The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plans for this simple illusion by PC Sorcar? (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Does anyone know where I can find plans for an illusion like the one PC Sorcar performs in this video? (at approx the 3 minute mark)

There is an empty frame that supports 2 screens. The doors are opened to show that it is empty, then the 2 doors are closed and the screens are pierced multiple times for a variety of loads including some livestock.

It looks it could be fairly easily made if one had the plans. I've asked several places now, but no one has been able to point me towards a set of plans to build this illusion.

Any help would be immensely appreciated!

MAGICIAN PC SORCAR Festival of Magic 1957 YOUTUBE
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Hong Kong Dove Production Frames, I believe. Not sure if Abbott's sells plans for it, they do sell the prop.

Blair
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Quote:
On May 30, 2022, Blair Marshall wrote:
Hong Kong Dove Production Frames, I believe. Not sure if Abbott's sells plans for it, they do sell the prop.

Blair

I'm not certain that's an Abbott's Hong Kong type method. It appears the many loads do not come from the top, but rather from the back panel. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

Julie
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On May 30, 2022, Blair Marshall wrote:

Blair

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into this. This is the first lead I've had on this.
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
This is indeed a variation of the Hong Kong Production Easel. This style of production apparatus was very popular back in the 1910s through 1940s. There are quite a few different types with varied methods, each with advantages and disadvantages. The Thayer-Owen version called "The Hong Kong Mystery Pigeon Production" is probably the most well known followed by the Abbott's mentioned above. The blueprint number for the Thayer-Owen is 1077. The plans for the Abbott's version can be found here: https://www.abbottmagic.com/Hong-Kong-Pi......gpro.htm.

This being said, probably the most practical and deceptive version is Aubrey's Duck Easel Production. It is published in the May 1959 MUM magazine on pages 508 and 509. With the Aubrey apparatus, you lower the front panel THEN the rear panel. The prop can then be turned 360 degrees so they see straight through it from both sides. The rear panel is then returned upright followed by the front panel. So the audience sees that it is empty until the last moment. The disadvantage is that the production is only made from the front. That disadvantage can actually be removed using some of the techniques developed a little later for flip-over vanish boxes. But in most cases, it probably isn't worth the effort to move beyond Aubrey's original, simpler design.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
I should have also mentioned that a version similar to Thayer's is also in Tarbell Course of Magic Vol. 5 pages 260 to 263. It is called "The Chinese 'Flash' Pigeon Frame.

And the Aubrey method mentioned above is closer to that used by Socar. So you might want to start there.
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Did a more thorough review of my library. Turns out that Sorcar published his version in the Encyclopedia of Dove Magic volume 2 pages 195 to 199. The article is titled "Sorcar's Production Frame". It has full details on method including dinmensions and includes some fabulous photos of the original. He even talks about the TV show:

"During my appearance on NBC T.V. New York in May 1957, I performed the following effect - Sorcar's Production Frame -among other items..."
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Thanks all. I knew there was an answer to this and I think I have what I need to start in on an exciting new version of this otherwise very basic illusion!

Frank Findley, thank you for the *exact* reference!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On May 30, 2022, Julie wrote:
I'm not certain that's an Abbott's Hong Kong type method. It appears the many loads do not come from the top, but rather from the back panel. Anyone have any first hand knowledge?

Good eye. In fact, Sorcar starts the article by saying the following and talking about the differences between them: "At first sight one might think this was the old-time Dr. Nixon’s ‘Hong Kong Mystery Pigeon Production’. If you will read further you will see that this is not so...."

Quote:
On Jun 1, 2022, gaddy wrote:
Frank Findley, thank you for the *exact* reference!

You are quite welcome. Strangely looking for this actually helped me find something for which I had been searching for over a year. I do an 'enchanted garden' type routine and have been considering adding a screen like Tora Magic uses in their flower pot production. But I wanted to understand the history of that before I started using. I never thought about looking in a dove book. But there it is on page 119 as the "Nu-Three Fold Dove Screen" by Ken Bowell!

gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
That's a surprisingly effective illusion for something so simple.

It's great how a search for one thing can so often lead to the discovery of another. I find that happening more often with magic than with anything else!
FrankFindley
View Profile
Inner circle
1039 Posts

Profile of FrankFindley
Quote:
On Jun 6, 2022, gaddy wrote:
That's a surprisingly effective illusion for something so simple.

Exactly my thought too. I have been using the UF Grant Temple Screen for the job but it is a bit overkill on the 'proof' side and breaks up the flow a bit. This screen presentation seems a quicker, more natural fit for the job. But I didn't want to build one without knowing if it was an exclusive item.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Plans for this simple illusion by PC Sorcar? (4 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL