The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dry hands (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mkarav
View Profile
Regular user
Westwood, NJ
106 Posts

Profile of mkarav
Any recommendations for dry hand lotions. I tried O’Keeffe’s but I I hope there is something better. thanks
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1651 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
For coin work, try a tiny bit of glycerine. You should be able to get it from the baking section of a store.

Barry
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Tom G
If you can find some Golden Touch lotion available at vitamin shops if you can't find it elsewhere.
David Neighbors
View Profile
V.I.P.
4900 Posts

Profile of David Neighbors
Yea I use Golden All the time ! it is what Marlo used !
David Neighbors
the coinjurer
www.daveneighbors.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4442 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I use a Veterinary product, Humilac, made by Virbac, found at Vets. Unfortunately it was taken off the market in 2015. It consisted of Glycerine, water, and lactic acid. I tried Golden Touch, but the moisture goes away pretty fast, and doesn't give me the tacky feeling I need for my fingertips that glycerine does.
Both Ricky Jay and David Roth used glycerine and rosewater, but I am not sure if they made up their own solution. You can find this commercially on Amazon, and I am awaiting my order to see how it feels. In the meantime I still have my supply of Humilac (it is ok, but over the years it has diminished in its ability to keep the tacky feeling I sometimes need), to which I may add some glycerine to make it a bit more tacky.
As a side note, I believe Francis Carlyle used to suck on charms, and licked his hands whenever he needed to make them tacky. I tried it, and that works, but I would prefer not to constantly lick my fingers and palms.
As another side note, I used mink oil to soften some leather I had, and it did make my hands feel ok for a bit. But not sure if it is something that can be used long term.
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1105 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
Glycerin has always helped me to give me this tacky feeling - In winter I have dry hands, I couldn't do my coin magic without it.
Also, I like that it has no smell at all, very neutral.
Just a drop or two, a good massage of the palms, wrists and fingers and I'l good to go !
Calvin Tong
View Profile
Special user
707 Posts

Profile of Calvin Tong
I have been using O'keeffe's for quite some time. works well and seems to last longer than golden touch in my experience. Not sure if the humidity (or lack there of) in your area would have an effect on that. Another benefit is that there is no odor.

https://www.amazon.com/OKeeffes-Working-......1ZQ&th=1
Cal Tong
President Emeritus
IBM Ring 216 Silicon Valley
drmagico
View Profile
Loyal user
247 Posts

Profile of drmagico
I have used Papercreme fingetip moisturizer for years. I think it works very well.
Christopher Moro
View Profile
Special user
793 Posts

Profile of Christopher Moro
I have hands so dry I can't seem to hold on to anything, much less accomplish sleight of hand... UNLESS I add back some moisture. I've found this has to do with changing body chemistry, age and... climate. As the climate changes, my needs change. During the winter months, I need something strong, like O'Keefes. But during summer or humid weather, a tiny bit of Lee Papercreme fintertip moisturizer is better if dabbed in a few spots. Sometimes Golden Touch works in the warmer months when even Papercreme is too tacky. For coin work, its a bit more finnicky for me. Coins can also start sticking to your hand if you're not careful, so striking the right balance of tackiness can get tricky. For card work, I find it less finnicky. The main issue there is to ensure product doesn't come off on the cards and cake them up.

I would say, experiment with many products in different climates and environments. Some others that people have used are Cornhuskers (this was too greasy for me), Gloves in a Bottle (didn't work for me)... and David Roth used Rosin (for violins) which he actually put on the coin edges (quite effective).
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1538 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
Glycerin was the liquid of choice in the old days, not to leave on for performing, but done as a regimen to keep the skin supple. You then rinse it off. People like Geoff Latta would always go to wash his hands if someone asked him to perform. There are soaps with glycerin. Erdnase talks about glycerin in some of his other books.
RobertApodaca
View Profile
New user
Henderson, NV
94 Posts

Profile of RobertApodaca
You said it already.....O Keefe Worder hands
PapaG
View Profile
Special user
800 Posts

Profile of PapaG
Quote:
On Mar 27, 2022, Michael Rubinstein wrote:
I use a Veterinary product, Humilac, made by Virbac, found at Vets. Unfortunately it was taken off the market in 2015. It consisted of Glycerine, water, and lactic acid. I tried Golden Touch, but the moisture goes away pretty fast, and doesn't give me the tacky feeling I need for my fingertips that glycerine does.
Both Ricky Jay and David Roth used glycerine and rosewater, but I am not sure if they made up their own solution. You can find this commercially on Amazon, and I am awaiting my order to see how it feels. In the meantime I still have my supply of Humilac (it is ok, but over the years it has diminished in its ability to keep the tacky feeling I sometimes need), to which I may add some glycerine to make it a bit more tacky.
As a side note, I believe Francis Carlyle used to suck on charms, and licked his hands whenever he needed to make them tacky. I tried it, and that works, but I would prefer not to constantly lick my fingers and palms.
As another side note, I used mink oil to soften some leather I had, and it did make my hands feel ok for a bit. But not sure if it is something that can be used long term.

Did you find a good alternative, or is the Humilac supply still holding out?
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4442 Posts

Humolac is no longer being made. So I know use a rosewater/glycerine product found on Amazon, and add vegetable glycerine in spots I need to be more tacky.
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4442 Posts

Oh, sorry for the earlier typos. Fat thumbs. The rosewater/glycerin product I got from Amazon is by Heritage Store in case anyone is looking.
Inlakesh
View Profile
New user
58 Posts

Profile of Inlakesh
I personally just use olive oil, or coconut oil. I apply it at least an hour before I want to perform and the oilyness dissipates leaving hydrated, supple hands. Like a lady.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1538 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
O'Keefe's makes one for feet, Healthy Feet, but it is the same stuff but in a tube, a little bit creamier and easier to use. Also heard of something called Chamberland's?
VernonOnCoins
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC
1905 Posts

Profile of VernonOnCoins
I just ordered Magicians Choice from Penguin. Have used it before and it’s very good
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2828 Posts

Profile of Tom G
VernonOnCoins most likely a regular product, rebottled, and the price doubled.
gregg webb
View Profile
Inner circle
1538 Posts

Profile of gregg webb
I don't think it is my imagination, but lots of practice seems to help with the dryness issue and even seems to ward off mild arthritis stiffness. I'm not claiming it will cure full blown arthritis, but it certainly seems to help, and also with the dryness. Moral of the story - practice more.

Everyone's idea of "a lot of practice" varies, I'm sure. Every single day? Of course. Concert pianists practice all day unless they have a concert to do, which counts as practice. They miss a day, they themselves notice. 2 days? Their friends notice. 3 days? Their audiences notice.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Dry hands (3 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL