The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » D'Lites? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2913 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
I don't use them at all due to the fact that pretty much every laymen who has walked past a magiczone or shop owns them (and because I just don't like them). But a few months ago I heard that Rocco wasn't the creator of them though it seems he has been passing them off as he has (in my eyes at least). Does anyone know who created D'lites (if it wasn't Rocco?)?
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26944 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
There is a very nice video of the things in use... that features some intersting poeple. Have a look at the guy in the lab coat.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
David, if you don't like D'lites you should not use them but if you don't use them because "every laymen" knows what they are and how they work, I think you would be doing yourself and the audience an injustice. Knowing how an effect is done does not necessarily ruin the enjoyment of the effect. Most of us here at the Magic Café' know how the Cups & Balls are done but I believe that most of us still enjoy watching this old effect, and new routines and story lines are always popping up to keep the Cups & Balls fresh and new.
Who doesn't know about or own a TT? Yet most of us not only have one (or a dozen) but we use them and many of us never leave home without one.
I think that D'lites are a beautiful effect in the right hands.
Jeff McBride has a new routine using D'lites (or a much brighter clone) that was pure pleasure to watch and it really showed us that it is the creative side of Magic that really makes the ordinary into the extraordinary.
As far as Rocco being the creator of D'lites, I got that same impression (just look at his licence plate on his car).
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I think Rocco was the one who popularized them, and worked out the videos, etc. but I do believe another person actually created the prop.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Xavier
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
209 Posts

Profile of Xavier
Juan Mayoral was the creator.

It's such a pity his effect was stolen and ripped off like this.
x-treem
View Profile
Inner circle
1133 Posts

Profile of x-treem
Created in 1987 by Roger Mayfarth, for Rocco.

For all you ever wanted to know check out http://www.dlite.com
A direct from text adaptation : The Strange Case Of Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Starring Mickey Rooney in his final role.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Sultangali Shukurov and Sara Kabagujina, from Alma Ata, Soviet Union, many many years ago, tied for first place with Ger Copper at the FISM in Brussells.

Flip and I stood there in tears at the end of their act, which FEATURED "lights" at the fingertips, that moved from one hand to the other, and from one person to the other... etc. etc.

It was one of the greatest magical acts I have ever seen. I tried to book them for the IBM and "almost" go them, but their VISAs were denied at the last second. (This was during the Cold War era).

This pre-dated D'Lite by many years. If someone can recall the year I would appreciate it.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Pete
I got this from the following site.
http://www.vanderwalmagic.com/linkstomagicsites/

1979--On the 30th, at FISM in Brusels there is a tie for the Grand Prix between Ger Copper of The Netherlands and Sara Kabigujina & Sultangali Shukurov of Russia.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Thank you Biro-san for the important information. Mayoral vs Rocco (Mayfarth) battle has been an exciting matter to me. The information cleared my suspision. Both were not orinaginator.

Hideo Kato
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
236 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
I remember a number of years ago Jay Scott Berry came to Vancouver Canada and demonstrated his Finger Fazers. At the time he claimed these were the original lights from fingers and that Rocco had got the idea from him.
I am aware that Mayoral uses a version of the D'Lites, infact many years ago (more than I care to remember), I purchased Mayoral's whole lights set which includes two of his D'Lite tip's, a stomach light, a mouth light and two ear lights......truly a fantastic set and so much more than just a d'lite.

However I know rocco has a patent on the D'Lite tip which is something not many magicians do, so I guess the patent says he owns it now.

Cheers Smile
Matt J.
Steve Oxford
View Profile
Regular user
Churchville,MD.
155 Posts

Profile of Steve Oxford
Hmmm? How does one get a patent on something that has already been on the market? D'lights are great, but there have been similar items before, obviously the performers Mr. Biro saw were doing this way before D'lights, so what gives with a patent being issued after the item has already been out?
Just curious
S.
ChrisG
View Profile
Elite user
Batavia, Ohio
448 Posts

Profile of ChrisG
Inventing is only the beginning. If you don't send in a patent application and receive a patent your invention is subject to being stolen. Also patents have a life span that require extensions if approved.

Modifications such as using LED's or miniature batteries could be cause for issuing a new patent.

There could be many reasons for this.

ChrisG
"Consensus is the negation of Leadership"

M. Thatcher
mattisdx
View Profile
Inner circle
1614 Posts

Profile of mattisdx
Who knows who inveneted them, personally I think they're just a novelty like black tiger cards Smile
Andini
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, OH
685 Posts

Profile of Andini
Matt J., Jay Scott Berry said the same thing at our lecture. He claimed that he was the original D'Lite creator, but I never believed him.
e-man
View Profile
Special user
HILTON HEAD,SC
810 Posts

Profile of e-man
Mr.Electric should have considered producing light bulbs from his finger tips?
我被烹调
ERIC HELVENSTON
newman1066
View Profile
New user
North Carolina, New York, Vermont,
53 Posts

Profile of newman1066
Re. The patent holder on D'Lites:

On 12 October 1995 a Roger C. Mayfarth of Linden, New Jersey applied for a U.S. patent on a "Pressure actuated light with digit accommodating housing means".

I would wager if dealers sealed their TTs and FTs in a 12" square box with a big Mylar label stating that the item inside was A Genuine, No Batteries Required Version, Of The Multi-Purpose Digit Accommodating Housing Means, the $1000 price tag sought by some of this board's participants to separate the truly motivated magicians-in-progress from the common herd of ribbon clerks would become a reality.

On 27 May 1997 U.S. Pat. No. 5,632,548 was granted to this applicant.

The most interesting section of Mr. Mayfarth's application, at least to me, was the other U.S. patents cited in the invention's background.

For example:
U.S. Pat. No. 5,188.447 granted to parties Chiang and Ratcliffe for an illuminating system inserted in the heel of a shoe that is activated by the pressure present when walking or running.

This device bears a distinct similarity to the red lights incorporated in the construction of a new style of famous brand athletic shoes. The media blitz that both preceded and accompanied the release of the new shoes in the 90's carried with it the challenge for the prospective owner to, "Take back the night!"

The product's popularity was rather short lived as their target market quickly discovered that those bright flashing red lights put them at a distinct disadvantage when fleeing the local gendarmerie after dark.
The wearers were probably dismayed to learn the feature that allowed them to, "Take back the night!" failed to come with any mechanism to turn off their "fleeing felon beacons" save ditching them mid-stride and continuing their flight barefoot.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18559 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
My guess is if no one else that had this item patented it, then the one that got smart and did so is the winner (maybe not ethically, but legally).
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
26944 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Nice thing about the current market is that even patents have no meaning, as you can easily ship an item offshore for reproduction and have thousands ready to sell and nobody can stop you.

All that MIGHT stop such a process is an ethical component in our community.

BUT for that to work, people will have to abandon any claims to copied material, and work almost directly with the inventors.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
jdknight
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of jdknight
I know it always seems to be different for magicians, but if one person invented an item, you can probably bet that someone else has already invented it as well. Regardless of whether or not anyone else is aware of it. With nearly 4 (?) billion people in the world, it would seem to be rare indeed that only one person could invent something independant of someone else.

You know, it was with great dismay that I see window cornices made from wooden molding being sold in every Home Depot or Expo, and Lowes store, as I invented these years ago... but never patented them (who would pay good money for such a simple thing?).

Oh Well... you can bet that I will patent my wooden kitchen utensils...someday!
jonnycardel
View Profile
New user
England (lakes)
50 Posts

Profile of jonnycardel
When ever I intent a new effect it's not long until I see it somewhere else. more so with internet
Magician walks down the road and turned into a bar, da daaa
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Everything old is new again » » D'Lites? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL