The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Dangers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I recently read that a magician had died because of bird poo. I don't remember the thread but that's what it said.

Is there any truth to it?

I have heard before that there is a risk. I'm thinking of getting into doves so I'm a little concerned.

Regan
Mister Mystery
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Did he get buried alive by the poop? :0

Bird poop has a lot of bacteria in it, especially if you let it sit for a prolonged period of time. So if you get some doves, just clean out the cage once a day, wash you hands w/soap and water after handling the birds and you should be fine.
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Dove "Poo" is just like any other animal. It's not good to leave it sit around. Besides the smell, itsmagic is correct. It carries bacteria. You have to watch the birds and determine how often to clean the cage. I have 2 birds in each cage and clean them every other day. You may need to do it more or less often. Put paper down on the bottom of the cage and it'll be easier and quicker to clean up.

I'm not sure about the magician death story but the powder or dander they produce can be a health risk. Severe repiratory problems can develope if you are in a confined space with them. I used to keep 30 birds in my basement and the dust became unbearable. One or two birds in the house isn't a problem. You can keep them in a garage or even outside.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks so much. I truly value your advice. I didn't know about the dander. Since I have mild asthma I will use precaution.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
I know of no confirmed deaths of anyone anywhere from exposure to doves or their living areas. (My wife is a human doctor who also spent many years working with humane shelters and on staff with veterinarians.) However, birds, and wild birds in particular spread histoplasmosis. Chickens are also a problem. Here is the Center for Disease Control site.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/hi97146.html

If you read closely, it takes about three years of uncleaned roosting area to develop a suspect site. Blackbirds are the normal source of the problem. North Carolina would be in the problem area as is most of the South.

In almost any home there are plenty of sources of respiratory problems that are unrelated to birds. An individual with respiratory problems can usually tolerate waterfowl without an additional problem. That is because those birds have oily feathers rather than dusty feathers like doves, parrots, chickens, etc.

As with most living things (humans included) hygiene is a basic requirement for good health and safety. Doves are by nature outdoor birds.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Agreed. I haven't heard of any deaths either but I know from personal experience that continued exposure to the dove dander aggrevates asthma to a point of not being able to breath. My wife was a victim until I moved the birds outside as Bob says.
Where the magic begins
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
Thanks guys. I feel like a kid in a magic store since I found the Café. It's great to talk with those with knowledge and experience, and who are willing to share it with others.
Mister Mystery
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Dove Dangers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL