The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Contrary Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
Normally a magician will propose something unreal and then prove it real in effect. However, I think one could do it contrarywise: show something is real and then prove it is unreal. i.e., in effect, one’s assistant turns out to be a robot. An Orange Clockwork, as opposed to a Clockwork Orange, if you will.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9460 Posts

Profile of funsway
At a wedding dinner show, I once took some real rosebuds from the center table and used them in a C&B type effect --
then plucked off petals, dropped them into a bowls of water to change into petal-like slips of paper with inspirational messages
to be read by guests.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you kindly, Ken. The rose petal effect seems to fit the bill.

Nature never lies, except by magic. Smile

It reminds me of an old card trick where at the end of a routine, the pack of playing are transformed into butterflies, in effect.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
“Cardini covers up every steal with a carefully designed, natural gesture. The monocle drops from his eye as he registers bewilderment; in that moment a steal has been made. A laugh comes when he blows smoke through a monocle he has been wearing, without a glass: another crucial move has occurred. An imitator at the Palladium once did his act down to the last move, without realizing why certain mannerisms he had copied were a part of the technical usefulness of the originator's act.”

http://cardini.tv/text/18/

The glassless monocle seems to fit the contrary bill, as it goes from real to unreal.

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3583 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
Penn and Teller's "Lighting a Cigarette" fits the bill. So does their Cups and Balls reveal.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you, Pop. I have just watched “Penn & Teller - Lighting a Cigarette?” but I think I will need to watch it many more times before I understand it and how it fits the bill.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
Pop, are you suggesting they fit the bill because they expose the secret?

Tommy
Pop Haydn
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3583 Posts

Profile of Pop Haydn
No, because they deconstruct the illusion. Teller shows something that seems normal and unremarkable--he lights a cigarette. There is no "secret" for the audience to discover. But they deconstruct to show the extraordinary methodology used to create the illusion of "lighting a cigarette."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
Thank you, Pop. I think I need some sleep.
Smile

Tommy
Kanawati
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
293 Posts

Profile of Kanawati
Hi Tommy, This trick hasn’t arrived in the mail yet but I’m wondering if it fits your description of contrary magic?
https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/17164
4 cards are shown. One at a time a hole appears in each card. The magician proves the holes are real. Having established that, the magician then shows that each hole is not real. Instead of holes the audience now sees stickers. What was clearly real was just an illusion. Again I don’t have it in hand yet so not sure how it will play but I found it delightfully offbeat and rather than use the presentation included I have a different story/script in mind for it.

But now you’ve got me using up some brain cells! Is there really a difference between going from unreal to real vs real to unreal? Ie an empty box turns out to be full. Maybe the distinction, if there is one, comes from our presentation rather than the effect? Maybe it’s time for me to go to bed! John
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
Well, I do not really know, Kanawati, but I think If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck. I also think it might be fun to claim that this here duck is not real but is actually a ghost and prove it.

Tommy
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9460 Posts

Profile of funsway
I keep thinking of that wonderful mime video with the statue that comes alive - or the head does, etc.,
with interplay between real vs imaged back and forth. The guy is French I believe.

Not a popular mine statue, but a long stage performance.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
9460 Posts

Profile of funsway

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy
His name is Jerome Murat. It is a beautiful interplay between the real and the unreal but I am not sure which way it goes. I think I would regard a statue as unreal and it seems to me to go from the unreal to the real and back to the unreal.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
16339 Posts

Profile of tommy

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Contrary Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL