We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Old Bronze soft practice coins (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Some folks have been exploring coin magic using "well worn" dollars, half dollars, or half crowns. If you'd like to explore working with such coins before paying for silver ... English Penny coins from the same years are far less expensive and almost exactly half dollar size... and less thick than silver coins. A little shopping around and you can find nice dark bronze coins for a couple of dollars a coin. This is also a good chance to learn how coins lighten or darken over time from handling.

It's a lot less expensive to replace a dented English Penny than a silver coin.

You want the coins uncleaned, with that century of ground in oxide, oil, and a little grime.

Hope this helps, Smile

Jon
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9512 Posts

Profile of funsway
I have a set of three with a slippery shell that is very dark and mysterious - I think from the early 50's

When I took them to the local Magic Circle for "Show and Tell" I got many suggestions on how to clean them up. Sigh!
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
tonsofquestions
View Profile
Inner circle
1397 Posts

Profile of tonsofquestions
I agree with a lot of the pros here.

I personally like the look of the dark coins, while some want the brighter coins so they flash and are more visible - especially with retentions. Perhaps that's why some try to clean them.

It is worth pointing out, though, that different metals react differently with oils in different people's skin.
So some folks end up with a metallic smell on their hands when they handle copper (or even clad) coins. Copper rings can tarnish and leave fingers greenish. This is why some prefer silver, which is nonreactive. It's not necessarily a reason to never do copper - and it's definitely a benefit when comparing prices on dollar-sized coins - but it is important to bring up early so people are aware.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27236 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Agreed that some people react to copper. Hopefully our readers will have already figured out what contrasting coins work for them. Smile

Going back to the old English Pennies - there's an Eddie Joseph trick, (once called locust but later sold as shattering coins) which is easier to learn with well worn coins.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9512 Posts

Profile of funsway
One of my favorite presentation approaches is having a basket of mixed objects from which various spectators make a selection.
I then perform an Effect using that object and perhaps others of a contrasting or similar nature.
This mix always included old cooper coins along with new, shiny silver ones, poker chips, finger rings, etc.

If more that two selections were made an old English Penny was always offered and I had a profound Effect in reserve for that.
The reaction was often, "Of course they have more magic!" Did their special appeal cause me to perform better magic?

Was the audience expectation different? Was the heightened contrast more visually appealing? Does it matter why?
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4378 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Worn copper coins work well with worn silver coins for many of the routines that incorporate the Slide move, found in Rubinstein Coin Magic. Here is one of them:
https://youtu.be/duAUq02V7o8
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
pabloinus
View Profile
Inner circle
1671 Posts

Profile of pabloinus
Great routine Michael, very clear to follow it
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4378 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
Thanks, it is based on Roth's Purse and Glass, but without the elaborate set-up, and done standing up (the patter is also David's!!)
RUBINSTEIN COIN MAGIC SPECIAL:
I HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF COPIES AVAILABLE TO BE SIGNED, AND COME WITH A SPECIAL FREE GIFT! If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Old Bronze soft practice coins (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL