The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bathroom strippers in vernons inner card magic book (8 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Has anyone actually managed to make a stripper deck or even some stripper cards using the method that is described in the inner card magic book under the title "bathroom strippers"? After reading the description I am feeling like vernon is pulling our noses with that one. I have even tried the thing with old decks and a knife (I doubt a non uniform piece of glass is going to be any better) and the results are pretty laughable. I can manage to strip some material from the cards but the edges of the card are not smooth, the cards tend to split a bit and the amount that is stripped from the cards is not uniform, some cards have more material stripped from them than others. Any advice?
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
The only stripping in the bathroom I've experienced is just prior to a bath.
It's never crowded on the extra mile....
MorrisCH
View Profile
Veteran user
393 Posts

Profile of MorrisCH
Keep in mind that the quality of the deck Vernon used at his time was differ from us.
that method probably works best with the deck that he used, but not ours.
Ronin
View Profile
Loyal user
Martinez,CA
216 Posts

Profile of Ronin
I’d given this a shot a few years back. I wanted to make strippers for Barrie Richardson’s “Quasi-Memorized Deck.”

I had a similar experience: the bevel wasn’t too bad, but the splitting of the layers was a problem. Vernon said that there’s a knack involved in making these, but I’m inclined to agree with MorrisCH about differences in card construction now vs then. I feel that the technique could be mastered, but it’s not worth the effort for me.
David Hirata
www.thingsimpossible.com

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta."
--Federico Fellini
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
I've heard people get good results from paper cutters made by companies like Fiskars. There are more good stripper decks out there now than ever, including one company I saw that offers varying cuts. They have a larger taper for beginners all the way to a very slight taper for experts.
Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
275 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
Vernon was most likely talking about making negative strippers with various cards. Not the entire deck.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Apr 26, 2022, Tom Gagnon wrote:
Vernon was most likely talking about making negative strippers with various cards. Not the entire deck.

Yeah could be but I find the method not good for that either, the cards tend to split when your scrape them with some sharp object. Its not an even cut, it results in a cut that is a bit too obvious.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
No one knows for sure, but I think what Vernon left out is that cheaters would sometimes carry a small device for clamping the cards together tightly. You can find a picture of one such device on p. 216 of "Sharps and Flats" by Maskelyne, where it's called a "stripper plate." Once the card(s) are clamped into that device, a razor or piece of glass CAN trim them without damaging the edges too much.

Perhaps someone better at embedding images can find that image from S&F and post it here. Once you see it, you'll say, "Oh...yes, that would've probably worked."

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2022, JasonEngland wrote:
No one knows for sure, but I think what Vernon left out is that cheaters would sometimes carry a small device for clamping the cards together tightly. You can find a picture of one such device on p. 216 of "Sharps and Flats" by Maskelyne, where it's called a "stripper plate." Once the card(s) are clamped into that device, a razor or piece of glass CAN trim them without damaging the edges too much.

Perhaps someone better at embedding images can find that image from S&F and post it here. Once you see it, you'll say, "Oh...yes, that would've probably worked."

Jason

Yeah that makes more sense. I feel like if a cheat wanted to create strippers in the bathroom they would have the tools for making them instead of relying on finding a broken piece of glass in the bathroom. They would have a proper razor blade that they can cleanly cut the cards instead of "rubbing the cards" with a piece of glass like Vernon describes the process. Having the clamp type of a device that allows for precise cuts where you can adjust the "depth" of the cuts would be optimal, where you can adjust how deep the cards go into the clamp and how much of the cards are extending over the clamp so you can just cut all the excess from the sides the come over the sides of the clamp. I am sure there are various adjustable devices for making different kinds of strippers out there.
Ray J
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1503 Posts

Profile of Ray J
Stripper Plate depiction from Sharps and Flats.

Click here to view attached image.
Tom Gagnon
View Profile
V.I.P.
275 Posts

Profile of Tom Gagnon
The image of the stripper plate is curved. Which to me indicates negative strippers.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Oh yeah that would be a great aid in making negative belly strippers. If you got that in your pocket when you go to the bathroom with a deck of cards you are probably going to have a razor blade to cut the cards instead of relying on a broken piece of glass. I just can not see how a broken piece of glass would be something a professional cheater relies on for cutting strippers.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2022, Tom Gagnon wrote:
The image of the stripper plate is curved. Which to me indicates negative strippers.

That's correct. Bathroom strippers were ALWAYS negative strippers. They have to be symmetrical strippers, so only negatives and true belly-strippers would work. Negatives are the best choice since you only hit the cards you care about. With bellies, you have to trim every card. No way you're doing that in the bathroom. That's spelled out a little better in the actual Cervon Notebooks. I don't think it's even mentioned in the Inner Secrets write-up.

I should point out that I think "bathroom strippers" were sometimes made by hustlers without access to a trimming device. I don't think Vernon was wrong about that. Charlie Miller once described a deck made by rubbing it on the sidewalk! Vernon wasn't trying to describe what was common, merely what was possible.

I just wanted to let people know about those pocket devices that help make high-quality strippers in a matter of seconds.

Jason
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On Apr 28, 2022, JasonEngland wrote:
Quote:
On Apr 27, 2022, Tom Gagnon wrote:

That's correct. Bathroom strippers were ALWAYS negative strippers. They have to be symmetrical strippers, so only negatives and true belly-strippers would work. Negatives are the best choice since you only hit the cards you care about. With bellies, you have to trim every card. No way you're doing that in the bathroom. That's spelled out a little better in the actual Cervon Notebooks. I don't think it's even mentioned in the Inner Secrets write-up.

I should point out that I think "bathroom strippers" were sometimes made by hustlers without access to a trimming device. I don't think Vernon was wrong about that. Charlie Miller once described a deck made by rubbing it on the sidewalk! Vernon wasn't trying to describe what was common, merely what was possible.

I just wanted to let people know about those pocket devices that help make high-quality strippers in a matter of seconds.

Jason

How obvious would a belly stripper deck be for a layman? Having negative strippers in the deck would fly by most people if the cut is not too obvious to the eye and such a deck can be given to be shuffled by the spectator, but what about a whole deck that has been stripped with a cards where the belly has not been stripped, would those cards stand out to a layman who gets to handle and shuffle the deck since they are essentially sticking out from the sides if the deck is squared?
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Good belly-strippers can be made incredibly fine. Hard to pull, even for someone that knows what they're doing. Arrange for the sucker to think that he's the one that brought them to the game and it's even harder for them to suspect the deck.

Jason
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
I think Dai Vernon was talking out of his rear end with this one - and I'm a Vernon fan.

Look at it logically. A hustler goes into a bog, finds a piece of broken glass, then sits there shaving the edges, transforming the pack into expertly cut homemade strippers, that will be accepted under fire.

Really? Pull the other one, it's got bells on!

That said, if anyone does believe the story, then I own a golden bridge in London that I can sell you - for just a Million quid. Just PM me with all your bank details, so that I know you are a genuine buyer.

However, the instant, homemade stripper story was used in adverts to gain interest......and no doubt help to flog the book. That's marketing for ya! I can imagine Dai Vernon sitting there peeing himself with laughter, telling Lewis Ganson to include that story.

For those still undecided whether the story was true. Just ask yourself, why wouldn't the mechanic simply ring in a stripper pack, already perfectly prepared?

Or would you always have a good reason for vanishing off into the carsey clutching a pack of cards? "Excuse me, are you finished with the toilet yet"? "Errrrrr, hang on.....I'm just up to the Jack of Hearts".

I've said this many times before. Magicians are amongst the most trusting, gullible people that I've ever met during my lifetime. I've no doubt whatsoever, that Dai Vernon thought similar. Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
1tepa1
View Profile
Inner circle
1282 Posts

Profile of 1tepa1
Quote:
On May 4, 2022, Merc Man wrote:
I think Dai Vernon was talking out of his rear end with this one - and I'm a Vernon fan.

Look at it logically. A hustler goes into a bog, finds a piece of broken glass, then sits there shaving the edges, transforming the pack into expertly cut homemade strippers, that will be accepted under fire.

Really? Pull the other one, it's got bells on!

That said, if anyone does believe the story, then I own a golden bridge in London that I can sell you - for just a Million quid. Just PM me with all your bank details, so that I know you are a genuine buyer.

However, the instant, homemade stripper story was used in adverts to gain interest......and no doubt help to flog the book. That's marketing for ya! I can imagine Dai Vernon sitting there peeing himself with laughter, telling Lewis Ganson to include that story.

For those still undecided whether the story was true. Just ask yourself, why wouldn't the mechanic simply ring in a stripper pack, already perfectly prepared?

Or would you always have a good reason for vanishing off into the carsey clutching a pack of cards? "Excuse me, are you finished with the toilet yet"? "Errrrrr, hang on.....I'm just up to the Jack of Hearts".

I've said this many times before. Magicians are amongst the most trusting, gullible people that I've ever met during my lifetime. I've no doubt whatsoever, that Dai Vernon thought similar. Smile

Yeah it feels like it was used to advertise the book. The first things that are said about bathroom strippers in the book is something along the lines "Many of you have probably skipped the other parts of the book and come straight to here", implying that people knew about that secret being in the book prior to obtaining the book, and implying that the writer of the book knew that people knew about bathroom strippers being in the book before the book was even published, and implying that the bathroom stripper thing was a big reason for people buying that book in the first place.
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
Quote:
On May 6, 2022, 1tepa1 wrote:
Yeah it feels like it was used to advertise the book. The first things that are said about bathroom strippers in the book is something along the lines "Many of you have probably skipped the other parts of the book and come straight to here"

Indeed it does......but I can't help but think that there would have been quite a few people disappointed!

The book was initially released by Harry Stanley, owner of the Unique Magic Studio London in 1959. The 'bathroom stripper' element was used in the advert within the Monthly in-house GEN Magazine.

However, I've heard from a number of people over the years that Harry Stanley was a bit of a rogue - so he probably never lost any sleep over it. In fact, I'm surprised he never sold a bit of broken glass to go with the book - no doubt, some Magicians would have bought it! Smile
Barry Allen

Over 14 years have passed - and still missing Abra Magazine arriving every Saturday morning.
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Quote:
On May 4, 2022, Merc Man wrote:

Quote:

Who said anything about "expertly cut?" Vernon is clearly describing a "rough hustle" that would be done in a pinch by a cheater that was otherwise unprepared but saw an opportunity and seized it. There would be nothing "perfectly prepared" about them. That doesn't mean they wouldn't get the money, just that they were made under less-than-ideal circumstances.

Also, I can't tell if you're purposefully overstating how long this would take or if you just don't know what you're talking about. You don't hit the whole deck - maybe 3 to 6 cards at the most. It might take you 2 minutes, tops.

With regard to why the cheater wouldn't just switch in a perfectly made deck of strippers, couldn't you apply this "logic" to every time someone marked a deck on the fly? Why do that? Why not just switch in a deck you made at home under ideal circumstances? Well, maybe because switching decks and playing paper are two different skill sets? A cheater may have one but not the other. Same with pulling strippers. I can make them in 30 seconds in a bathroom before the game starts, but I don't know any deck switches, so I do what I have to do in a pinch.

No one (not even Vernon) is or was suggesting that this was a frequent occurrence. Only that it was possible to make strippers out of just about anything under the right (or wrong, depending on how you look at it) circumstances.

Making bathroom strippers was an emergency measure - not something anyone planned on doing. It isn't fair to mischaracterize it just to criticize the concept or Vernon's recounting of some story he was told once.

By the way, this is the part where I tell you Giorgio used to make them with his thumbnail to fool guys at the Magic Castle. I saw him do it in person. Wonder why he didn't make them at home beforehand and just switch decks. Clearly he wasn't thinking "logically."

Jason
Merc Man
View Profile
Inner circle
NUNEATON, Warwickshire
2536 Posts

Profile of Merc Man
If I send you a piece of jagged glass, will you make me some oh great one?

You can record it - and Penguin can flog it as a $10 download.

Anyway, are you interested in buying my Golden Bridge in London?

I'll be back shortly.....just going to put a brick through my neighbours bog window. Smile
Barry Allen

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bathroom strippers in vernons inner card magic book (8 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL