The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Some Help, Some Suggestions. (29 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TomB
View Profile
Veteran user
Michigan, USA
303 Posts

Profile of TomB
First, you need to decide what type of magic you want to perform, and who your is audience.

Do you want a card trick? Try the 21 card trick. Next graduate to Bannon's play it straight (triumph). Next try gaff cards like princess or brainwave or even ID. Get a feeling of what your like. Then graduate to ACR or red hot momma.

Coin trick? Try triad coins by joshua jay

Kid trick? Stratosphere

But get some routines! Tommy James has an excellent book on kid show routines. Read them, get inspired.

Find out the type of magic you like and buy routines and practice them.

All tricks can be great or dumb. Sell me some invisible thread. What's your pitch line? How much you charging?

The key is to be amazed by your own magic. Everytime losander floats a table, he looks amazed. Everytime you perform, it should be interesting. Write out your script. Write what you say, what you do (even which finger moves, or when you look up), and what the audience perceives. Read theory books by fitzkee or ortiz.

Tommy Wonder wrote in his books, don't ask someone if they want to see some magic. Instead ask them to see your magic. Make it important!!

Without a video I cannot judge what's wrong. What have you been performing? How much of it has changed?
optimisticfool
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of optimisticfool
Have you considered Mentalism effects? I find they are technically easier to perform, it all depends on your performance of it and the story around the effect.
Nikodemus
View Profile
Special user
831 Posts

Profile of Nikodemus
Quote:
On Jun 14, 2022, TomB wrote:
First, you need to decide what type of magic you want to perform, and who your is audience.

I agree 100% with this. You have not provided that information in this thread OR the one you posted a year ago.
Do you have aspirations to be a pro, or happy to be an amateur? (I assume the latter)
Are you trying to construct a "show" or happy to perform effects on an ad hoc basis for friends and family?

Personally, I practice and tinker with an effect for a looooong time before I feel ready to show it to anybody. I like to do just one effect at a time. ("Can I show you something I've been working on?")
And I want to do stuff that is way better than the handful of tricks quite a lot of people know. So far I have had pretty good reactions, and my confidence/ability/repertoire are developing slowly but surely.
It's important to remember that what seems like a simple trick to you, can be mind-blowing to someone else.

One key aspect is to consider any aspects of an effect that are challenging for you; then find ways to mitigate potential problems. This means you are really "owning" and personalising the effects you choose to work on. In particular, for me, this involves detailed planning of gestures etc to build in misdirection at moments that (for me) feel risky. EG. building in time to get a break before a DL.
For me (although a relative newbie) understanding how to direct the specs' attention is much more important than trying to perform sleights under pressure.

Personally I would not recommend ID if you are performing for friends. Especially if you are quite young as you appear in your photo. I would imagine that a bunch of young buddies are too likely to want to examine the deck.
There are plenty of powerful effects that end nice and clean (or much cleaner than ID anyway).

Pre-Prefiguration by Mark Elsdon, is a brilliant self-worker.

Neither Blind Nor Stupid (Tamariz) requires a simple setup. There are no sleights, just a very subtle subtlety.. And a shuffle at the end destroys the evidence.

Maybe also learn a couple of good packet tricks, that you can carry with you and perform in many situations.
Likewise, there are many great mentalism routines that require no props, or just a pen & paper.

So I think, overall, my advice boils down to - pick a few tricks you really like, practice till you know them really well, then do them in situations where you feel comfortable.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Hi all! I have an update on what I've chosen and what to work on, strongly based on everyone's suggestions.

Quote:
On Jun 17, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:

Do you have aspirations to be a pro, or happy to be an amateur? Are you trying to construct a "show" or happy to perform effects on an ad hoc basis for friends and family?

I'd be happy to have a few tricks to show to friends and family on occasion, with maybe intermediate-level table hopping being the end-goal. By intermediate, I mean a friend hires me for $50 to do 3x3 walkaround at his party. Close-up, cards coins envelopes packets billets magic/mentalism.

Here are some of the things I'm working on:

Dream Queens, thanks to Fedora: I've learned this is basically 2 phases of B'wave, but with any suit. I kind of wonder if the 3 phase reveal of B'wave is a little "too perfect" for my skill level? ... The presentation I'm working on talks about the odds; "What are the odds I took out the red queens?" "What are the odds I flipped over the queen of hearts exactly?" ... "What are the odds you selected the only queen with a different color back?"

Triad Coins/CSB, thanks to TomB: I think in Triad Coins/most sp**t coin routines, it requires a sleight or two depending upon the performance. Nothing complicated, but the mention of coin sets sent me down a rabbit hole. I've ended up with a CSB set.

Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, thanks to Fedora: Lots and lots of great material in here. A massive resource to learning things done the right way.

3 Card Monte, thanks to Fedora: I did practice Stand-up Monte some but as you mentioned, it is a bit mentally taxing to keep track of what is where and when is what... However I did realize the power that 3CM can have and was determined to find a full routine that works for me, and found Michael Skinner's Ultimate 3CM. Just as strong as sleight-heavy 3CM's but without the sleights.

Invisible Deck, thanks to landmark: I think this is my new go-to one-and-done. I thought of a new presentation for it that seems stronger; instead of asking them to shuffle an invisible deck of cards, I ask them to close their eyes and imagine shuffling/picking out a card while they're holding the cards in between their hands. Did I just loop around to the original presentation of the Ultra-Mental deck? Smile

Vanishing/Appearing Silk, thanks to Kanawati: Again, by just re-visiting my handling I feel a lot more comfortable with this. Even if people might know how it's done, why does that matter? It still looks like magic and should still be entertaining.

Color Vision, thanks to Wravyn: Your mention of Mental Block encouraged me to continue working with my Color Vision sets. It's such a simple, devious trick that is hard to mess up and annoyingly baffling.

Mentalism, thanks to optimisticfool and Nikodemus: Yes, since the start of this thread I've realized that a lot of what I'm working on/developed/tweaked is Mentalism. Dream Queens, Invisible Deck, Color Vision, etc... I polished and refined my Mental Epic and now have a version I can do with Post-It notes. To my surprise, some of my "tweaks" were mentioned in Mark Wilson's. I also have Mind Control/Hypnotic Choice; it's not incredibly strong by itself but it's fool-proof, and with a good performance it should do great.

Quote:
On Jun 17, 2022, Nikodemus wrote:

So I think, overall, my advice boils down to - pick a few tricks you really like, practice till you know them really well, then do them in situations where you feel comfortable.

So here are "a few tricks I really like", my "Big 3": Invisible Deck, CSB, Mental Epic. These are, what I think, are my strongest 3 that I feel most confident in. Someone asks me to show them something, and this is where I want to start.

Packets: Dream Queens, Hypnotic Choice, Ultimate 3CM
Prop-based: Color Vision, Vanishing/Appearing Silk, Scotch and Soda

I also re-visited the Slop Shuffle Triumph through Back in Time by Jay Sankey. This always seemed off-limits to me because it requires a card control; something I can do but I don't have the confidence for yet. However, I tweaked the handling and developed a completely sleight free version. The "Back in Time" presentation I believe can also be strong. My go to "pick a card" trick.
JG
View Profile
New user
42 Posts

Profile of JG
I won’t recommend specific tricks or effects. Without knowing you, your style, your preferences, your nature, your build, your speech, your confidence, it’s impossible to recommend an individual item out of the hundreds of thousands that exists.

What matters is what is a good for you. That can only come about through you exposing yourself to as much magic as possible. Either through a mentor, a club, or books, videos, DVDs, television etc. Identify an effect that you love and that suits you, then practice it. Learn the technical side and the presentation side. Then perform it.

Good luck with your journey and enjoy the learning process.
"PANTHERA - Improve and Develop Your Mentalism" by Jack Goldstein - a large hard backed limited edition book of mentalism, over 30 top contributors, with professional effects and essays.

Buy it now through Michael Murray at MindFX: https://www.mindfx.co.uk/
Wravyn
View Profile
Inner circle
2827 Posts

Profile of Wravyn
Will, if you are looking at something with coins for walk around/table hopping using gimmicks, may I suggest either David Roth's Coins Across or Garret Thomas's Imagination Coins? I love the Scotch and Soda coins, unfortunately it demands a reset, where as the coins across or imagination Coins pretty much resets themselves in the routine.

Yet, what JG shared:
"What matters is what is a good for you. That can only come about through you exposing yourself to as much magic as possible. Either through a mentor, a club, or books, videos, DVDs, television etc. Identify an effect that you love and that suits you, then practice it. Learn the technical side and the presentation side. Then perform it."
Is spot on.
Ravenspur
View Profile
Regular user
Granby, MA
159 Posts

Profile of Ravenspur
I'm just a hobbyist. Aside from my SAM Assembly meetings, I rarely do much performing. (I thought my high school students would be a great audience. They are not).

I think it was Wrayvn who suggested that I try a Coin Casket by Airship Magic. No physical skill required. No reset. Repeatable. A little audience management if the participant thinks s/he is clever. Great for walk-around or friends.
will lane
View Profile
Veteran user
Will likes to post so he has made
339 Posts

Profile of will lane
Hi all, again thanks for all the help so far. If you have any other suggestions or thoughts please continue to bring them to me!

I have another update on where I'm at and what I'm doing:

I did a "show" tonight. It was just for my family and my brother's girlfriend, who I hadn't done any magic for before. But, I took it seriously and really put myself into it to get practice for performing for others. So naturally I was a little nervous even though it was mostly my family and I was just performing "the hits" so to speak. It went fairly well I think, and I learned what I needed to work on including execution, script, etc...

This was my set:

Ultimate 3 Card Monte
CSB
Ultra-Mental Deck
Pad/Pencil Mental Epic
Streamer Appearance/Vanish (TT)

To my surprise, my brother's girlfriend mentioned the streamer was one of her favorites. I intentionally put it at the end so that suspension of disbelief could kick in.
questort
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of questort
There is plenty of self working magic, just look for them. Like any new skill though it takes practice, you'll get there as long as you don't give up. Also, try to narrow you focus. Better to get good at fewer routines than to overwhelm yourself and not get good at any.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need Some Help, Some Suggestions. (29 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL