We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Inventor of "Matrix" (20 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4378 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
One thing that Al Schneider does, that is not done by many, is to make a magic gesture to make the coin travel, then snap the cards as he shows that the coin has passed. A BIG mistake is to show the coins, then snap the cards to make the coin travel. It is precisly what he wants to avoid.
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2022, Ray Haining wrote:
Where, and when, did Al Schneider first publish his routine, Matrix?

Before the 1970 Genii issue?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1896 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 7, 2022, Ray Haining wrote:
Where, and when, did Al Schneider first publish his routine, Matrix?

Before the 1970 Genii issue?

Well, if that's the first, then that's all I wanted to know.
scotchrocket
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
119 Posts

Profile of scotchrocket
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2022, tonsofquestions wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 6, 2022, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Al’s routine has its merits. Remember the premise is that the cards prevent you from touching the coins.

Is it? Interesting. Who was it who came up with this point? I've never heard anyone talk of that. Not disagreeing, I'm just curious.

From my perspective, the cards are there to add some time misdirection, and allow a slower presentation. Look it's under the card, it's still under the card, but now it's gone. Shadow coins always like to play with perspective, and pretend you're not touching the coins (from above) when in fact you are, and the travel is instantaneous and visual.

I did some sniffing around and came across this excerpt, written by Al. I've not included a link to the source because I'm not sure whether the page is intended to be 'public facing' and wanted to respect that, if not.

With that said, since no technique is discussed and my inclination is that it is intended to be public facing, here are some of Mr. Schneider's thoughts on the effect, and to a lesser degree the role of the cards:

Quote:
"In my presentation, I move my hands above the cards as if I am causing the coin to move through mental force alone. Then I look at the audience as if all is accomplished. Then I must pick up the cards to display what has happened. Thus, the act of picking up the card is not associated with how the coins go from one location to the other.

The point of this is that the individual in the previous story must be using [redacted] technique or a similar technique, attempting to show he is causing the magic to happen when he picks up the cards. He is clearly doing a good job for his wife loves the trick. The impression given is that he is causing the matic [sic] to happen when he manipulates the cards.

When I did it however, it was a different trick to her. From her point of view, I did nothing and the magic happened anyway.

My point of view is that not touching the cards is vastly more magical than this muscle snapping of the cards in an attempt to demonstrate the magician is causing the magic to happen at that point. The question is, do you wish to be a magician or act as if you are a magician?"

It doesn't answer your question(s) entirely but thought it was closely enough related that it was worth sharing.
All about borrowed coins.
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4378 Posts

Exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for posting that.
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Interesting, thanks! I want to highlight one sentence in particular there:

Quote:
My point of view is that not touching the cards is vastly more magical than this muscle snapping of the cards in an attempt to demonstrate the magician is causing the magic to happen at that point.

Which makes it sound like Al doesn't do the snapping at all (Dr. Rubinstein's comment made it sound like he did the gesture and then snap them).

From the quote, it also seems like the snapping is what Al has a problem with, as opposed to the difference between using hands and cards to cover the coins - as Jonathan Townsend suggested. I'm not saying that part's wrong, just that the fast vs extended covering is very different in my mind from a disdain of the card snap.

I'll also confess that I'm not 100% sure what the "muscle snap" he refers to. I'm assuming it's bending the card and then causing it to come back straight, creating a snap, but I don't think of that as being a muscle-heavy flourish - unlike, say, the muscle pass.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9128 Posts

Profile of Mb217
NIce build upon the original here…

I would think Al would be proud of all the creativity that came out of his initial work. 😊
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4378 Posts

The Pick Up move doesn't need a loud snap, which is what most people do. As Al does it, the pick up move is done softly.
https://youtu.be/CoVwFpj4i3E
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9512 Posts

Profile of funsway
The expectations of a casual audience today is different than when Al introduced the approach. He noted on the Café' a couple of years back
that folks today are more likely to be entertained by an Effect they think they can figure out than by strong magic. So, the loud snap
as a signal of "moment of magic" can lead to a false conclusion of "trick," but only to amazement and "fooled me" rather than "must be magic."

In a discussion with Al several years ago, he lamented on the shift to skill demonstration in Matrix over the orchestration of a magic experience.
Of course, his language was a bit more caustic that I will not post here. Smile

Just another verification that "change" does not necessarily mean "improvement," that being relative to what the performer is trying to achieve.
Is your chosen approach congruent with other Effects you plan on presenting? Is any Matrix type approach your best choice for the audience of the moment?

With peoples' changing familiarity with larger coins, are you already going down the "suspicious prop" rabbit hole regardless of approach?
Since I prefer Effects with "found" objects in an impromptu setting, my preference is using quarters and business cards that can't really be called Matrix at all.
But I appreciate studying Matrix variations for new presentations ideas - and reasons to avoid doing it.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Lawrens Godon
View Profile
Inner circle
France
1100 Posts

Profile of Lawrens Godon
I see it as two different effects.
The way Al designed it, is more on "mental" side of magic ; as explained, just a cast over the cards, and then reveal that the magic occurred
in a mysterious way.
On the other hand, the brisk, simultaneous snapping of the cards offers a visual effect, the coin "visibly" jumping on the other side, like trick photography.
I like both approaches and I've performed both according to settings, people, etc...
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
Courtesy of MB over in a different thread, here:
https://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/view......tart=200
This video was particularly interesting as a history of part of this effect:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtvhXYKaecM

I realize it doesn't include any bits related to cards, but I still think it was a fascinating rundown of the original thinking.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
A quick note about the earlier assembly routines with a hank on the table; the first two bits of magic are presented as penetrations of the coin through the hank.

Long Story short - the sound of coins on the table pretty much kept Dingle (snappy) style coin assemblies from getting popular til Ross Bertram and Al Goshman started selling closeup pads. Ross Bertram continued to make his Welcome Mat cushions from cloth. Al Goshman and others sold lots of closeup pads ... which made the noise problem more manageable. That scuba suit materiel was a find!

Steve Dusheck realized the last coin travel can be significantly more impressive if you could see the coin under the card right before it traveled; and so invented his Coin Card item. Just a little more work (say on the wallet you carry those cards in Smile neodymium - see Dingle's market item Smile and the effect can be striking whether done the way Al shows it or closer to the Dingle style snappy version.

There are a couple of items in Bobo's Modern Coin magic which offer some insight into proto-Matrix thinking. Compare 'Motile' to Matrix for how the initial setup is accomplished... Closer to three-shell or cups-and-balls thinking till Al focused on the magic. You might want to check out what Ross Bertram was doing at the time as well.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Inventor of "Matrix" (20 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL