The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Vince Mendoza/ band magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10615 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
For those like my self that are lovers of rubberband magic, Vince's beautiful routine FOUND LINK will soon be realeased. He was kind enough to send me his notes and in my opinion this is the best routine ever.

Vince has taken Chris Kenner's Missing Link and Jeff Pierce's The Joining to the next level; what was once a difficult puzzle is now a routine that flows.
Vince uses his Mendoza move, as well as a one-handed display that he also credits me for using as well. Finally the routine concludes with his off move in which the bands unlink in a beautiful and magical fashion.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
David Todd
View Profile
Inner circle
1486 Posts

Profile of David Todd
I'm looking forward to reading the release of his handling.
Will it be a booklet with photos or a DVD (or both)?

The video clip on MVD was so slick. I was scratching my head after that one. I thought I knew the principl , but I can not see how he gets into it. It was really good.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Vince's method, though very slick, does take work to get it down smooth; however the work will be well rewarded.
As far as a DVD, I'm not sure if he will release one. I hope he does.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1239 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Quote:
On 2004-06-27 08:27, vinsmagic wrote:
For those like myself that are lovers of rubberband magic, Vince's beautiful routine FOUND LINK will soon be realeased.He was kind enough to send me his notes and in my opinion this is the best routine ever.

Vince has taken Chris Kenner's Missing Link and Jeff Pierce's The Joining to the next level; what was once a difficult puzzle is now a routine that flows.
Vince uses his Mendoza move, as well as a one-handed display that he also credits me for using as well. Finally the routine concludes with his off move in which the bands unlink in a beautiful and magical fashion.

vinny

Vinny,
I have been doing "The Joining" as the last phase of a rubberband routine for a number of years. So it was with great interest that I watched Vince's video with the ring and band. I posted to Vince on another thread that I saw no difference between "Found Link" and my "The Joining" but he has yet to respond. You name my effect in your above post as being the effect it is improved apon.

I'm also not sure what you mean by "what uses to be a difficult puzzle is now a routine that flows." Although both have similar difficulties in setup, the routines are link on and link off so how does the routine flow better? The only difference I can see (and Vince has not contacted me at all so I am going strictly by the video) is the one-handed display, of which I played with a few years ago also.

I based the Joining on Chris Kenner's Missing Link and received his permission to publish The Joining. I would hope that the same respect will be granted to me.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Hi Jeff. No disrespect to your wonderful effect. I purchased Joining when you posted it on the Café and I also said this was one of the best deals for 5 dollars out there.
What I am saying is Vince took Chris Kenner's Missing Link and your Joining and put them together into a wonderful routine.
The Joining, without question, is your effect as well as missing link is Chris Kenner's. Vince took away the telltale x pattern of Missing Link and the setup is so much cleaner. His Mendoza move is different than The Joining, although the result is the same.
Once again Vince, IMO, is not taking credit for the effect, just the different handling and the routine.
I hope Vince sees this and contacts you and Chris.
vinny
Come check out my magic.

vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Hello folks,

It's Sunday night and things are winding down on my end. Grad season, thankfully, is over for this year. I've been away from the board for a few days and I haven't really checked out what was happening. Boy was I surprised to see my name as a thread.

Jeff - I have read your post in the first thread that I put up and I apologize for not responding sooner. I can agree with you, yes, your effect "The Joining" and "Rhing Thing" look the same, in that a finger ring is linked then unlinked from an elastic band.

Similarly, every "TRIUMPH" routine looks the same in that cards are mixed face-up and face-down and then they right themselves. As with any "OIL and WATER" routine, cards inter-mingle and then separate.

There are dozens of methods to accomplish these effects, but what we are left with as the "effect" is essentially identical.

In this way, "The Joining" and "Rhing Thing" have, as you said, 'an uncanny resemblance.' They both take a finger ring and link it to a rubber band and then take that ring off the band. In your effect, you end with the motivation of having the spectator pull the ring from its linked state. My motivation grew from the point of view that once the ring was linked, I wanted it to just fall off the band. I have no intention of slighting you, but if you look at the handling, the differences are plain to see.

Let me bring everybody else back into this post.

At this point, I've only shared this effect with one other person. Vinny Marini and I have communicated with each other over the past week or so. I've sent him the drafts of my handling. When I first approached this effect, it was with Kenner's MISSING LINK in mind. I first developed the handling using two rubber bands and I called it FOUND LINK as a salute to Chris' routine.

Vinny will be able to attest that the opening sequence is a radical - well maybe radical is too strong a word - it's a definite departure from the previous handlings. There really is no "get ready" I bring you right there. The bands get linked. Dan Harlan and Joe Rindfleisch have both sent me communications that were very complementary with regards to this sequence.

The one-handed display, I'm sure Vinny can confirm, which looks identical to the one he's been using for years, is a different handling which grew organically from my opening sequence.

The closing sequence where the bands come apart was the weakest part of the routine. I knew it, and it bugged me. Both Joe and Dan commented on that, echoing my own thinking.

I was playing with the motivation I wrote of earlier and I started doing the effect with a ring. This became "RHING THING." I wanted to just have the object fall off the band. I posted a video demo of an earlier handling on my website and uploaded a copy to MVD. This is the one that Jeff has seen. If you watch the closing sequence carefully and pay special attention to band placement just before the ring comes off and immediately after the ring falls off, it will be clear to see that this handling is different.

Having met the criteria of having an object simply fall of the band, I still wasn’t happy with how things looked. Again, this is something that Harlan and Rindfleisch commented on.

This is an excerpt from a communication by Dan:

“…Your get-ready is very good! Quick! I like it. …there is still the problem
of how to get "out" of it. Hey, maybe you'll come up with something cool for
that too! --Dan Harlan”

So, shifting my perspective, I approached the closing sequence again with the thought that I should just be able to pluck the ring off from its linked state; a one-handed display.

Again, Vinny is the only one right now that can back me up with this. Now, the ring really looks like it just melts off the band.

That’s my explanation to you, Jeff, and to everyone else. Again, sorry I didn’t respond sooner, but I’ve been really busy the past couple of weeks. Jeff, please PM me to continue this discourse.

If you want to see the earlier handlings, they are posted on MVD, just do a search for FOUND LINK and RHING THING.

The latest handling can be seen at:

http://www.flipsideproductions.com/foundlink.htm

Also, I’ve been trying to contact Chris Kenner; if anyone has his contact info perhaps you could forward it to me, or give him mine.

Vince Mendoza
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1239 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 00:25, vinsmagic wrote:
Hi Jeff. No disrespect to your wonderful effect. I purchased Joining when you posted it on the Café and I also said this was one of the best deals for 5 dollars out there.
What I am saying is Vince took Chris Kenner's Missing Link and your Joining and put them together into a wonderful routine.
The Joining, without question, is your effect as well as missing link is Chris Kenner's. Vince took away the telltale x pattern of Missing Link and the setup is so much cleaner. His Mendoza move is different than The Joining, although the result is the same.
Once again Vince, IMO, is not taking credit for the effect, just the different handling and the routine.
I hope Vince sees this and contacts you and Chris.
vinny

Vinny,
You are a gentleman as always. Let me clarify that I have no problems with someone publishing a handling of my effect, but I don't feel anyone has the right to sell their handling as their own. Publishing with correct crediting is fine as long as I am asked first. All to often in this day and age a slightly different finger position seems to warrant calling something your own.

Jeff Pierce

http://www.members.aol.com/jeffpiercemagic/magic.html
Available for order now:

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Jeff, you are 100 percent correct in what you say. I have just recently met Vince via the Café. My gut feeling is that Vince is a very honest person. I'm sure he will not move foward without your permission..
Knowing Vince for just a short time, I am positive he would send you his notes.
And once again I have always stated that Missing Link, The Joining and Ringleader are my favorite band effects.
And when anyone asks I always credit the authors:
Chris Kenner, Jeff Pierce, and Simon Aronson.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1239 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Vince sent me his manuscript for "Found Link" and "Rhing Thing" and I've had a chance to compare it to my own "The Joining" available on my website at:

http://www.members.aol.com/jeffpiercemagic/magic.html

While I made the comparison of "Rhing Thing" to "The Joining" saying that they were identical, this was stricty from watching the videos. After reading over his very comprehensive manuscript, I can say that, although they look similar, Vince has created a different handling completely.

I congratulate Vince on a nice job and will say that you can't go wrong with either his or my routine, but buy mine (sorry Vince, had to get that one in).

Seriously, both routines take rubber band magic to a new level and will be a great addition to your set.

Jeff Pierce Magic
Available for order now:

vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
10615 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Jeff, glad you got yo see Vince's work.

vinny
Come check out my magic.

Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 08:41, Jeff wrote:
Let me clarify that I have no problems with someone publishing a handling of my effect, but I don't feel anyone has the right to sell their handling as their own. (Emphasis supplied by Turk)

Jeff Pierce

Jeff,

Huh? I must be mis-reading the plain meaning of your words here but, IMHO, I have just the opposite reaction to your above statement. I have a real problem with someone taking someone else's handling and selling it as their own but I have absolutely no problem with a person selling his own handling as his own.

Am I mis-interpreting your use of the word "their"? Are you, in fact, using the word "their" to refer back to yourself (i.e., Vince has no right to sell my handling as his own)? If that is your intent by this reference, I agree. But if you are using the word "their" to refer back to Vince (i.e., Vince has no right to sell his own handling as his own), well, then I strongly disagree.

Please clarify so I can sleep soundly tonight. (grin)

Mike
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Alouf
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Alouf
Hi Mr. Mendoza,

Are you going to be selling "Rhing Thing" and "Found Link" on DVD or on any other medium? If so, when will the 2 tricks be available?

Thanks for your reply.
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Vinny, thank you for your support. Like you said, we've only known each other for a short while but I appreciate your imppecable judgement of character. Smile

Jeff - friends? - I should have responded to you sooner and the misunderstanding might have been avoided. I'm glad you like the handling and I hope you use it.

To everyone else:

I'm finalizing the manuscript to "FOUND LINK" and "RHING THING" Like Jeff said, it is pretty comprehensive with nearly 100 photographs detailing each step of the way.

I'm also in the process of talking to a friend who's a videographer about doing a DVD.

I should have something out within the next couple of weeks. Thanks for everyones interest.

Vince Mendoza

Oh yeah, I'd really like to get a hold of Chris Kenner. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1239 Posts

Profile of Jeff
Quote:
On 2004-06-30 22:29, Turk wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-06-28 08:41, Jeff wrote:
Let me clarify that I have no problems with someone publishing a handling of my effect, but I don't feel anyone has the right to sell their handling as their own. (Emphasis supplied by Turk)

Jeff Pierce

Jeff,

Huh? I must be mis-reading the plain meaning of your words here but, IMHO, I have just the opposite reaction to your above statement. I have a real problem with someone taking someone else's handling and selling it as their own but I have absolutely no problem with a person selling his own handling as his own.

Am I mis-interpreting your use of the word "their"? Are you, in fact, using the word "their" to refer back to yourself (i.e., Vince has no right to sell my handling as his own)? If that is your intent by this reference, I agree. But if you are using the word "their" to refer back to Vince (i.e., Vince has no right to sell his own handling as his own), well, then I strongly disagree.

Please clarify so I can sleep soundly tonight. (grin)

Mike

Mike,
Sorry I did not get back to you soon enough so you could sleep soundly (LOL) I see in my post that it might be a bit confusing but you had it right. I believe that publishing a variation or update of a handling is fine with permission, but to sell it as your own effect or handling is wrong.

Thankfully, although our handlings looked somewhat similar in the beginning, what Vince has created and adapted is a different handling of the rubberband link plot and therefore it is his to do what he wants with. He has graciously mentioned my name and effect in his notes and that is fine with me.

Jeff Pierce
Available for order now:

joeKing
View Profile
Special user
United States
979 Posts

Profile of joeKing
I saw the video and I was throughly impressed...Is there a possible release date?
~joeKing
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
I've talked with Vinny about this effect and I can't wait to see the video clip.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the video to play. It kept going through a number of "buffering" loads while it crept up from 0% to 15% and sometimes as high as 41%. Then it would start over with the buffering thing. After 39 secoonds of the 1:09 total time had been buffered in, the process froze and would proceed no further. I have tried to play this many many times---all with the same result.

I have cleared out my Temporary Internet Files and that seemed to help a little. I only have 256 Meg of Ram but I am using a DSL wireless connection but...no luck. Any ideas on how to see an online play of this clip or be able to download the full clip and play it offline?

Thanks for any info.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Turk,

You should be able to download the file directly at:

http://www.flipsideproductions.com/clips/foundlink.wmv

Hope that helps.

Vince Mendoza
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3546 Posts

Profile of Turk
Quote:
On 2004-07-02 15:53, vmendoza wrote:
Turk,

You should be able to download the file directly at:

http://www.flipsideproductions.com/clips/foundlink.wmv

Hope that helps.

Vince Mendoza

Vince,

It helped a lot. Truly an awesome display. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Eschew obfuscation.
slayter0
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of slayter0
Wow! That is a great release at the end, Vince. I first saw Rhing Thing and Found Link last week at MVD and have been determined to learn them. Jeff, I apologize for not purchasing The Joining in order to get an idea of the handling for the effect. I'm just very limited on my budget. Very limited.

I was completely fascinated with Rhing Thing and spent a good thirty minutes working on a way to get the ring onto the rubber band based upon what I saw in your video. I was overjoyed when I found a way to get the ring on the band as quickly and swiftly as I saw you perform it. I then spent the remainder of the evening trying to get consistent results with the one-handed display (bands were flying all over the apartment that night). Again, I don't know if my handling is the same, but I tried to replicate what I saw as closely as possible and when I had the one handed display down I was almost jumping up and down with excitement.

The ending was the only thing I didn't find all that impressive so I've played with the idea of doing a broken and restored band to remove the ring (doing rising ring on band in the midst of it) and other silly things. I racked my brain trying to develop something.

Now that I've seen your new finishing it's just like WOW! So simple but so powerful. Great job, Vince. I hope you don't mind that I studied your video over and over to learn this effect. I still need a lot of practice to get my handling as clean as yours.

Great work! I hope to see more from you in the future.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Vince Mendoza/ band magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL