The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves layed eggs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
I used the search bar, but I still need help.I keep the same food I'm feeding them and just add apples bannanas and bread. how long does it take for the doves to hatch. They layed there eggs one so far in a food dish that I have my grit in. Is that large enough for the future when they get older.

Thanks mike
Darcy
View Profile
Regular user
128 Posts

Profile of Darcy
Hey Mike, the same thing usually happens with my doves. If you put a basket with some "hay" (its not really hay its nesting stuff for birds that you can find at a pet shop) your birds will make a nest for themselfs. Most of the time doves will ley two eggs at a time.
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
I did that They took the hey and put it in the Grit
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1073 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
Unless you have a male AND a female dove in the cage together, the egg will not hatch. Females naturally lay eggs by themselves.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
2-3 weeks is the normal hatching time, mine have hached a few days ago and I've had lots of proplems with them, good luck when they hatch.
Matt
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
5120 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Mike, since you bird already layed the egg, it thinks your food dish is the nest. The hatching process usually takes no more than 21 days. After that, you will either have a baby or the egg is infertile and you can destroy it. In either case, put a nest in the Café with them. Doves are typically bad nest builders so just get some nesting material from the pet store and place it in the nest. I use what is called a coop cup for a nest. It's an aluminum bowl that attaches to the side of the cage. They come in a variety of sizes. These work well for doves nests.

Dove lay eggs in pairs, usually a few days apart. Females will lay by themselves producing infertile eggs. You just have to wait and see what happens to be sure you have a pair or two females.
Where the magic begins
magicmike001
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of magicmike001
Oh I Tought only if they lay 4 eggs together it means there both females I didn't now that they can lay eggs by themselves.
EddyRay
View Profile
Special user
United States Of America
525 Posts

Profile of EddyRay
Bird and the bees!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Doves layed eggs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL