The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom Block Penetration by Magic Wagon (13 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1087 Posts

Profile of taller8
I love the silent presentation.

Sometimes no words is the best. Seems to increase the drama, and doesn't bore the spec. listening to some contrived story.
aechecop
View Profile
Regular user
115 Posts

Profile of aechecop
It was funny to see how all those who jumped to conclusions about this effect were proven wrong...
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3700 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On May 23, 2022, Raymond42 wrote:
I fully agree. Brilliant presentations, but the suspicious block always detracts from the magic - more of a puzzle as to how does the block work. But that's only my personal opinion!

We have several "block off rope" type apparatus(es?), but from a practical performing standpoint, my favorite has always been the BLOK-KORD effect by Lyman Allen; ungimmicked block and one ungimmicked rope.

Julie
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On May 21, 2022, Doric wrote:
Fantastic presentation! Your new ideas and additions
go way beyond Madison's basic demo and elevate the effect.

Doric, thanks a lot ⭐ My wife was totally surprised & thrilled, examined the block and remained perplexed

However, threading the old Tibetan shoelace of my Lama through required some very deep relaxation ...
nickbtx
View Profile
New user
Just East of the Cadillac Ranch
12 Posts

Profile of nickbtx
Quote:
On May 19, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Spectator can inspect the block and nothing is movable or to hear ⭐️ Very good workmanship

That's a bit misleading. I would never hand the block out for examination. It doesn't take much scrutiny to see that it's gaffed even if nothing moves or there is nothing to hear. Better off to leave them guessing.
magic11ryan
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of magic11ryan
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2022, nickbtx wrote:
Quote:
On May 19, 2022, Magic Dust wrote:
Spectator can inspect the block and nothing is movable or to hear ⭐️ Very good workmanship

That's a bit misleading. I would never hand the block out for examination. It doesn't take much scrutiny to see that it's gaffed even if nothing moves or there is nothing to hear. Better off to leave them guessing.

I agree...
Magic Dust
View Profile
Special user
696 Posts

Profile of Magic Dust
Quote:
On Jun 3, 2022, magic11ryan wrote:
I agree...

I disagree, I have done it several times and it was not a problem

However, with other tricks it may be partly more true ...
nickbtx
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of nickbtx
@Magic Dust, Nice presentation! You've got some good ideas and you made it your own.

Over the years I've bought a lot of effects like this that end up on the shelf, never to be enjoyed, but I have a feeling that won't be the case with MW's Phantom Block Penetration. The more time I spend with this prop, the more I enjoy performing it. Somewhere I read that performing this, "looks and feels like real magic." I completely understand what that writer was saying. It's very satisfying when the magic happens. Smile

A couple of things I've learned: rapping the block sharply against the table is convincing and a small, discrete, pencil mark on a certain something makes handling much smoother.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
851 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis

The updated Magic Wagon complete original retail price list including Phantom Block Penetration can be viewed or downloaded here.

Click Here

Tony
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.
www.tonycurtismagic.com/archive.html
nickbtx
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of nickbtx
Quote:
On Jun 8, 2022, Tony Curtis wrote:

The updated Magic Wagon complete original retail price list including Phantom Block Penetration can be viewed or downloaded here.

Click Here

Tony

Thank you, Tony. I know this has got to be a labor of love.
Magical Moments
View Profile
Loyal user
219 Posts

Profile of Magical Moments
As always, thank you Tony.

Perhaps it would be beneficial to both sellers and buyers if there was a formula for determining the reasonable markup for items being offered for sale. A good starting point may be twice the original selling price. Then, some would be more valuable and some even less valuable depending on the rating of the release.

IMO, no Magic Wagon release should ever be worth less than the original selling price.

Thoughts?
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
851 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Currently there are some Magic Wagon items for sale on The Magic Café for less than the original retail price. Obviously the earlier released items are now commanding a premium along with the ones that were produced in limited numbers.

Tony
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.
www.tonycurtismagic.com/archive.html
Doric
View Profile
Special user
801 Posts

Profile of Doric
I'm not surprised items are currently selling for less than the original retail price. There's a cost of living crisis.

If people are able to hold onto their pieces they will increase in value over the longer term.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
4937 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
I don't think there can ever be a formula for any collectible, as it ultimately comes down to the old law of supply and demand. Some Magic Wagon props are more desirable because of the immediate and long-lasting reviews and praise they garnered long after the excitement of the original release. Then, as Doric mentioned, add in the economic factor and the supply and demand scale is heavily askew with Magic Wagon owners potentially seeking funds but finding no buyers, as fewer and fewer collectors have disposable cash. Chalk one up to little demand and too much supply, and we must all remember not to speculate by investing in magic for any kind of predictable return.

Conversely, when I look for new or slightly used commercial props here on the Café, I expect to see at least a 10 - 20% discount off of the original retail price with free shipping (U.S. to U.S. customers). For collectibles, I don't mind paying more than the original retail price if it's a prop I'm looking for, and I never begrudge a seller for asking more than she or he paid for that reason. He may not get the asking price, but he is certainly entitled to ask. The Café doesn't allow bidding, so asking for more money than one is expecting to receive is the only way to get a reasonable return on one's "investment." Interested buyers can always PM the seller and negotiate a mutually agreed upon price.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Phantom Block Penetration by Magic Wagon (13 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL