The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence (22 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
LankyHobo
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Like 1KJ I also think this would be great with an invisible deck and provides the cover too.

I was also thinking it might be good with an index. So you could maybe hold up the gimmick card and then say to name any card, then you’ve got that copped from the index and then do a switch when ‘vanishing’ the card as though you were turning it around to show it’s their named card. And you hand it out with the dirty hand. You then have plenty of time to ditch it and there’s no heat on it anyway since as far as the spec is concerned there was only one card in play the whole time. Just a thought. Haven’t tried it.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2891 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2022, Forza Azzurri wrote:
Thanks for the insights, Andrew. My intention in my original post was to see if there were things worth discussing about alternatives. Your comments actually nudge me to consider acquiring Nicholas' "Vanishing Card," but in the context of part of a fuller routine. Where would such a vanish make a special impact in the context of a fuller routine? Thanks for the reminder, Andrew.

I think I nudged myself with that post as well! I don't know exactly where in my act I'd use they yet, but I love stuff that's visual and this immediately caught my eye. Perhaps there's a card revelation at the end of a set, this is switched in and used as if to say "that's the end of the card stuff!" The fun thing about items like these is they get my creativity flowing!
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Hmm. I was thinking that use Steve Bedwell's Re-Boxed, have the gimmicked card on top of the Re-Boxed card gimmick, take it off the top of the deck like you were taking a single card and place it exposed in one of your pockets so people can see it, put the deck magically back into the box and then vanish the last card with the vanishing card. The only thing is you're still left with a problem on what to do with the gimmick card. Perhaps if you had a sharpie out you could grab the sharpie and put it away in your pocket along with the gimmicked card.


Just starting to brainstorm.....
PatrickGregoire
View Profile
Inner circle
1984 Posts

Profile of PatrickGregoire
Could you use this gimmick to do a visual colour change? Hold a double (with the gimmick at the front), wipe it and it gradually changes colour. If this is doable, you could transform it into any object you'd like that you can hide behind the gimmick. This way, you end with an object still in your hands so there's less heat on the dirty hand and you can keep your hand natural by holding the object or hand it out to get rid of the heat.

Could you use it in a card to pocket routine? There's a moment in the classic routine where you dip the card into your pocket to gesture that it'll appear back in the pocket, but that's when you switch it for the gimmick, visually vanish it at your fingertips, and then turn and have them reach into your pocket as you ditch the gimmick somewhere else while they're occupied.

Just some ideas.
ULockJustice
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
198 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
Quote:
On Mar 3, 2022, PatrickGregoire wrote:
Could you use this gimmick to do a visual colour change? Hold a double (with the gimmick at the front), wipe it and it gradually changes colour. If this is doable, you could transform it into any object you'd like that you can hide behind the gimmick. This way, you end with an object still in your hands so there's less heat on the dirty hand and you can keep your hand natural by holding the object or hand it out to get rid of the heat.

Could you use it in a card to pocket routine? There's a moment in the classic routine where you dip the card into your pocket to gesture that it'll appear back in the pocket, but that's when you switch it for the gimmick, visually vanish it at your fingertips, and then turn and have them reach into your pocket as you ditch the gimmick somewhere else while they're occupied.

Just some ideas.


I started doing this precise color change with the gimmick at Blackpool and it looked pretty good. I want to refine my handling a little bit more before I post a video. This looks shockingly good.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
Arthur Chiu
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Arthur Chiu
Without doing the hand washing technique/ditching, can you incorporate BA so that your right hand ends clean? Of course this would be for social media situation
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6479 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2022, Arthur Chiu wrote:
Without doing the hand washing technique/ditching, can you incorporate BA so that your right hand ends clean? Of course this would be for social media situation


Yes, there is a black art piece included in the package to use after the vanish. I think if you're wearing black the extra piece included will actually help even during a live performance.
Arthur Chiu
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Arthur Chiu
Thanks RNK! Anyone has a video of using this with BA? Would be great to see it
Lonnie_Lyerla
View Profile
Elite user
449 Posts

Profile of Lonnie_Lyerla
How much are windows an issue, if any?
Arthur Chiu
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Arthur Chiu
I saw on the product description, if you DIY an extra thing on the gimmick, you can open up your right hand. Was wondering if anyone got a performance video of that
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of NicholasLawrenceMagic
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2022, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2022, Arthur Chiu wrote:
Without doing the hand washing technique/ditching, can you incorporate BA so that your right hand ends clean? Of course this would be for social media situation


Yes, there is a black art piece included in the package to use after the vanish. I think if you're wearing black the extra piece included will actually help even during a live performance.


For anyone wondering what that Additional gimmick was in their packaging. Yes, that is indeed BA for an extra convincing moment showing between the fingers instantly after the vanish. Though for some reason Penguin hasn’t uploaded the New tutorial we shot last year with the BA taught and also additional bonus ideas using the vanishing card gimmick. Including color changes, other vanish variations and appearing card ideas as well. I hope they upload soon and notify those who picked up a copy!
Arthur Chiu
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Arthur Chiu
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2022, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2022, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2022, Arthur Chiu wrote:
Without doing the hand washing technique/ditching, can you incorporate BA so that your right hand ends clean? Of course this would be for social media situation


Yes, there is a black art piece included in the package to use after the vanish. I think if you're wearing black the extra piece included will actually help even during a live performance.


For anyone wondering what that Additional gimmick was in their packaging. Yes, that is indeed BA for an extra convincing moment showing between the fingers instantly after the vanish. Though for some reason Penguin hasn’t uploaded the New tutorial we shot last year with the BA taught and also additional bonus ideas using the vanishing card gimmick. Including color changes, other vanish variations and appearing card ideas as well. I hope they upload soon and notify those who picked up a copy!


Thanks for the clarification Nicholas! Congrats on this release
Maxy
View Profile
Special user
617 Posts

Profile of Maxy
Looks awesome!

I imagine this can play well as part of a routine:

  • Spectator picks a card and lose it into the deck.
  • You pick a random card and vanish it with this gimmick, while vanishing the card you inhale air visibly and audibly to imply that you are sucking the card's particles.
  • You point to your phone on the table and blow slowly on it, the disintegrated vanished card's particle will begin to form again on the screen (face down).
  • You proceed to pull the card from the phone, and of course it will be the spectator's selected card.


The production of the vanished card can be from any other place -not necessary your phone-, it can be from the spectator's pocket, under the card box...
ULockJustice
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
198 Posts

Profile of ULockJustice
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2022, Arthur Chiu wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 6, 2022, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2022, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 4, 2022, Arthur Chiu wrote:
Without doing the hand washing technique/ditching, can you incorporate BA so that your right hand ends clean? Of course this would be for social media situation


Yes, there is a black art piece included in the package to use after the vanish. I think if you're wearing black the extra piece included will actually help even during a live performance.


For anyone wondering what that Additional gimmick was in their packaging. Yes, that is indeed BA for an extra convincing moment showing between the fingers instantly after the vanish. Though for some reason Penguin hasn’t uploaded the New tutorial we shot last year with the BA taught and also additional bonus ideas using the vanishing card gimmick. Including color changes, other vanish variations and appearing card ideas as well. I hope they upload soon and notify those who picked up a copy!


Thanks for the clarification Nicholas! Congrats on this release


Just wanted to clarify something, the new tutorial that covers the piece Nicholas is referring to is up on the site. I actually just watched it because I wanted to remember how to use it for something I'm working on. It's also updated on the link that comes inside the packaging. It's pretty close to the end of the download. Also, big thanks to Nicholas for adding that piece, because it allows you to do some really cool stuff.
This is the profile of Comedian + Magician Erik Tait. A self-promoting sleight of hand artist who thinks he is the cat's meow.

PM for beard tips.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2096 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Ben
ZIllIUN
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of ZIllIUN
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, NicholasLawrenceMagic wrote:
Quote:
On Mar 2, 2022, Phatmeat wrote:
It's not impossible to come up with possible methods as to how this cat appeared from inside this card box: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StgTdWPq0JU&t=22s
I have some theories for how this could be done [without video editing].

Unless Will Tsai or someone who was there while shooting says/said it was video editing (which very well may be/have been the case), nobody knows for sure. But it's just so much easier to assume and helps us sleep better at night to assume they used video editing to make the cat appear from inside the card box.

And prove me wrong that anyone could possibly know FOR SURE that they used video editing to make the cat appear from inside the card box, unless Will Tsai or anyone who knows for a fact actually admits it.

I need to hear it directly from the horse's mouth in order to know FOR SURE, otherwise it's totally plausible that the cat appeared from inside the card box without the use of CGI. I have some theories.


I was there in the restaurant while Herman was shooting the video, it’s CGI.. Will just drops the card into his lap and Herman edits the video later, I also saw how he edited the video too.. It’s actually super impressive what you can do with Adobe After Effects!

Believe it, or Not… The Cat from card box was actually real, I was there for that shoot too. Kinda inhumane though, I walked off set once I seen how they were cramming Fluffy into that card box! I won’t stand for Faked magic or Animal abuse… period.


I bought the Godly Vanish. I had issues with their method. I tweaked it a tad, but I probably won't use anything that leaves me in finger palm. I never do a vanish that leaves me dirty. I still have your trick on my wishlist, though I am on the fence. It really looks great, and I am hoping it is a better method.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2891 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
I talked myself into buying this thanks to Craig and Ryland's review of it, and while I don't have it in hand yet I watched the tutorial and it's very clever. This is going to be a fun one to practice in the mirror, and Nicholas offers some very practical advice on handling it. Nothing overly fancy or complicated, and there are plenty of workable options for ending clean, as I suspected.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
dirtyfoucault
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
359 Posts

Profile of dirtyfoucault
What approach are people taking with the clean up? To me, the hand washing is a little too easy to follow, even if done as well as Craig or Nicholas. Black Art isn't that versatile. I love the vanish but I haven't found a clean ending I'm happy with...
NicholasLawrenceMagic
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of NicholasLawrenceMagic
Quote:
On Mar 19, 2022, dirtyfoucault wrote:
What approach are people taking with the clean up? To me, the hand washing is a little too easy to follow, even if done as well as Craig or Nicholas. Black Art isn't that versatile. I love the vanish but I haven't found a clean ending I'm happy with...


To easy to follow? For who? Magicians? Yes.. I hope most magicians know something is being palmed.. but laymen have No clue.. every regular person I’ve performed this for has gasped and started reacting mid vanish because of the visual alone. I usually perform the vanish holding the deck as well so the gimmick gets ditched under the deck as I lead into a reveal.. give that a try.. also if you’re seated a combination of misdirection and lapping is also nice.

I also use soemthing I didn’t teach as it’s not practical for most to DIY.. I add a loop of monofilament to the gimmick allowing me to show between my fingers immediately without any black art.. it’s an interesting idea that I’m not total happy with yet but anyone fee free to experiment with this. Currently trying to thumb clip and use loop to hide behind my hand as well showing a super clean display.

Obviously we’d all love to show empty clean hands after the vanish but first we have to appreciate what’s been done here.. the origin of this style vanish and the practicality of the method.. it’s young.. maybe in a few years I’ll have a 2.0 where you don’t need you thumb and can show you hands empty! hahaha .. keep a look out for that.. lol
RussoMagic.com
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of RussoMagic.com
When will this be back in stock?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The Vanishing Card by Nicholas Lawrence (22 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL