We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Inventor of "Matrix" (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Maxyedid
View Profile
Special user
Panama
735 Posts

Profile of Maxyedid
I just found what seems to be the "Matrix" effect in Stanyon's Magazine, Dec 1904 by J. Hilliard
NEW BOOK! "Semi-Automatic Miracles" - INSTANT Best-Seller at Lybrary.com
https://www.lybrary.com/semiautomatic-card-miracles-p-925333.html
chaos handlings, out of hands effects, and more
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1639 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
Yank Hoe's "Sympathetic Coins"? Also in Downs's "The Art of Magic", 1909.

Barry
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9516 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have a feeling that Ung entertained kids with pebbles moving around under leaves or slabs of bark about 50,000 years ago.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Are you talking about the "Sympathetic Coins", as mentioned by Barry ?
If so, that's not the same trick at all, nor is it the same effect.

Jim
mindmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
London
1639 Posts

Profile of mindmagic
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
That Wiki article has several errors - it's also about Chink-a-Chink, when this thread is supposed to be about Matrix.

As I said above, if the OP is talking about the Sympathetic Coins - that is both a different trick and a different effect to Als Matrix.

Matrix is a specific trick, and not a generic term (as it seems to be seen as nowadays). It is a coin assembly, and the actual magic EFFECT is a TRANSPORTATION. It uses four coins covered by four cards.

The Sympathetic Coins is the trick which inspired Al to create Matrix. The sympathetic coins is often referred to as an assembly also (which it technically isn't). The Sympathetic Coins is actually a PENETRATION EFFECT - the coins don't "travel" or "transport" to their destination, they pass through (penetrate) a handkerchief.

Two different tricks and effects.

Chink-a-Chink is an assembly, the effect being a transportation. NO OTHER VISIBLE PROPS ARE USED, other than the four principle objects (sugar lumps, bottle caps etc). The objects are covered momentarily with the hands only, and the objects transport under the hands.

These three tricks are not the same, and each has it's own characteristics.

Jim
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9129 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Seemingly a case of subtle similarities maybe overwhelming any closing recognitions of glaring differences… 🤔

“Whenever we find, in two forms of life that are [supposedly] unrelated to each other, a similarity of form or of behaviour patterns which relates to more than a few minor details, [overwhelms the mind to see things as more of the same lot than not].”

Perhaps it is more correct to say that these things are superficially similar enough to overshadow their fundamental differences…or something like that.

Still, always good to hear the fuller story and from different sources as to greater evaluation. With that, thanks to all here. 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MGordonB
View Profile
Loyal user
Toronto, Canada
273 Posts

Profile of MGordonB
Didn’t Al Schneider have something to do with this?
jim ferguson
View Profile
Veteran user
Ayrshire, Scotland
386 Posts

Profile of jim ferguson
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2022, MGordonB wrote:

If you mean Matrix then yes - its his trick.

Jim
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9516 Posts

Profile of funsway
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2022, jim ferguson wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 5, 2022, MGordonB wrote:

If you mean Matrix then yes - its his trick.

Yes, and there are posts in the Café archives about his views on the takeoffs and shift from magic to skill demonstration.
In some of his books too, with thoughts about his creation/innovation.

Jim
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 2, 2022, Maxyedid wrote:
I just found what seems to be the "Matrix" effect in Stanyon's Magazine, Dec 1904 by J. Hilliard

You found an ancestor of the Coin Assembly routine?

Al’s routine has its merits. Remember the premise is that the cards prevent you from touching the coins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1896 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote: Remember the premise is that the cards prevent you from touching the coins.

An excellent piece of information there.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9129 Posts

Profile of Mb217
While I appreciate the cleverness of Matrix, and Matrix-type effects, I have always gotten greater enjoyment out of such coin assemblies or transpositions, etc., but done with bare hands. It always made it look like the magic or power was coming directly from you. To me, it just looks a lot more magical with no in-between to it, like watching Michael Amman or Eric Jones do Shadow Coins on a floor, or Roth doing Chink-a-Chink at the table. Guess it’s just a matter of taste, but really it’s all good. 😊 But see, to me, this is magical as to the basic premise of these sorts of effects… *(oh, and for all those that need the 4 cards added, they are off to the side there). 😁

https://youtu.be/l7pELEAHZt4
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1400 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Al’s routine has its merits. Remember the premise is that the cards prevent you from touching the coins.

Is it? Interesting. Who was it who came up with this point? I've never heard anyone talk of that. Not disagreeing, I'm just curious.

From my perspective, the cards are there to add some time misdirection, and allow a slower presentation. Look it's under the card, it's still under the card, but now it's gone. Shadow coins always like to play with perspective, and pretend you're not touching the coins (from above) when in fact you are, and the travel is instantaneous and visual.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Al discusses this in his article in Genii Magazine February 2000 issue page 40 last paragraph continuing onto page 41.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1400 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I'll have to see if I can find that somewhere. I don't have any old issues on hand.

But thanks for the reference.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1896 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Where, and when, did Al Schneider first publish his routine, Matrix?
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
608 Posts

Profile of padre rich
ILLUSTRATED MAGIC. 4 coins with 2 cards on a handkerchief, can be done anywhere, any time, no fussy moves.all that matrix hoo-hah.is it really that important?pick a routine you like and forget the rest...
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9516 Posts

Profile of funsway
His book came out in 1974, but "Matrix Coin Trick by Al Schneider in Genii 1970 November, Vol. 35, No. 3, page 123."

Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3737 Posts

Profile of Julie
The importance of Al's effect is his "moves" are slow and deliberate. He's obviously not trying to fool you with sneaky sleight of hand or quick juggling manipulations ("look what I can do").

If Magic happened to be real, this is how it would look!

Julie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Inventor of "Matrix" (20 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL