a p**l, I wouldn't use a t***t given the heat on the hand... (or maybe a reverse one but still...). I think I've seen somwehere that it's m******c? (so that could potentially be an option?) Thanks!
Ben
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, Phatmeat wrote:
It's not impossible to come up with possible methods as to how this cat appeared from inside this card box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgTdWPq0JU&t=22s
I have some theories for how this could be done [without video editing].

Now you're just being disrespectful, what I'm saying is true. We all just choose to believe certain people. For example, I choose to believe Nicholas when he says he was there and knows it's definitely CGI - but I can't know for sure he's telling the truth. It's incredibly semantic but it comes from always seeing people claim "FAKE!" when they just can't figure something out.

And for the record, that cat thing *could* have been done by having the cat hidden behind a black panel with a release mechanism that drops him when he shakes the box. But through context, I choose to believe it was video editing.

Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:

I was there in the restaurant while Herman was shooting the video, it’s CGI.. Will just drops the card into his lap and Herman edits the video later, I also saw how he edited the video too.. It’s actually super impressive what you can do with Adobe After Effects!

Thank you, now we can all just move on.

Sorry, but the statement that all we can do is believe certain people cannot be allowed to stand. This is radically and fundamentally untrue, and what it ignores is rather frightening in its implications. You seem to be suggesting that evidence is not a thing, or that evidence cannot be used to draw reliable conclusions. This sort of worldview is profoundly dangerous. You can go on just "believing who you want to believe," but some of us actually understand the concept of evidence, and how it figures into the process of critical thinking. NOW, we can move on.
MagicBrent
View Profile
Inner circle
2495 Posts

Profile of MagicBrent
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, Joe Roberts wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, MagicBrent wrote:
While I don’t have the gimmick in my hand, having watched the tutorial, I am impressed and this is what I was hoping for. Nicholas is so thorough. I always keep in mind the rule of 3. You wouldn’t just do this trick and stop where all the attention goes to them processing how it’s done. You would transition to another trick in a flow.

Rushing onto another trick doesn't seem like the best solution. Can you give an example of "transitioning to another trick in a flow" that would cause them to not think there was something in your hand

There is no rush. Clean up and transition to another trick would be the same as ditching a gaff of torn and restored card after the restoration and you just smoothly go into another one.
stanz
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of stanz
Here's an analysis of some of Will's magic from one of my favourite YouTubers - Captain Disillusion. He takes apart fake videos on the Internet, including Will's vanishing card (among others). Watch it and see why Will couldn't have done it live:

https://youtu.be/_dSp_f0f9gE

Kudos, Nick, for creating this effect for real.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4145 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Some of the comments on this thread say that it is obvious that something is hidden in his hand. These people don't have any magic inspiration. It seems to me that this effect would be perfect in combination with another effect. For example, they mentally select any card in the deck. You pull a single card out of your pocket. You turn the card invisible. you place the invisible card into the deck and show their thought of card is the only one turned around.

If you do that, you can easily ditch "the dirt".

Some people in magic are SO LAZY. If you can't think creatively get out of magic.

KJ
magicinsight
View Profile
Inner circle
4133 Posts

Profile of magicinsight
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, 1KJ wrote:
Some of the comments on this thread say that it is obvious that something is hidden in his hand. These people don't have any magic inspiration. It seems to me that this effect would be perfect in combination with another effect. For example, they mentally select any card in the deck. You pull a single card out of your pocket. You turn the card invisible. you place the invisible card into the deck and show their thought of card is the only one turned around.

Some people in magic are SO LAZY. If you can't think creatively get out of magic.

KJ

Very good idea.
Michael
“Belief matters more than truth. Every moment, belief in imaginary things alters lives while truth sits unnoticed and waits.”
—Hakim, Loreweaver
PoumKa
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of PoumKa
Quote:

KJ

Totally right !

Magic is not the props, it is what you can create with the props. A magic... moment !
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1902 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:

Rushing onto another trick doesn't seem like the best solution. Can you give an example of "transitioning to another trick in a flow" that would cause them to not think there was something in your hand

It's called "routining."
Joe Roberts
View Profile
Special user
785 Posts

Profile of Joe Roberts
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, Ray Haining wrote:
Quote:

It's called "routining."

Please give an example of that. All of the heat is on the dirty hand. How do you use "routining" to take the focus off that hand?
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2891 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:

KJ

Exactly. This is just one of countless great ideas a performer could utilize. It amazes me how little effort people want to put into something. The whole point of the art is using your imagination. Magic is a solution to a problem, and some just expect to be spoon-fed.

I think this is a very cool and visual piece that would play wonderfully into a larger routine. As for the gimmick, there are topits, the work of Slydini, sleeving techniques...the list goes on and on.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2891 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Mar 1, 2022, MagicFed wrote:
This is not good. The exact place they assume the card is hiding is exactly where it is hiding.

Good for "the kids" and their tikgrams, useless for the real world as clips from Blackpool show.

I would recommend adding some positive commentary on the Café as well, if you want to make a good introduction to the community.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Tentatively putting my toe in the water here . . . I just spent a few minutes playing with the Tenkai palm in a mirror and on video and it seems like you can do do a similar miraculous card vanish and retrieval (or vice versa). It's a given that in the Tenkai that the card is in the hand (palmed) and it is undeniably angle sensitive. I'm just musing about comparisons of this gimmick/method with the Tenkai palm or any other pure card sleights vs. this product. If anyone wants to direct me through the myriad and byzantine byways of the Café to a thread where something like this is better discussed, feel free to point that out.

For those who aren't familiar with the Tenkai palm, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0w1NwBO1g
AutarchicFlux
View Profile
Elite user
417 Posts

Profile of AutarchicFlux
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2022, Forza Azzurri wrote:
Tentatively putting my toe in the water here . . . I just spent a few minutes playing with the Tenkai palm in a mirror and on video and it seems like you can do do a similar miraculous card vanish and retrieval (or vice versa). It's a given that in the Tenkai that the card is in the hand (palmed) and it is undeniably angle sensitive. I'm just musing about comparisons of this gimmick/method with the Tenkai palm or any other pure card sleights vs. this product. If anyone wants to direct me through the myriad and byzantine byways of the Café to a thread where something like this is better discussed, feel free to point that out.

For those who aren't familiar with the Tenkai palm, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L0w1NwBO1g

The benefit of this particular product is the ability to make the card vanish in a smooth, gradual motion, with the bottom of the card disappearing little by little in a smooth motion. This is not possible with a tenkai palm. There are a million ways to vanish a card, but this product allows you to vanish it *in the particular visual way shown in the trailer.*
CardGuyMike
View Profile
Special user
578 Posts

Profile of CardGuyMike
Shin Lim has also done an instant vanish of a card using an extremely angle sensitive technique. And of course you can vanish any small object with a p**l. But I think this slower, gradual vanish looks more magical.
Magic KL
View Profile
Inner circle
2251 Posts

Profile of Magic KL
I saw videos of the Penguin guys who performed live at Blackpool in front of real people. They look really good!
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2891 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
The Tenkai is of course angle sensitive...I do it with a coaster as part of a manipulation routine. Billiard balls, card productions, the vanish or production of a Sharpie or other objects...they all can use similar handling.

I think what's holding people up who may not be as familiar with building a routine is that their wheels stop spinning as soon as the card vanishes, so they think it looks awkward. In reality, you're not going to do the move and then just stand there with your hand held awkwardly. You keep moving, reach for something else, etc. Watch any cup and ball routine done with a wand; the wand isn't just there for show. It serves a purpose, and the same can be said for whatever move comes after this card vanishes.
Forza Azzurri
View Profile
New user
84 Posts

Profile of Forza Azzurri
Thanks for the insights, Andrew. My intention in my original post was to see if there were things worth discussing about alternatives. Your comments actually nudge me to consider acquiring Nicholas' "Vanishing Card," but in the context of part of a fuller routine. Where would such a vanish make a special impact in the context of a fuller routine? Thanks for the reminder, Andrew.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL