We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte HACKED by Brent Braun and Andy DeFrane (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
787 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I have been made aware of this new version of Color Monte by a post on another thread. Seems to me it deserves a thread of its own....

https://brickandmortarmagic.com/collecti......-defrane

NB. I do NOT own this effect, and this is NOT a review. I just want to start a discussion.

They have eliminated the horrible Alignment Move - but there are a several aspects that bother me -

1. As far as I can tell, they must be using an extra card (presumably gimmicked in a way most of us will be very familiar with).
The reason I believe this is because the display from 00.15 - 00.20 cleanly shows two separate red cards.
If I am wrong then I will be VERY impressed. But if I am right, this means they have abandoned what is perhaps the strongest aspect of CM - that it is completely clean and examinable.
I have nothing against using gaffs to get the job done; but I think there are much better Monte effects out there if you want to go down that path.

2. There seems to be a glaring discrepancy in the plot in the very first phase. (00.20 -00.35)
He says the blue card is on the bottom (where we have just seen it put).
I can't make out exactly what he says next because he talks way too fast [throughout the whole performance in fact], but he definitely says something about moving the bottom card to the top. AND he performs that action. Therefore logically the gambler should expect it to be on top. So WHY does he bet it is on the bottom??? And why are we supposed to be surprised when it is a red card on the bottom???
This simply makes no sense.
(Maybe this is why he charges through the performance in such a hurry?)

3. He skips the usual display of the blue card in all three locations, using a Flushtration Count instead. This just seems very weak. I have seen performances of CM that use the FC as an "extra" phase, but none that rely on it in this way.

Maybe others will see a positive side that eludes me?
Bob G
View Profile
Inner circle
2494 Posts

Profile of Bob G
The first time I watched, I was dazzled by the speed at which the changes happened -- so that's something positive. That was a pleasure. The second time, I noticed that Flushtration Count and was confused by the same thing you were: the blue card is clearly (supposed to be) on the top, not the bottom.

I didn't notice the clues that led you to think there was an extra card, but I wasn't looking.

I think it's hard to separate the effectiveness (or not) of the moves from some problems with the presentation.

Bob
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
787 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
I actually think there might be some mileage in starting the routine with the hustler moving the card from the bottom to the top (i.e. the opposite of how CM usually starts).
BUT the gambler's first guess MUST then be that it's on top - where the audience thinks they saw you put it - so it's a surprise when it isn't.
martyjacobs
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1288 Posts

Profile of martyjacobs
I think you're right about how this classic packet trick has been hacked; you can see the moment the cards are separated.

I like the more relaxed handling; the trick is better if you eliminate the Alignment Move. But, while this improves the trick in one way, it makes it worse in another. Not being able to examine all three cards at the end of the routine is a heavy price to pay. So, I'd use the Alignment Move and end completely clean when performing for laypeople. The fact that all three cards can be examined is what blows people's minds. But, on the other hand, everyone is going to be focused on the $14 kicker card when it makes its appearance; they're not going to care about examining the other two cards (they're face up anyhow). So, I could see myself using this handling, especially if I intended to mess with a fellow magician who also performs "Color Monte".

For years, I searched for a better alternative for the Alignment Move. Garrett Thomas has a clever solution, but it is very angle sensitive. Paul Wilson also has the fabulous Tres Arriba Count. However, it changes the location of the card when you display its face. In other words, the middle or bottom card is no longer in the middle or on the bottom. I think this confuses things.

Regarding the presentation, the guy performing it in the video needs to slow down.

I think the actions could be better justified if you recount the tale as an observer who was watching a "sucker" get taken by a fast-talking con man, as follows:

"When the guy wasn't looking, he snuck the money card from the bottom to the top of the packet..."

I use the Flushtration Count in my handling of the trick but as a secondary convincer (as you suggest). The false display isn't as deceptive when actively asking your audience to pay attention to which card is where.

I think this is a good version for those magicians who hate the Alignment Move. I made my peace with it a long time ago. After all, you're demonstrating a short con, so it should look somewhat suspicious.

Marty
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Deckless! » » Color Monte HACKED by Brent Braun and Andy DeFrane (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL