The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Do you know this card trick? (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

kayvee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kayvee
When I was 10 years old (many years ago), my friend's older brother performed this card trick for me. He asked me to divide face down a full deck of cards into multiple piles. I can't remember if it had to be divided into a certain number of piles determined by him or into any number of piles that I wanted.

After I did this, he would tell me what would be the sum of the top card of all the piles combined. And I would turn over the top card of each pile and voila, the sum of those cards would be exactly as he had stated. I don't remember what value the jack, queen or king represented.

I went home and tried to figure out how to do this trick. I practiced for hours every day. A week later I figured it out. I came up with a mathematical formula which gave me the correct answer every time. I went back to my friend's older brother and showed him how figured out the trick. He was impressed but said that he did the trick a different way.

In any case, I have forgotten the trick and how to do it. Does anyone know the name of this trick and how to do it?

Any help is appreciated.

:D
Inert
View Profile
Special user
Babbled incessantly for
670 Posts

Profile of Inert
It looks like you stumped everyone with your very 1st post. Well done Kayvee.
kayvee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kayvee
Haha

Thanks Inert Smile
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Don't know name of trick but I know how I would do it using my own cards.
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1764 Posts

Profile of Claudio
I don’t know the trick, and actually I’ve never heard of the effect.

Here’s a possible handling that’s self-working and doesn’t require any special cards. The down-side is that it won't be direct, i.e. some process will be called for:

Have the deck shuffled. Get it back and tell your audience that you’ll need 2 cards for a prediction. While spreading the deck face up add up the top 6 cards (or any 6 cards that you'll transfer to the top) and take 2 cards that you position face up to represent this total, but without explaining immediately what they mean. For example, if the top 6 cards add up to 41, take out a 4 and an Ace.

Table the deck and ask your spectator to cut the top half of the deck and deal it to make 3 piles by alternatively dealing one card at a time on each pile.

At that point the two bottom cards of each pile are your “key” cards. Under the pretext of randomness ask that each of the 3 piles be dealt into two piles each.

You end up with 6 piles and the top cards are your 6 ‘key’ cards. Ask the spec to turn them up and sum them up. The total will of course match your prediction.
kayvee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kayvee
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

Oh wow...if you ever feel like recording yourself performing the trick, please feel free to do so Smile
kayvee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kayvee
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2022, Claudio wrote:
I don’t know the trick, and actually I’ve never heard of the effect.

Here’s a possible handling that’s self-working and doesn’t require any special cards. The down-side is that it won't be direct, i.e. some process will be called for:

Have the deck shuffled. Get it back and tell your audience that you’ll need 2 cards for a prediction. While spreading the deck face up add up the top 6 cards (or any 6 cards that you'll transfer to the top) and take 2 cards that you position face up to represent this total, but without explaining immediately what they mean. For example, if the top 6 cards add up to 41, take out a 4 and an Ace.

Table the deck and ask your spectator to cut the top half of the deck and deal it to make 3 piles by alternatively dealing one card at a time on each pile.

At that point the two bottom cards of each pile are your “key” cards. Under the pretext of randomness ask that each of the 3 piles be dealt into two piles each.

You end up with 6 piles and the top cards are your 6 ‘key’ cards. Ask the spec to turn them up and sum them up. The total will of course match your prediction.

that's very interesting....Thanks for sharing Claudio!
kayvee
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of kayvee
Someone sent me this....its not the same trick but I thought it was interesting, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNYux2y2OVQ&feature=youtu.be
Claudio
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1764 Posts

Profile of Claudio
You’re welcome Kayvee.

If you’re into stack work (especially mem deck, but Si Stebbins and alike will work too), you can achieve the same effect (minus the shuffling) and more as, after the dealing procedure has been completed, you can predict the total of the top or bottom 6 cards, and indeed the total of any layer from the top.

Furthermore, a simple procedure which does not require dealing and can be performed openly in front of the audience, will put your stack back in order.

I performed this for friends a few days ago and the reaction was actually much better than I thought it’d be. It was quick enough as I had 3 specs to do the dealing.
SamChak
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of SamChak
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2022, kayvee wrote:
my friend's older brother ... asked me to divide face down a full deck of cards into multiple piles. After I did this, he would tell me what would be the sum of the top card of all the piles combined. And I would turn over the top card of each pile and voila, the sum of those cards would be exactly as he had stated. Smile

If your friend's older brother had performed on Penn and Teller: Fool Us, then Penn would have said, "You know, Kayvee, doing this show, we've seen a lot of wonderful magicians performed a lot of classic magic. But you do that stuff more creatively than anyone I've ever seen. We're about to take a guess, and we are sincerely hoping we're wrong. If the Spectator cuts to the Aces, then the sum will be 4. What do you think?"
(a)ndy
View Profile
Regular user
New Zealand
163 Posts

Profile of (a)ndy
Quote:
On May 3, 2022, SamChak wrote:
If your friend's older brother had performed on Penn and Teller: Fool Us, then Penn would have said, "You know, Kayvee, doing this show, we've seen a lot of wonderful magicians performed a lot of classic magic. But you do that stuff more creatively than anyone I've ever seen. We're about to take a guess, and we are sincerely hoping we're wrong. If the Spectator cuts to the Aces, then the sum will be 4. What do you think?"

Did anyone else hear Penn's voice when reading that? Or was it just me? Smile
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Apr 19, 2022, Wravyn wrote:

If they were MY cards, rather than a borrowed deck, I can think of an incredibly simple solution requiring no sleights, stacks etc.
It's a simple method that a teenager could easily master, but would probably be inconceivable to his 10 year old spectator.
If he used the method I am thinking of, then the effect is actually rather a clever way to disguise the method.
Nev Blenk
View Profile
Regular user
Northumberland UK
115 Posts

Profile of Nev Blenk
M****d Deck ?
JBSmith1978
View Profile
Veteran user
NY
374 Posts

Profile of JBSmith1978
I don’t recall the where I’ve seen similar. However it is reminiscent of the first card trick I was ever shown and taught as a child.
Piles are built by(in my case) turning a card face up then counting down from its value down to one. This is done until there are a few usable piles.
The remaining cards will then correlate to the sum of the piles.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1405 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
Yep, this sounds like an old trick. The method is in lots of historic magic books. In particular, it is in Physical Amusements and Diverting Experiments by Giuseppe Pinetti, published in 1784! The technique involves some simple mathematics but is surprisingly effective. It doesn't sound exactly the same as the trick the OP describes, but this principle can be used in various ways to achieve the desired outcome.

The trick has a very snappy title: A mathematical Combination for guessing, in a whole Pack composed of Fifty-two Cards, how many Points will make the Cards under each Parcel, which Parcels are to be made by one of the Company, observing to him that each Parcel he makes is to compose the Number of Thirteen, to begin from the Point of the first Card which he takes to form each Parcel.

Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Do you know this card trick? (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL