The Magic Cafť
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Keymaster (2022 Version) by Craig Petty & Penguin Magic (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
There seems to be several posts about different versions of Keymaster popping up now that I have released the new version with Penguin Magic. I thought I would make a new post to clear everything up.

The original Keymaster was released in 2009. It was based on Holy Moly by Jay Sankey using keys. By putting a hole on the stem of the key it allows to have a very unexpected second phase with the hole appearing on the stem in the spectators hand. It also allows lots of visuals of holes moving down the stem of a key.

Keymaster Reloaded was released in 2012. It was a sequel to Keymaster and introduced three new gimmicked keys. They mainly revolves around the concept of incorporating the Chinatown half gimmick into the keys. It was a good idea but to honest was overkill and didnít really add to the plot.

Keymaster Chrome was released in 2017. I canít really say anything about this product. It was released when I was taking a break from the magic community. I wasnít told about the trick being released and ended up buying one myself to see what the product was. Basically it was the original Keymaster with Chrome keys. There was nothing added to the project as far as I am aware.

That brings us to the new version released via Penguin. There are a few advantages IMO. Firstly the keys look awesome. They are smaller and the holes are smaller which make them easier to handle. They look much better then the original Keymaster. Also I insisted on the keys being uncut. I actually prefer using uncut keys however if you want to cut them you can. You can also cut them to your own house key and most house keys will work no problem at all. It means you always have your gimmicks on you. The hole of the stem has actually been moved down which allows some very clear displays.

There is also an extra key. A complete key blank. This is something that creates some really cool routines not possible with the original Keymaster. Plus lots of people have asked for this type of gimmick to be included. However the project also includes multiple routines with the keys beyond just the original Keymaster routine. I combine the keys with cards, bills, coins and business cards for some really cool moments. I also talk about how to routine these tricks together into a 15 mins act that hangs on your keychain and you are ready to go. Iíve been working on the Keymaster plot for almost 15 years so I have a lot of thoughts and routines. As you would expect from a product I release the tutorial is very thorough.

People have mentioned Jay Sankey. The original Keymaster was based on Holy Moly but I wanted to move the holes onto keys which seemed more organic. Jay has also put out Key Deposit which uses a key and a key fob. The hole jumps from the fob to the key. Itís a great routine but itís one phase. With Keymaster once the hole has jumped onto the key it then jumps back onto the original key in the spectators hand but ends up on the stem. This is only possible because of using two keys and having the spectators focus placed on the head of the key. They never suspect the hole being on the stem. It also allows for a lot of visual moment not possible with key deposit. The leap forward (IMO) is the use of two keys and the use of the stem. However the new project goes even further in a different direction.

Finally I have had people ask about the key on string routine on the project and itís similarities to Leaving Home by Jay Sankey. Jays routine uses a key tied into a string hanging around his neck. This routine has more in common with a standard ring of string routine like Ring Leader by Greg Wilson. The final phase however allows the spectator the pull the key of the string themselves and examine everything and with no
switches you ask the spectator to look at the key they are holding. They will see there is no hole in the key so the trick was never even possible. This ĎSixth Sense Momentí gives a ring and string routine a finale without having to borrow a ring and have it end up in an impossible location. And as with the rest of the tricks the effect is routined into a longer sequence of tricks.

I hope that answers all the questions. As I said I released Keymaster 14 years ago I personally think this is the final word on the Keymaster plot.

I hope that helps. Any questions let me know.

You can buy it here.

https://www.penguinmagic.com/p/17235
[url=http://www.youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualMagic TV YouTube Channel by Craig Petty[/url]
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2342 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
That is awesome Craig! Will be checking it out tonight.
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
http://www.facebook.com/Doug.Lippert
danHumphrey
View Profile
Loyal user
248 Posts

Profile of danHumphrey
I've ordered this and I'm keen to see if it actually can be cut without the hole in the stem being impacted
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On May 24, 2022, danHumphrey wrote:
I've ordered this and I'm keen to see if it actually can be cut without the hole in the stem being impacted

Most keys wonít have a problem as the hole is slightly off centre. If there is an issue you can get them cut to a random
Key which any key cutters can do easily. I actually prefer to use uncut keys as you will see in all the performances on my channel and I know a lot of people that prefer uncut keys. But there wonít be a problem as if you want them cut one way or another it can be done easily.
[url=http://www.youtube.com/c/slightlyunusualMagic TV YouTube Channel by Craig Petty[/url]
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2650 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I picked this up. Lots of new material. Well worth it.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
954 Posts

Profile of scott0819
What episode of Magician Impossible did Dynamo use this on? I've never seen it.
JoelDickinson
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
1392 Posts

Profile of JoelDickinson
Keymaster is my favourite Craig Petty release.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is..
When Craig said 'this marks the final word on the keymaster project', they have just got better and better.

Keymaster's are so magical, engaging and packed with punch after punch and kick after kick.
I can't wait to pick this new version up to get a few more digs in.

Joel.
northernmiracles.com
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On May 24, 2022, scott0819 wrote:
What episode of Magician Impossible did Dynamo use this on? I've never seen it.

I canít remember which episode to be honest. The scene was in a keycutters and it was framed as if Dynamo asked to be passed a couple of the keys from behind the counter. It was a great way of doing it for TV to be honest.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On May 24, 2022, Xcath1 wrote:
I picked this up. Lots of new material. Well worth it.

Thank you so much.

Glad you like it.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On May 24, 2022, JoelDickinson wrote:
Keymaster is my favourite Craig Petty release.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is..
When Craig said 'this marks the final word on the keymaster project', they have just got better and better.

Keymaster's are so magical, engaging and packed with punch after punch and kick after kick.
I can't wait to pick this new version up to get a few more digs in.

Joel.

Thanks so much. Check out the coin and let routine. Itís probably my favourite at the moment.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On May 24, 2022, Craig Petty wrote:
Quote:

Most keys wonít have a problem as the hole is slightly off centre. If there is an issue you can get them cut to a random
Key which any key cutters can do easily. I actually prefer to use uncut keys as you will see in all the performances on my channel and I know a lot of people that prefer uncut keys. But there wonít be a problem as if you want them cut one way or another it can be done easily.

Ok, so Iím rethinking my aversion to using uncut keys. Maybe there is a nice way to work it into the effect to enhance it rather than diminish it.
Or is this just worrying about nothing?
When people like Craig say they are using uncut keys, are you just using them without commenting on them? Or do you use some type of explanation that might even lead to a funny line or gag? Curious to know what is working best for folks?
John Gerard
View Profile
Loyal user
Guam
273 Posts

Profile of John Gerard
I donít have this, but what if your presentation is about destruction and repair abilities it could be that you control the destruction and repair of the key? You do the holes moving around. End the routine with a cut key saying that this is one of the uses of this ability ó not ever having to pay to cut keys again.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6063 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On May 24, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok, so Iím rethinking my aversion to using uncut keys. Maybe there is a nice way to work it into the effect to enhance it rather than diminish it.
When people like Craig say they are using uncut keys, are you just using them without commenting on them? Or do you use some type of explanation that might even lead to a funny line or gag? Curious to know what is working best for folks?

In the other thread for this I posted about using uncut keys. My first version was uncut and then I bought the next version which came cut. After performing with both sets many many times I can confidently say that the audiences reactions were always great, it did not matter if the keys were cut or uncut. It made no difference.

Throughout the routine the spectator gets to hold all the keys in their own hands and inspect them until the cows come home if they want. It does not matter one way or the other.
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:
On May 24, 2022, videoman wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I do actually use the fact that the keys are uncut in my presentation. I hand them out for examination and ask the spectators if they see anything unusual. They never notice the fact that the keys are uncut. When I pointed out they then realise. It allows me to talk about Magic being something that hides in plain sight and I reference the picture that went around social media a couple of years ago of the cigar on the brick wall. I say that if youíre not looking for something you will never see it. That is then the leading to go into the first routine in my KeyMaster act. The audience are always surprised when they havenít noticed that the keys are uncut nobody ever notices. Itís crazy really

Does that make sense?
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks Craig, it does make sense and I like the concept behind it. That's what I meant when I said something that would enhance the routine. I feel you've done that in this case.
I can imagine most everyone not noticing they are uncut is also why RNK has said it does not matter whether they are or not.

Sincere apologies for my earlier griping about the keys not being cut. That was unfair and if I could delete that post I would.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6063 Posts

Profile of RNK
Honestly, the magic is so strong in this routine that I don't think it matters if you make the audience aware of cut or uncut keys. The reactions are the same with both.
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
2650 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
Virgin keys, keys with unlimited potential, keys that canít open anything so could potentially open everything.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6063 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
Virgin keys, keys with unlimited potential, keys that canít open anything so could potentially open everything.

Wow! What an awesome statement!! Just love it. What a great foundation statement to really build a special presentation.

Thanks for sharing that with us Xcath1...
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
Thanks for all the great replies to my question so far.
You have all given me much food for thought.
Iím not sure Iíll even be able to keep using my cut keys now! 😃
Craig Petty
View Profile
V.I.P.
UK
1790 Posts

Profile of Craig Petty
Quote:

I absolutely love that. Thanks for sharing
The Magic Cafe Forum Index Ľ Ľ Latest and Greatest? Ľ Ľ Keymaster (2022 Version) by Craig Petty & Penguin Magic (9 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL