The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Keymaster (2022 Version) by Craig Petty & Penguin Magic (9 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
275 Posts

Profile of Martello
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2022, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2022, Martello wrote:
I'm amazed that people are discussing having a key cut to match their own keys. Have any of them watched the instructions for this? One of the main points that Craig makes is that these keys are uncut! Saying that these are what keys look like before they are cut to fit your door. Am I missing something?

Arthur


I don't get it either Arthur....no spectator is going to notice that your key not cut perfectly to other keys. Very strange. Not to mention, as mentioned earlier even by Craig, whether they are cut or not will make zero difference on the reactions you get. Heck, I bend uncut keys with FLEXION and people are amazed. They never think the key is "special" because it's not cut. Why? Because just like in the Keymaster routine they get to handle all the keys and examine them. I honestly think the people who are worried may not have extensive performance experience because if they did they would realize the same thing. I have performed it with both cut and uncut and get the same reactions. I'm sure those who have spoken here about this issue may get mad at me for saying that but if you actually have been performing it, as I am sure Craig has many times (and as I stated earlier I have performed this hundreds of times) you will see it does not matter.

I do believe that you are correct in assuming that these people have little performing experience. As a matter of fact, in my opinion, it is better to have uncut keys with the explanation that these are what keys look like prior to being cut. The ones that you find in hardware stores before they are cut to your specs. People really have little clue what transpires in the real world.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6063 Posts

Profile of RNK
I mean how much more convincing do some of these performers want, the spectator HANDLES evey key throughout the routine. You can let them examine every key until the cows come home if you want.
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1519 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
I have all 3 versions of Keymaster and I agree with Martello that having uncut keys gives you an opportunity for your presentation regarding them having the possibility of opening any lock. Granted that's not true but it's a nice presentational angle that I will be using.

I also can't imagine people thinking the chrome, pre-cut keys are a problem and "don't look right."

If anyone likes the plot and wants something smaller, Jay Sankey's "Holey Moley" is an amazing trick that with washers that he put out 1. Like Keymaster, there are multiple phases and gimmicks so you can put together your own routine.

I definitely recommend you look up Holey Moley at the Café to see what others say.

Cheers
LankyHobo
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Quote:
On May 25, 2022, Craig Petty wrote:

The one I use is years old. However when Ryland does Keymaster he uses a really awesome fob that’s better than mine. I even got myself one as a spare.

Here’s the link.

PPFISH Titanium Heavy Duty Carabiner Keychain Clip, EDC Quick Release Hooks with Titanium Key Ring Set for Men Women https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09V9ZC3D1/r......F8&psc=1


Not sure if this is wrong link or whether they vary in size but I bought the silver version of this keychain and they won't fit the keymaster key holes. The holes are too small. Does the rainbow colour fit your keys, Craig?
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1519 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
It would be a simple matter to widen those holes with a drill if you have one.
LankyHobo
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
Never been much of a handyman with a drill or anything so I think I'd prefer to just get a different keychain! Smile
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1519 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
Hey guys, not sure if this is something you would use but this looks like an interesting "quick release" keychain. Inexpensive as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Silipac-Release-K......-36&th=1
ixnay66
View Profile
Inner circle
Denver
1519 Posts

Profile of ixnay66
These rings are quick release as well. Just push the ring to the side to create the gap to add or remove. I think I like this the best.

Titanium in a 2-pack for $13

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0994PQQZN?pd_......d94041a3
LankyHobo
View Profile
Regular user
192 Posts

Profile of LankyHobo
I did just want to say though that the Keymaster project is fantastic. So much material from Craig and brilliantly routined. It's all so visual but perfectly choreographed with moves flowing nicely into each other. It's also really fun to practice. And the key on string part is great. With just a few keys and a piece of string in your pocket you've got some amazing magic that's as fooling as it is fun to perform.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
I admit I was one of those who didn’t care for the uncut keys. But not because I felt like specs would care or that the reactions wouldn’t be as strong. It was more due to the perfectionism I’m often plagued with. I just felt like the uncut keys seemed odd and it bothered ME regardless if anyone else noticed. In the same way I find it difficult to use a maiden back gimmick in a deck of rider backs, even though I know on an intellectual level that a spectator will never notice the difference. It simply bothers ME.

But because of the many comments here I am forcing myself to put my OCD about using uncut keys aside and actually use them uncut. But I still think my personal preference would be to use cut keys. But again, that’s simply a personal preference.

But I still don’t buy this reasoning that one reason they are uncut is so people can use them as their house key. I would wager there aren’t 3 people using these as house keys. I have a box of no longer used deadbolts and I’m going to see if a key maker can even use the Keymaster blank to make a duplicate house key from one of these. This is just to satisfy my curiosity and not because I intend to use it as a house key.



Quote:
On Jun 10, 2022, RNK wrote:
Quote:
On Jun 10, 2022, Martello wrote:
I'm amazed that people are discussing having a key cut to match their own keys. Have any of them watched the instructions for this? One of the main points that Craig makes is that these keys are uncut! Saying that these are what keys look like before they are cut to fit your door. Am I missing something?

Arthur


I don't get it either Arthur....no spectator is going to notice that your key not cut perfectly to other keys. Very strange. Not to mention, as mentioned earlier even by Craig, whether they are cut or not will make zero difference on the reactions you get. Heck, I bend uncut keys with FLEXION and people are amazed. They never think the key is "special" because it's not cut. Why? Because just like in the Keymaster routine they get to handle all the keys and examine them. I honestly think the people who are worried may not have extensive performance experience because if they did they would realize the same thing. I have performed it with both cut and uncut and get the same reactions. I'm sure those who have spoken here about this issue may get mad at me for saying that but if you actually have been performing it, as I am sure Craig has many times (and as I stated earlier I have performed this hundreds of times) you will see it does not matter.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3995 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I really love this, but I could use some help:

1. Can anyone provide a link to one of those plastic key head covers that I could use to put the key without any holes on my keychain? I typically carry a magic act in my phone case, wallet and keychain. With that I can do mentalism, magic, and even card magic with just a few cards in my wallet. I would love for this to be "self-contained" on my keychain.

2. On my keychain now, I have copper/silver keys and I really love them. I can do magic routines or mentalism routines. I would like to add a couple "regular" keys that match the keymaster keys and paint them red and green with model paint for the "copper/silver" routines. Can anyone (including Craig) tell me the "make and model" of these keys?

Thank you.

KJ
CopperChopCup
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of CopperChopCup
“Do you recognize these? They’re uncut keys. I like to carry them around as a reminder of my own potential. They look pretty useless in this condition, but maybe we can find a way to create something more amazing that we couldn’t see before. Which one do you want to use? Whichever you choose, we’ll make something special happen with it. “
DJWilliams
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of DJWilliams
I think I own several versions of this effect, its such a crowd pleaser. sad its the last word as craig says as I was hoping for a chocolate key version that you could just take the foil off and eat at the end lol
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3995 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Quote:
On Jun 16, 2022, CopperChopCup wrote:
“Do you recognize these? They’re uncut keys. I like to carry them around as a reminder of my own potential. They look pretty useless in this condition, but maybe we can find a way to create something more amazing that we couldn’t see before. Which one do you want to use? Whichever you choose, we’ll make something special happen with it. “


While most people don't ask, and I don't explain something unless it adds to the entertainment or magic, I am prepared for when they do:
This is a different angle that some might find useful: I took a metal file and just filed some tiny groves in the same locations on all keys. I then describe them as "new technology" in keys. I sometimes tell people that they are the keys to my new safe... where I keep the bodies, I mean my treasure chest. This way, I can just give a short explanation and I don't have to go into anything more elaborate, or unusual that might take us in a direction that distracts from the magic. I think some people will find it unusual that you carry uncut keys to remind yourself of your potential. It seems that any key could "remind you of your potential". Perhaps it depends on your style of magic. If much of your magic has a "moral" associated with it, then that would be a good explanation.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
3995 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
I am still looking for key blanks that would match this set if anyone can help, that would be great.
videoman
View Profile
Inner circle
5886 Posts

Profile of videoman
Quote:
On Jun 22, 2022, 1KJ wrote:
I am still looking for key blanks that would match this set if anyone can help, that would be great.


It was my understanding that these keys have been custom made for this effect so if that is the case I’m not sure how close of a match you need but you can probably find something somewhat similar.

If they need to be identical then they’re $60 each but you get 3 free bonus keys for spares.
Al Straker
View Profile
Grammar Host
Australia
1127 Posts

Profile of Al Straker
As someone who had the privelidge of being an early reviewer of Craig's releases right from day 1 with 'Attack of the Bag' (still a classic IMHO!), all I can say is that I am continually blown away by Craig's endless squeezing of every last drop of magic from every item he touches. It is quite stunning when you go back and gain a sense of just how much excellent practical and strong material Craig has released over the years with such notable releases as 'Flipped Out', 'Split Happens', 'Blank', 'Chop', and of course the brilliant evolution of 'Keymaster'. Craig is essentially UK's answer to Jay Sankey with hyper creative abilities and outstanding magic skills to back them. This latest evolution of Keymaster is a close up dream effect and with the appropriate time dedicated to working up a routine, this should happily sit in the sets of many working pros.
Al Straker
Resident Mystery Entertainer at Multiple Venues
Music & Mentalism Specialty Act 'Completely Mental'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyGhApqnG7I

(Old clip, show has changed quite a bit since then!)

Jazz & Contemporary Musician/Composer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnN3JNmeKns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU_zfOvpneA
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Keymaster (2022 Version) by Craig Petty & Penguin Magic (9 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL